PDA

View Full Version : out of round vs how far under size can we go?

guncheese
01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
i mostly cast 200gr swc for the 1911
and ive been chasing this issue since i started
on every mold i have there is just enough block misalignment that across the parting line the diameter dips down to .450" to .451"
i want to be at .452" all the way around heck i would be happy at any size over .452"
will this little bit of dip cause any of my perpetual light leading or hurt my accuracy?
the bore slugs at .4503" to .4506" and yes i can measure that close (proper tools and 20 years of measuring)
i have lapped and deburred and fiddled with pin alignment (to try and get it to pull into alignment) all to no avail
the fatter gets fatter and the parting line stays the same.
am i trying to hard? :???:

jsizemore
01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
You can try casting a softer alloy or

go to the Molds & Mainteance page and look for the sticky "H&G Mold Users Manual". On the second pdf download page 13 has dowel pin adjustment. This will work on any mold unless the alignment holes are worn.

C.F.Plinker
01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
How much leading are you getting? I have a Saeco that drops at .4505 inch using range scrap with a BHN of 8. The 452 sizer die doesn't even touch it -- just lubes it. This combination works just fine ahead of about 5 grains of 231 in my 1911s.

I did send it back to Saeco for them to look at when I first got it. They said it would cast bigger if I used a different alloy. I was getting ready to go down that rabbit hole when I remembered that the size of the groups on paper and the amount of lead in the barrel would tell me all I needed to know. Thirty years later it is still my most used mold and I still use range scrap with it.

guncheese
01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
well i normally use a 50/50 coww/soww or /range scrap
and ive been sizing to .452"
i know its alignment on the parting line as you can measure it just that way
i may even try a set of riffler files on the bands right around the parting line
but i guess the right answer is to just get a 4 banger from NOE and ill be happy for years and years
like i say i really dont care if they are a bit out of round they just need to be big enough to kiss the sizer on the parting line!
as for the leading its in the first 1 1/2" of the bore and mostly on the top side
i do know last year when i was low on coww and heavy on range scarp that the leading got quite a bit better
i just lubed some boolits with some newly arrived products from White Label (some 50/50 and some 45/45/10) to see if maybe top notch lube will help out the leading and the accuracy

243winxb
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
An alloy with a higher % of antimony , will increase bullet diameter as they drop from the mould.