PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Large Pistol Primers Leaking in non-magnum loads?

Roundball
01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Due to price and availability Winchester primers have been a favorite. I recently noticed some minor gas cutting on the slide face of several 45's. These were older pre-owned SIG's, Colt's and Glock's. This cutting was also found in some 45's that I purchased new. This gas cutting was not evident in the 10mm guns or the 44 Magnums. Loads were made up with 231, Unique, BE and some Power Pistol in normal loads-no atomic blasters. For the most part, the rounds were loaded with 452460's and 452374 cast from WW's, Brass was usually segregated by brand-mainly Winchester and Remington. The brass was a mixture of range pick-up and once fired. I'm planning to change primers but am mainly seeking to find out if this happens elsewhere or am I just blessed:(

leadman
01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I think you are blessed or have some brass with worn or large primer pockets. I have used Win LP almost exclusively for 20 years or more in light to heavy loads and have seen no such problem. Not to say there could not be a bad batch.
Pictures would help so we could tell if it was the cup leaking or gas going around the cup. Are the primer pockets cleaned before repriming?

Roundball
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Generally, the brass is cleaned in a Dillon tumbler and the primer pockets not cleaned separately. Sorry, unable to take pictures. The cutting appears as small pits matching the circumference of the primer on the slide breech face. This cutting does not occur in the higher pressure cartridges.

captaint
01-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Sounds like classic gas leaking past the primer, around the circumference. It's quite possible that the higher pressure loads are expanding the primer to seal the leak. That's all I got. Either way, that's an issue that must get fixed. You don't want to be gas cutting your breachfaces. Probably worn primer pockets, if I had to guess. Mike

runfiverun
01-22-2014, 09:25 PM
could be oversized flash holes on the brass too.
larger flash holes allows more pressure into the primer cup.

John Guedry
01-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Those are all I use and have never had that happen.

Old School Big Bore
01-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Been through tens of thousands of WLP and WSP in numerous guns - revos, autos, rifles - with nothing like that. Look closely at fired primers after decapping, and the pockets they came out of. Measure the fired primers' diameters in several places looking for out-of-round, and for scorching/residue on the sides. Examine the pockets for scorching/residue on the sides of the pockets as well. Are new primers seating firmly or perhaps too easily in your brass? Do you use just mixed brass for everything, or do you segregate them into fresh for match, older for training/plinking, etc?