PDA

View Full Version : Woooo Hooooo... Polar Vortex...

AlaskanGuy
01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
I just love this polar vortex.... Baking here in Alaska with temps in the 45 range... Almost no snow around my part of Alaska, but fierce wind last few days... Up to 70 mph... But warmmmmmmmm.... Cant wait to get out to the range....

AG

Your welcome to share you guys in the lower 48..... He he

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 12:16 PM
It was 1 when I woke up w/ a predicted high of 17. It's not supposed to get above freezing at any point for over a week. This is in SE PA. We are well below average.

Almost forgot that the wind chill was knocking on -20.

MtGun44
01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
I think that in the old days, when the weather services just gave weather, rather
than trying to "sex up" a "Product" to SELL - we called it. . . . .

WEATHER.

When you have a bunch of air time to fill with fairly mundane, factual and dry
information, apparently the idiots in charge tell the talking heads to come up
with some sort of "NEW, NEW, NEW" every other day.

Weather has been around forever, and changes a LOT from day to day and year
to year, but ultimately - it is the same old.

Also, the fascist types that want to use "global warming" as a way to get them more
of your money and to get more control over your life insist on trying to make
this some apocalyptic event on a monthly basis - just "Weather" doesn't fit their
political needs for more power and money.

Bill

AlaskanGuy
01-22-2014, 12:53 PM
The term Polar Vortex has been around for a long time... First coined in the 1940's and used in many textbooks on weather.... The term was used recently on the today show, and I love it..lol... A simple definition is, I am warm, and you are Cold... :happy dance:

Bohica793
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Damned global warming.....

snowwolfe
01-22-2014, 01:01 PM
LOL, you can still keep the Alaskan winters. Yesterday it was 62 in Colorado Springs and me and the Corvette went for a long drive as I wore a tee shirt and gym shorts.

Isaac
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Yep! Its pretty darn cold around these parts (North Central Maryland somewhere below Gettysburg, Pa.) News reported it to be +1 this morning In Frederick, Md. at about 7 am.

Overall we've had much colder temps then we're used to. On Opening Day of deer season back in November the thermometer on the farmers barn where I hunt indicated +9. Very unusual for November.

The prediction is for another snow event this weekend.

Isaac

2wheelDuke
01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
This polar air has daytime temperatures here in S. Florida down in the 60's. It's beautiful.

gwpercle
01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Is "polar vortex" what they are now calling the global warming thing ? That warming thing didn't pan out. I read about a bunch of " activist" that took a trip to the Artic to witness the melting polar ice cap and thier ship got stuck in the ice, the ice breaker couldn't reach them because of the thick ice and they finally got them off the stuck ship with a Russian helicopter. Melting ice caps ain't happening! What to do now?
Gary

Crash_Corrigan
01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
I ain't complaining @ 70 degrees with full sun here in Vegas.

starmac
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Keep your 45 AND wind down there. We had a little melting off the roof going on yesterday, way too early to start melting off.

rockrat
01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Snowwolfe, wouldn't brag too much, you just might get snow tomorrow!! On the other hand, balmy 30 degrees on the Western Slope 200 miles west of you, and supposed to get to 42 today.

cbrick
01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
I think that in the old days, when the weather services just gave weather, rather
than trying to "sex up" a "Product" to SELL - we called it. . . . .

WEATHER.

When you have a bunch of air time to fill with fairly mundane, factual and dry
information, apparently the idiots in charge tell the talking heads to come up
with some sort of "NEW, NEW, NEW" every other day.

Weather has been around forever, and changes a LOT from day to day and year
to year, but ultimately - it is the same old.

Also, the fascist types that want to use "global warming" as a way to get them more
of your money and to get more control over your life insist on trying to make
this some apocalyptic event on a monthly basis - just "Weather" doesn't fit their
political needs for more power and money. Bill

As usual Bill nailed it. :coffeecom

The other day the neighbor lady was complaining about the polar vortex. I asked her is that what you call it? She said sure, what do you call it?

I said . . . Winter, it's January. :mrgreen:

Rick

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Yesterday I looked out the window.

HMMMM sunny clear sky no wind.

4 miles away a total white out for miles and miles.

10 miles away one town received 20" of snow in about 2 hours.

Yes it is just winter in Chicagoland.

Just like it has been since time began in this area and we have been able to keep records.

CastingFool
01-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Went out this afternoon and it was 10 degrees.

wlc
01-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Alaskanguy, we are really warm too. 40+. I DON'T like it. Everything is slick as greased lightning and the snow is getting gone quick. Nasty, nasty, nasty. We don't need or really want two break-ups this year. I will agree on the nice to be able to shoot outside without getting frostbite though.

AlaskanGuy
01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Dang... On my way to anchorage, and I did NOT bring the cleats.... Oh well... Gunna see the spine doc, so if I fall and bust my ***, I will be in the perfect place..... [smilie=1:

osteodoc08
01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Not too bad here in GA. Cold, but not bad. I hope it kills off some of those pesky skeeters

bikerbeans
01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
AG,

Enjoy the mud and the bugs.[smilie=1:

BB

arjacobson
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
They are talking 50 below windchills tomorrow.....we have a main break to fix.....not fun....I want to punch al gore in the mouth...........

wlc
01-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Dang... On my way to anchorage, and I did NOT bring the cleats.... Oh well... Gunna see the spine doc, so if I fall and bust my ***, I will be in the perfect place..... [smilie=1:

Don't know about ANC. I live in the valley and haven't traveled out of AK in a while..... :)

ETA: I've got a good friend in Delta Junction and he always has said that ANC is so close that on a clear day you can actually see Alaska from there. :):)

Not too bad here in GA. Cold, but not bad. I hope it kills off some of those pesky skeeters

If cold weather could kill skeeters then it wouldn't be our state bird.:) We've got like 26 or 27 different species of the little blood suckers and they attack with a vengeance and in mass numbers....

dagger dog
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
30 days has Septober, April June and no wonder, all the rest have cold weather, except for July which isn't very often !

uscra112
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
If cold weather could kill skeeters then it wouldn't be our state bird.:) We've got like 26 or 27 different species of the little blood suckers and they attack with a vengeance and in mass numbers....

True story, according to my friend who fishes in Alaska: Two mosquitoes are heard arguing over a sleeping camper.
One says "Should we eat him here or drag him onto the bush?"
The other says "Well, whatever we do, we better be quick, or the big guys will get him".

And another factoid, according to an Alaska biologist: the total mass of mosquitoes in Alaska exceeds that of all other life forms combined.

Echo
01-22-2014, 06:55 PM
I guess I'm missing out on some actual weather - high here yesterday was 79...

geargnasher
01-22-2014, 11:39 PM
We only have two kinds of 'skeeters in Texas: The kind that fly between the wires on your screen door, and the kind that just kicks the door in.

But between the Cedar, Huisache, Mesquite, burr-bearing plants, prickly vines/briars, and cactus I think we have plenty of interesting flora at least. Then there's the ground hornets, fire ants, killer bees, scorpions, centipedes (some over a foot long), chiggars, termites, and ticks to keep things interesting.

It was about sixty-five, clear, and calm all afternoon. Supposed to sleet and snow tomorrow, which won't surprise me a bit. If you don't like the weather here, just sit down and wait a bit, it will change.

Gear

bubba15301
01-23-2014, 12:01 AM
-12 last night in sw pa.heatwave tonight 5degrees above

MaryB
01-23-2014, 01:47 AM
typical Jan in MN high around zero, dropping to around -12 I think tonight. Not unusual, I remember going 2 weeks in a row several times in the 70's and 80's where the high never broke zero. Just wish my body handled it better... getting old and beat up sucks [smilie=b:

Bzcraig
01-23-2014, 01:53 AM
71 today, 37 overnight. Unseasonably warm and extremely dry. You will probably hear of massive wildfires in the west this year!

MtGun44
01-23-2014, 01:57 AM
gear,

Your latitude is whacky. Is that a joke or what? Assuming "29 deg 68 minutes" = 30 deg 8 minutes,
gets me a tree in a pasture near the Chinquapin Ranch, about 2 miles south of Mountain Home, TX.

Bill

Blacksmith
01-23-2014, 01:59 AM
South of Philadelphia North of Baltimore current temp 7 wind chill -5 predicted morning temp 1 wind chill -9. Spent the morning shoveling 10 to 12 inches of global warming and more may come this weekend. Friends decided not to go to Florida this winter so I am blaming them.

zuke
01-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Walked to work this morning, -43 with the wind

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2014, 10:03 PM
And I would guess you wore your sandles,shorts and Cast Boolit T shirt on such a balmy day.:bigsmyl2:

starmac
01-23-2014, 10:49 PM
No need for even a light jacket here today, but it was a major skating rink every where you went. I pushed a shopping cart out of wallmart and it slid sideways across the main road in front of the store. lol

wlc
01-23-2014, 11:16 PM
County we lived in in GA before we moved up here is delaying school 2 hours in the morning due to the wind chills. I just laughed. Schools around here still let the kids go out for recess at -20.

I've got a big skating rink here too starmac. The snow on a lot of the lakes is gone and nothing there but ice and overflow. The weather out of ANC is showing warm temps for at least the next 7 days....

MtGun44
01-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Dang, it was 4 here this AM and is 8 now. They are claiming it will be 46 tomorrow PM.

I'll take 46 over 4 any time.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
01-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Its about 29 above here in south eastern texas

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2014, 07:06 AM
think alaska moved here. Its been a cold winter. There were only a couple days with temps above the single didgits. Many mornings including today below zero.

blackthorn
01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I grew up in south west Manitoba, not too far north of the North Dacota border. I attended a one room country school (grades 1 to 8) (14 kids in the whole school. Some kids came over 3 miles to school (I had 3/4 mile) and Not only do I not recall ever shutting down school due to cold weather, I don't recall anyone missing any time due to cold weather either. I do think the reason schools get closed these days is due to wimpy teachers not kids! If you look around those kids who were let off school due to a little cold are likely outside playing!

Isaac
01-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Local radio report in Maryland today stated that the temps have been below 32 degrees since 10:52 AM this past Tuesday morning. I can tell you from the daily reports, most of those temps have been have been in the teens.

When it does get back into the 30's, we'll be in short sleeves. LOL

Isaac

largom
01-24-2014, 11:09 PM
2 below zero here in the middle Tenn. this morning. Wish you yankee's would keep this stuff up north.

Larry

Freightman
01-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Friday morning at 4 am it was 7 went back to bed got up at 8am it was 20 by 10am it was 50. By noon 60 never boring.

GLL
01-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Another brutal winter here in Pasadena, CA !
It has been 80-85 and very clear the past two weeks.
When the temperature drops into the 60s and we get 1/4" of rain the busty weather-ladies on TV call it a "deadly winter storm" ! :)

Jerry

cbrick
01-25-2014, 01:23 PM
They call it . . . Storm watch 2014, news at 11.

Rick