PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what people will voluntarily pay for ammo!

winchester85
01-22-2014, 07:05 PM
i was cleaning out my ammo cabinet a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to sell off the two boxes of winchester factory ammo for 375 win. i looked on gunbroker and found that boxes were going for $50 to $60. i dont normally shoot factory ammo, and i have brass and cast bullets so i figured for that price i would sell it. i almost put a buy it now of $60 on them, but instead just started them at $40.

someone bid them up, way up. i got $93 for one box, and $86 for the other! plus the shipping.

jcwit
01-22-2014, 07:08 PM
LOL, I guess that's the buyer finding the "fair market value".

pretzelxx
01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
It really depends on location too. My dad can get ammo a lot cheaper than me, and they have supplies for reloading in stock. I barely find the empty boxes of components or ammo.

jonas302
01-22-2014, 07:16 PM
I enjoy selling and buying on Auctions win some lose some but always entertained

Hardcast416taylor
01-22-2014, 09:53 PM
A local long time established auction company recently went on line for most of their auctions. Ammo brings higher than normal prices with .22 ammo bringing $65 - $75 for a 500 round brick of any brand yet.Robert

Garyshome
01-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Wow $179.00 would buy a lot of reloading stuff!

472x1B/A
01-22-2014, 10:51 PM
It 'really' is amazing isn't it. This guy I know works for a tire company here. One day we were talking and he asked me if I had any .22 lr ammo. I said, yeh some. Hey you want to do some trading? What for what? Well I know you do some casting so how bout WW for .22's. Ok bring what you have over and we can do something. Holy ****!!! He brought over 1065 lbs. of WW. So how many .22's ya want? How about 5 bricks for all of it? Well needless to say I won't have to look for WW for a few months. This was about 5 weeks ago.

dbosman
01-22-2014, 11:36 PM
It might be time for some of the prepers to dig up their stashes and live like princes for a while.

TXGunNut
01-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I saw a couple boxes of .375 Win on the shelf @ Wally World a couple of years ago, been there awhile and price was under $30 IIRC. Went looking for them next time I was in the store.....oh well. I don't shoot that rifle much and have plenty of ammo and components.

uscra112
01-23-2014, 01:35 AM
It is amazin' ain't it? But that's the beauty of the Internet - you can actually reach that one guy who wants it that badly, and has the money to pay.

The other side of that coin being that all the bargains have disappeared from the local fun shows.

(sigh)

jonp
01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
i was cleaning out my ammo cabinet a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to sell off the two boxes of winchester factory ammo for 375 win. i looked on gunbroker and found that boxes were going for $50 to $60. i dont normally shoot factory ammo, and i have brass and cast bullets so i figured for that price i would sell it. i almost put a buy it now of $60 on them, but instead just started them at $40.

someone bid them up, way up. i got $93 for one box, and $86 for the other! plus the shipping.
Wow! Congrats on the price you got!

jonp
01-25-2014, 11:09 AM
It 'really' is amazing isn't it. This guy I know works for a tire company here. One day we were talking and he asked me if I had any .22 lr ammo. I said, yeh some. Hey you want to do some trading? What for what? Well I know you do some casting so how bout WW for .22's. Ok bring what you have over and we can do something. Holy ****!!! He brought over 1065 lbs. of WW. So how many .22's ya want? How about 5 bricks for all of it? Well needless to say I won't have to look for WW for a few months. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Jeez! I never meet people like that.

jonp
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I found a few thousand .22lr on a shelf in a closet I was cleaning out that I didn't know I had. At $75/500 that would buy me a new laminate floor for the bathroom.

Blacksmith
01-25-2014, 10:22 PM
There is an auction in process over on the CMP web site for three enblock clips of .30-06 API and the bid now, with 13 days remaining, is $176.00. That is for 24 rounds of corrosive ammo ($7.33 per round).

The description:

"FN 30-06 M14 API 24 Cartridges

Cartridge, Caliber .30, Armor Piercing Incendiary M14. These are 30-06 cartridges. (Not to be confused with the M14 Rifle, which is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO) These 24 cartridges were manufactured by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. All cartridges in this lot have 55 or 56 headstamps, and are corrosively primed. They are clipped in JMO M1 clips, two of which are dated 71 and the other 73.

Please ensure these are legal to possess in your locale before bidding. These are being sold as collector items and should not be fired, due to the extreme fire hazard. These cartridges are aged surplus military ammunition. This ammunition is NOT newly-manufactured, and is sold STRICTLY IN “AS IS” CONDITION, with no warranty expressed or implied.

See pictures for details before bidding. "

Of course you do get 3 clips with it. Here is the link
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=1709&n=FN-30-06-M14-API-24-Cartridges

Jammersix
01-26-2014, 12:17 AM
LOL, I guess that's the buyer finding the "fair market value".

Why do you think this is okay, and other sales aren't?

Why don't you think this gentleman needs a license, jcwit?

DeanWinchester
01-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Good job winchester85! Just be careful, some whinning baby will undoubtedly label you a price gouger. LOL!

jcwit
01-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Why do you think this is okay, and other sales aren't?

Why don't you think this gentleman needs a license, jcwit?

Only needs a license if he makes a business of it, that is what makes the difference. You may need to look into just what it takes to be in the retail business on the state and federal level in todays world.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 01:15 AM
Good job winchester85! Just be careful, some whinning baby will undoubtedly label you a price gouger. LOL!

Not a gouger if it is sold at auction, the buyers set the selling price, no one else does.

starmac
01-26-2014, 01:23 AM
The buyer always sets the price, if it is not a necessity, auction or not. You have to remember at any auction, you have to be willing to pay more than anyone else that is there. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Love Life
01-26-2014, 01:24 AM
I'm confused.

So if I buy a brick of 22lr today for $20 and put it on Gunbroker and it sells for $60.00 I am evil gouger guy.

However; if I sell an oddball for a bunch of money then I get an exploding fist bump?

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 01:28 AM
I'm confused.

So if I buy a brick of 22lr today for $20 and put it on Gunbroker and it sells for $60.00 I am evil gouger guy.

However; if I sell an oddball for a bunch of money then I get an exploding fist bump?

I think the word "Vintage" helps with evil gouger guy sindrome.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 01:45 AM
The buyer always sets the price, if it is not a necessity, auction or not. You have to remember at any auction, you have to be willing to pay more than anyone else that is there. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Not really, I pulled up to a gas pump the other day, stuck the card in and I sure as He!! didn't set the price, that was done by someone sitting in an office telling the station what to sell it for. No input by me at all.

Nor did it happen at the grocery store the other day either.

Nor are those who are buying propane setting the increased price of their propane fuel.

Did you set the price the last time you or your's went to the Dr.?

Love Life
01-26-2014, 01:55 AM
By paying for your gas and driving away you did set the price.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2014, 01:57 AM

Exactly. If enough people stopped buying gas for long enough the price would go down.

Blacksmith
01-26-2014, 03:46 PM
There is a difference in accepting a price and setting a price. Many of us on fixed incomes adjust other aspects of our lives in order to cope with rising prices. We may car pool or drive less, shoot reloadable ammo or shoot less, eat hamburger instead of pot roast or some folks eat cat food. People can accept prices or do without because if people always set their own price I am certain there would be nobody in business because they can't operate at a loss.

Freightman
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
There is a difference in accepting a price and setting a price. Many of us on fixed incomes adjust other aspects of our lives in order to cope with rising prices. We may car pool or drive less, shoot reloadable ammo or shoot less, eat hamburger instead of pot roast or some folks eat cat food. People can accept prices or do without because if people always set their own price I am certain there would be nobody in business because they can't operate at a loss.
Yes and my fixed income keeps shrinking. :roll:

jcwit
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Sorry, I only accepted the price the station set, if the station across the street was 1 or 2 cents cheaper I would have accepted their price.

Having to accept the price because I need "say have to" travel from point A to point B and back again is a far cry from setting the price.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Exactly. If enough people stopped buying gas for long enough the price would go down.

So how do you purpose for me to get to and from the Dr.? Walking is not an option.

Doing without transportation is also not an option.

Maybe you should get rid of the gas guzzler P/U and drive a Honda FIT instead, by your logic if bunches of people would do this the price of fuel would come down for all of us.

Love Life
01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Just as the person who "needs" 22lr, and pays the current real market price, has indeed set the price...

jcwit
01-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Just as the person who "needs" 22lr, and pays the current real market price, has indeed set the price...

So you're telling me the major retailers have no idea what the "real market price is"?

Maybe you should start writing for Jay Leno?

My need for transportation is a far cry from my "need" for .22's.

Fools can "accept" inflated pricing "set" by those who "gouge" their fellows by "setting" prices far and above the "market" price "set" by major retailers. The base their "needs" not on "need" but on their "wants".

Love Life
01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Wally world knows what the real retail price is, but they also know that it will sit on the shelves longer. With their modest price rise they are making money, and keeping customers happy. What the evil gouger guys sell for is the real market price. The market as shown what it would take.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Wally world knows what the real retail price is, but they also know that it will sit on the shelves longer. With their modest price rise they are making money, and keeping customers happy. What the evil gouger guys sell for is the real market price. The market as shown what it would take.

In your opinion!

The market has shown what it will take by the

Fools who "accept" inflated pricing "set" by those who "gouge" their fellows by "setting" prices far and above the "market" price "set" by major retailers. The base their "needs" not on "need" but on their "wants".

My opinion of course.

Love Life
01-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Jcwit, you need to go back to playing with your dinosaurs.

beezapilot
01-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Prices....
Gunshow today. CCI Small pistol primers $25 per K. I've not seen that price in a while so bought 5K- just joking asked him if he would take $100 cash for the lot- he even smiled when he said "OK".

jcwit
01-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Jcwit, you need to go back to playing with your dinosaurs.

That's the best you can do?

How many years of experience in the retail market do you have?

How many successful business have you owned and ran?

The 2 of us have opposing views, you will never see it my way and are set in your views, as am I, doubtful neither of us will convince the other.

So be it!

Love Life
01-26-2014, 08:16 PM
That is true jcwit. We do have opposing views.

Based off your responses during this whole shortage, your experience in the retail market is really void to any of these arguments.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
That is true jcwit. We do have opposing views.

Based off your responses during this whole shortage, your experience in the retail market is really void to any of these arguments.

May all be, but I was successful for 44 years in the retail business the last 20 with my own business. Retired at the ripe old age of 58.

I'll stand by my success.

Love Life
01-26-2014, 08:32 PM
And you know what? You can't argue with success.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 08:49 PM
And you know what? You can't argue with success.

LOL, how is that being put?

I like that, either way, well put!

Jammersix
01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Only needs a license if he makes a business of it, that is what makes the difference. You may need to look into just what it takes to be in the retail business on the state and federal level in todays world.

jcwit, in our world, (the United States, the states thereof, and the various local governments therein) the word "business" has a very specific definition, just so we can tell whether we need a particular license or to pay a particular tax, or not.

I promise you, private sales of ammunition don't make the cut, no matter how much they annoy you, personally.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
jcwit, in our world, (the United States, the states thereof, and the various local governments therein) the word "business" has a very specific definition, just so we can tell whether we need a particular license or to pay a particular tax, or not.

I promise you, private sales of ammunition don't make the cut, no matter how much they annoy you, personally.

Continuously selling a product over a period of time makes those transactions a business does it not.

One can make a private sale of a firearm now and then, but after a number of "private" sales more than likely one will have the ATF &E knocking on your door wishing to see the licenses required to conduct said business. Don't believe it, try it.

Profits acquired from sales private or otherwise are to be reported, to think otherwise, you need to read the tax codes.

Jammersix
01-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Continuously selling a product over a period of time makes those transactions a business does it not.

Not even close.

jcwit
01-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Not even close.

You sir live in a fantasy land.

Or have no idea of the legalities of what being in the retail business is.

Jammersix
01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Sorry, retired. Ran a business for a quarter of a century.

You have provided an evening of amusement, though.