PDA

View Full Version : PC Boolits take 2

Benjlan
01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Well I hogged out my Lee .356 sizer to .3575. I then PCed some lee 125gr rn and baked in 400 degrees for 10 mins. I took a temp reading about half way through and the boolits were 575 degrees when the oven was set at 400. I backed the oven off till I found 400 and tried again. Boolits came out shiney red. I then sized to .3575. I then loaded with 4.0 grains of Bullseye and shot them. No more barrel fouling! Yay! Pretty accurate as well.

So I changed up a whole bunch of things at once. I sized after PCing instead of before, I had 400 degrees this time instead of 575, and I backed my powder charge down .3 grains.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. The only thing I am going to change is I ordered a pb check maker from Pat Marlin. I will try and see if accuracy improves at a little hotter charge.

Ben

popper
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Don't use BE but 231 full jacketed loads with 165 gr do fine in 40SW, no GC needed. Pressure should be the same for 357, 40. Don't think the GC will do much good, depending on alloy.

dverna
01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I think increasing the sizer diameter was the most important factor in your success. Easy to test.

Shoot some lubed bullets sized at .3575. It may come as a shock, but we managed to shoot without leading before coatings ever existed.

Don Verna

Beagle333
01-21-2014, 10:24 PM
It may come as a shock, but we managed to shoot without leading before coatings ever existed.

True.
But we had to roll em in sticky stuff, or inject other sticky smelly stuff into the grooves, and it gummed up the dies and wasn't nice to handle and we had to use harder alloys to achieve the higher velocities without leading.

Benjlan
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Yeah I have a lyman 45 that has seen years of service.

sparky45
01-21-2014, 10:54 PM
ALL salient points Beagle.
Sparky

xacex
01-22-2014, 02:24 PM
True.
But we had to roll em in sticky stuff, or inject other sticky smelly stuff into the grooves, and it gummed up the dies and wasn't nice to handle and we had to use harder alloys to achieve the higher velocities without leading.

That's the big sellers for this shooter. Clean dies, and no smoke.

Beagle333
01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
I rarely exceed the limits of my regular lube with my old boolits, but I mostly like the ability to shoot the more widely available and much cheaper range lead and stick-on WW. The clip-on WW are getting more rare and more expensive and it's nice to be able to use softer/cheaper alloys at the same speeds in my .357 8-) The colors are just a nice bonus, I would still coat if clear were the only choice.

It will really be a plus if the other testers prove out that we can use it in rifles, and it is looking good!
Lino is pricey!!!! 8-)