PDA

View Full Version : 788 extractors

Jack Stanley
12-08-2007, 07:37 PM
My extractor for my 788 is giving up the ghost it looks like . Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can replace one on a .223 bolt ? That isn't something I'd have to send the whole rifle is it . I don't think so but it don't hurt ta ask right ?

Jack

IcerUSA
12-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey Jack , is it fracuring or is it getting rounded off ? If the latter it could be filed a little go get it flat again and should be good to go for awhile .

FWIW

Keith

Scrounger
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
My extractor for my 788 is giving up the ghost it looks like . Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can replace one on a .223 bolt ? That isn't something I'd have to send the whole rifle is it . I don't think so but it don't hurt ta ask right ?

Jack

I used to shoot with an old gentleman who was an unofficial gunsmith and tinker. Remingtons were the rifles of choice in Silhouette shooting and he carried a supply of extractors with him to all the matches. He had a punch, a small hammer and a little anvil at his pickup. He could have your rifle back in action in 5 minutes or less. Come to think of it, there were two guys who did that as well as other emergency work as needed. I have been blessed with the gentlemen I met through shooting.

Scrounger
12-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Another popular cure was fitting M-16 or Sako extractors to Remington bolts.

Jack Stanley
12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
It's not fractured and doesn't really look as though it's rounded off . Rather it looks like it is stuck in the recess of the bolt . Tried to get it to wiggle or move by pushing it with a punch . Currently have it soaking in Kroil perhaps some crud is holding it .

Jack

Scrounger
12-09-2007, 12:51 AM
It's not fractured and doesn't really look as though it's rounded off . Rather it looks like it is stuck in the recess of the bolt . Tried to get it to wiggle or move by pushing it with a punch . Currently have it soaking in Kroil perhaps some crud is holding it .

Jack

There should be a rivet holding it in place. About 20 years ago Remington redesigned the extractor to work without the rivet. M788s should have the older extractors with rivets.

38-55
12-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Jack,
Are ya talking about the extractor or the ejector ? The extractors are still available from brownells or midway. If it's the ejector you may have to give it a few swift slaps with a brass punch..
They usually get stuck by a very small flake of brass getting wedged in them. The kroil soak is the first thing I would try but you make have to give it a whack or two as the problem may be a mechanical bind and not a dirt/carbon thing...
Stay safe
Calvin

Jack Stanley
12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Okay ..... it's my whoops . After soaking the extractor and wiping it out real well with a Q-tip . I can see now that the extractor is fractured ......... pretty hard to miss when it slides around when ya poke at it [smilie=1:
If the local gun shop looks at this and drools like Bubba , is there anybody else that can fix these ? A good gunsmith in southern Michigan would be nice .

Failing all that I guess I'd have to try the Brownells route and see how bad I can mess it up :roll:

Jack

IcerUSA
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Jack , what part of southern MI ? Only one I would recommend in the GR area would be at Al and Bob's in Grand Rapids , ask some of the shooters in your area also .

If you wind up doing it yourself , go slow , think about it a couple times , recheck your thoughts with the part in hand , think about it again , and if it still looks like the way to do it , go for it . Common sense goes a long way when working on your own stuff .

Take a look on Brownell's site in the Gun-smithing section also to see if there is something that applies to you . Or a web search for replacing it also , lot of info out there now days .

Keith

Jack Stanley
12-09-2007, 09:47 PM
When the going gets tough ..... I call the tough he he he . I gave a call to a guy that buillt my gas gun and he put me up on a spot so I'll see what happens there and check out Brownells just in case . Thanks

Jack

Jack Stanley
12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
The local spot bombed out ........ I handed them the bolt and said I needed an extractor and he immiediately looked at the opposite end the extractor was on :roll: He went to the back of the shop then returned and said It would have to be sent to Remington for repair . Poor fella ..... prolly din't know what an extractor was [smilie=1:

Looks like I'll hafta go slow like ya said .

Jack

oneokie
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Not a 788, but still a Rem. extractor.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=327

Scrounger
12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107061

This is an excerpt from The Firing Line:
George Stringer
03-30-2002, 08:55 AM

While I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought, just from what I've seen this past year alone would say that the factory extractor is the 700's weak spot. I looked back over my log from last year and while I had a bunch of 700s in for rebarreling, I only had 5 in for repair. All 5 had broken extractors. Installing the Sako style extractors is one of the most often asked for jobs on the 700 in my shop. I even made a jig a couple of years ago just for that operation. I've never had a rifle brought in with a Sako style extractor where the extractor was the problem. On the other hand it is much less expensive to have a new Rem extractor installed if you need one. Marlin is making the old riveted style for Brownells these days and they are about $45 installed vice about $85 for the Sako style. George

Apparently George is a gunsmith with experience on the Rem and Sako extractors.

Jack Stanley
12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I'll have to do a google search and see if I can find him . I tried the controls at TFL and got a merry-go-round of sorts . It looks as though the last time he posted was 2003 . I'll hafta nose around some .

Jack

beagle
12-11-2007, 08:54 PM
The M788 extractors are a bit different from M700 extractors.

I finally fixed my .257 Roberts by having a Sako extractor installed. Best investment I've made.

Outback Gun Parts in Indiana had M788 extractors. I got a .30/30 extractor or a couple from him. He has a listing on the net.

Outback Gun Parts
Business Information:
Company: Outback Gun Parts
Address:
2110 McLean Ave
New Albany IN 47150
Phone: 812-945-0480

Wendell L. Allen

Visits by appointment only

Failing that, contact Dennis Olson in Plains, MT and he'll probably put a Sako on it and you'll be fixed forever./beagle

James Wisner
12-12-2007, 01:35 AM
I have to chuckle a little as Outback as a source of 788 extractors.

Sometimes I get tired of counting them out and sealing them in bags to ship to Wendell.

Brownells has the old stlye riveted 222 Remington size extractor made to the old specs. They are good. I also carry them as I buy in bulk from Brownells and resale them.

Brownells also carry the 308 size riveted extractor, They are made by a Major Gunmaker here in the states. I also buy in bulk from Brownells and resale them.

The 30-30 and 44 extractors and ejectors we make in house.

If you can not find someone to replace the broken extractor drop me a line. I just need the bolt as I can check function in one of my sample rilfes.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Jack Stanley
12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks James , The rifle isn't one I use every day but I sure would like to have it ready to . It would be nice if this stuff was unbreakable but I know how mechanical things are ...... anything can break .

Jack

beagle
12-13-2007, 12:21 AM
He's the only one I found when I had my tail in a crack. This was a .30/30 that I was hunting for and he was close to me here in KY. Ben maybe 10 years ago too./beagle

I have to chuckle a little as Outback as a source of 788 extractors.

Sometimes I get tired of counting them out and sealing them in bags to ship to Wendell.

Brownells has the old stlye riveted 222 Remington size extractor made to the old specs. They are good. I also carry them as I buy in bulk from Brownells and resale them.

Brownells also carry the 308 size riveted extractor, They are made by a Major Gunmaker here in the states. I also buy in bulk from Brownells and resale them.

The 30-30 and 44 extractors and ejectors we make in house.

If you can not find someone to replace the broken extractor drop me a line. I just need the bolt as I can check function in one of my sample rilfes.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith