PDA

View Full Version : New Spanish FR-8 Mauser

trooperdan
08-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Something just spoke to me and said, "This will be a great cast boolit shooter!" And I think the price was OK at $150.

There is a lot of copper in the bore but I'm working on that with Sweets. Once I get her spic and span, no condum boolits will touch her innocent bore again!

Kinda a chunky little carbine and looks a bit odd with the combo flash hider/grenade launcher hung on the end! The stock has been broken through at the wrist but it looks like it has been repaired well so hopefully it will hold. it looks like they put a screw through the wrist and patched the holes with wood plugs.+

Frank46
09-01-2005, 12:37 AM
trooperdan, I had one of those little carbines with the crude sights. You can get the bayonet now from cheaper than dirt. Was not shooting cast at the time so used some west german 7.62 ball. Was fairly accurate, but heard stories of these rifles devloping excess headspace due to the poor quality of either the heat treatment or the steel itself. Later on though it was learned that these rifles were chambered for the 308 cetme cartridge which if I remember correctly was identical to the 7.62 cartridge but was loaded to lower pressures. Mine was in mint condition, and I eventually let someone make me an offer I could not refuse. Since you plan on doing just cast boolits
in that puppy then you should have no problems. Believe it was an action similar to the spanish 1893 action. Frank

Buckshot
09-01-2005, 03:12 AM
............Frank the small ring conversions were the FR-7's. FR-8's are built on 1898 actions.

............TrooperDan, for $150 you did very well, even with a busted stock assuming it was an arsenal repair (so far as a collector is concerned). Prett potent little package there.

...........Buckshot