PDA

View Full Version : Need a contact in Tennessee - buying land

markshere2
01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi gang,

We're planning a land purchase in Eastern TN. ( gotta move to a warmer place)

The realtor works for the seller (as always). I will need a lawyer to make the sale and I want my lawyer to be working FOR ME.

Anybody know an honest TN lawyer, preferably one that specializes in land/ real estate sales?

Thanks

Mark

LNK
01-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Location would help. Where are you looking?

LNK

felix
01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Need to tell purchaser (lawyer) to make up two offers: one pay what is wanted by the seller with owner finance, and one discounted to your satisfaction for a cash payment. Works every time with zero arguments back and forth. Always give the seller TWO or more choices, and subconsciously they assume that is the only two forthcoming. And, don't deviate from that. I know for SURE. Lawyers are all over the place on the internet, and it should be zero problems in finding one who will work for you at YOUR price. ... felix

contender1
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Actually, have you considered getting a RE agent that is a buyers agent? In NC, we can have both as well as other states. You just have to look for a buyers agent. The lawyers will handle the closing.
I'm just across the ridges in WNC.

WILCO
01-24-2014, 01:22 PM
http://www.tba.org/info/find-an-attorney

RickinTN
01-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Like posted above I don't think you need a Lawyer. You do need a buyer's real estate agent to represent you. They would be paid half of the commission from the sale and won't cost you any extra. Knowing what part of East Tennessee may be of help too. The buyer's agent represents you in the transaction and His/Her fiduciary duty lies with you. Something I will mention to you is that tradition varies from county to county as to who (the buyer or the seller) furnishes and pays for title insurance. A local agent can tell which prevails in their county. Either way, get title insurance. The sale will be closed by a title company (lawyers) in order to record the deed properly and to review the title insurance and make sure all prorations (property taxes and any other annual fees on the property) are done correctly.
Good Luck with your purchase,
Rick

markshere2
01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
WOW! What a tribe! 6 replies in 4 hours. Thanks ALL!

We're looking in Claiborne county, north of Morristown.

I will ping other real estate agencies in the area to find a representative and ask what the tradition is regarding title insurance.

I will contact Felix direct to discuss his technique, I'm not real clear on it so a phone call may be better - will do that via PM.

RICK thanks for the specific details!

RoyEllis
01-24-2014, 08:59 PM
WOW! What a tribe! 6 replies in 4 hours. Thanks ALL!

Sorry sir! But you lost me back there at "honest lawyer".....got bogged down in the irony of the oxymoron.:lol:

Houndog
01-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Mark,
Call my cousin, Karen Leimkuhler. ( lime cooler) She's an agent for Century 21 realtors in Kingsport TN. ( about 50 miles from Clayborne county) She can tell you anything you want to know. Her office number is (423)239-6112 and her cell number is (423)676-1443.
Tell her Aaron said to call.

whelenshooter
01-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Don't move to Tennessee. It's an awful place to live. Scenery is terrible (especially in middle and east Tennessee). The people are mean and rude. The hunting is bad. Taxes are high. And it's so crowded we can't fit one more person in. Better stay where you are.

:kidding:
David

markshere2
01-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Don't move to Tennessee. It's an awful place to live. Scenery is terrible (especially in middle and east Tennessee). The people are mean and rude. The hunting is bad. Taxes are high. And it's so crowded we can't fit one more person in. Better stay where you are.

:kidding:
David

OK you got it! I understand. You don't want any more employed, hard working, .mil retirees that vote conservative

and like to shoot.

Oh well, I guess I gotta move to a liberal place and learn to sponge off .gov. You don't mind paying a little

more, do you?

Just kidding right back...

AK Caster
01-25-2014, 09:58 AM
No one has asked this question so I will:

Have you found the land you want to buy yet? Any good agent will be happy to assist you if you have.
If not, good luck. More relators just give people the brush off unless they have the listing.

AK Caster
01-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Need to tell purchaser (lawyer) to make up two offers: one pay what is wanted by the seller with owner finance, and one discounted to your satisfaction for a cash payment. Works every time with zero arguments back and forth. Always give the seller TWO or more choices, and subconsciously they assume that is the only two forthcoming. And, don't deviate from that. I know for SURE. Lawyers are all over the place on the internet, and it should be zero problems in finding one who will work for you at YOUR price. ... felix

Why would you need two premade offers? Not sure how many owners are in a position to do owner finance. And if they choose not to, they would still receive "cash" from the buyers finance company.

markshere2
01-25-2014, 11:20 AM
yes we have the land selected, thanks.

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 12:41 PM
When we bought our land in Crossville is was listed by a relator and he set up the closing with a local law firm. Thanks to HUD all closing transactions are on the up and up and every detail and fee is spelled out.
Our closing fee was only 650 for 165,000 in property value as seller paid half. We did elect to purchase title insurance that cost just over $700 and I thought the fee was to high to be honest.