PDA

View Full Version : .35 Whelen....Again!

RBak
12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I have a 1:12 twist, number 3, 26.5" Douglas on a Howa 1500 Action, and I will be coming into posession of my very own 358009 very shortly.

BassA gave me some excellent pointers on shooting the 205 RCBS, and the 250 SAECO a few years back using RL15, now I am wondering if anyone is using this same powder for the heavier 358009.
Since I liked those loads so well in the lighter boolits, I have a several cans of that powder, and I would like to keep using it unless there is something better.

I also have several pounds of AA5744 that I use in both my 45-70 and the .35 Whelen, but I don't have a load with that powder that will equal the RL15 load for accuracy in the .35.

Any thoughts on the "best powder" for a start for the 358009?

My own attempts at establishing a "best powder" have been very costly, and something of a joke a couple of times.

Russ...

felix
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd stay right there with the RL15 for that 280 grainer. You are slow enough in burn speed for the 35 bore. If you like the accuracy with the 250 grainer, then drop your powder by about 3 grains for a first run. If accuracy equals, then you are done. ... felix

RBak
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks Felix, I was hoping you would reply. I have been following your lead for "neigh-on" 8 / 10 years now....since 1998, and you ain't ever steered me wrong yet.

And, I am glad you said to stay with the RL15.
It will sometimes make a grown man cry to find a powder that works really good with one or two "particular" loads, and then goes south with any thing else.

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling BassA is going to agree with you.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Respectfully, Russ...

Bass Ackward
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling BassA is going to agree with you.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Respectfully, Russ...

Yep.

And since you are going to be dropping down below 75% of case capacity, you may well want to drop one more grain and go to a magnum primer to minimize powder position sensitivity. If you hunt hilly terrain, it eliminates the need for a filler. For plain bench target work, you won't need it though.

RBak
12-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you both for the replies. I spent most of the morning resizing LC 62 NM brass for my Whelen, and hope to be on the range with the 358009 by early next week...weather providing.

I only have about 200 pieces of LC NM brass left, and I intend to dedicate that to the Whelen.
I have one particular lot of 20 that has 34 firings using the RCBS 250gr, WW primers, and 46.5gr RL-15...that stuff is goood brass.

Thanks again for all the help.

Respectfully, Russ...