PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556 Russian Who has one

Marvin S
01-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Looking at them and wanted to know what you all think.

Plastikosmd
01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Not a 556 but I do own a sig 553p. This is the Swiss imported gun. I am not a black gun guy, so much, but it is one of the most fun guns I own.

Intel6
01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I recently found one and picked it up as it was exactly what I was looking for, AK caliber and action but in a modern package with better ergonomics and easy to mount and optic.

I have been able to get out and shoot it some and I have really been impressed with it. I was using the preferred Golden Tiger ammo (loaded with a BT bullet) and was getting easy hits on the 400 m steel plate at our range with a red dot. I plan on putting a low power optic on it to make it more useful.

About the only other change I made was to change out the grip with a Hogue. The factory one had too much of a rake on it and I had to really shift my grip to work the safety lever.

Neal in AZ

Marvin S
01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks. I doubt you are left handed but does it seem to be left hand friendly?

Intel6
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Good Guess:grin: I am not left handed so that would be a tough call. I know the ejection port area is not giant and they have the rubber seals for the cocking handle to seal it off even more so it would seem decent in keeping the gas/debris down to a lefty. Mag release is like an AK so you access it from either side. Cases are ejected forward to the right so I don't think that is an issue either and would say it appears to be lefty friendly.

Marvin S
02-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks

timspawn
02-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I have had one for a few years. My complaints are the lack of a front sight, the crummy rear sight and the mag "wobble". The sights are fixable and the mag "wobble" is reduced if you use shorter mags like the Romanian 20 rounders. I put an Aimpoint and a suppressor on it and it is fun to shoot. Also the folding stock makes it fit nicely under the rear seat of my truck.

Intel6
02-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Due to limited choices for sights I decided to add a Midwest industries railed forend which will let me use regular AR15 backup irons.

As for mags, I just got a few of the new Magpul AK mags to try and talk about zero mag wobble. They are not hard/tight to lock in, they go in nice but then they are solid.

Neal in AZ

timspawn
02-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Due to limited choices for sights I decided to add a Midwest industries railed forend which will let me use regular AR15 backup irons.

As for mags, I just got a few of the new Magpul AK mags to try and talk about zero mag wobble. They are not hard/tight to lock in, they go in nice but then they are solid.

Neal in AZ

I'll have to check out the Magpul mags. Do they make a twenty rounder?

Intel6
02-18-2014, 02:43 PM
No, unfortunately no 20 rounder's, that would be too perfect. I got a chunky 30 rd Promag with the gun and it seemed to work fine so I tried a few of the same thing in 20 rds. They were cheap (cheaper then the Romanian 20's if you can find them) and they have been working well so I will continue to use them until something better comes along.

timspawn
02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
I prefer 20's in the AR and AK platform. They are great on the bench and practical in the field.

2wheelDuke
02-18-2014, 05:31 PM
This gun is high on my "I want one someday" list. I think the Tavor is higher though.