PDA

View Full Version : Issues

Beekeeper
01-21-2014, 10:38 AM
What are issues?
I see posts every time I come to the forum where someone is having issues!
Have not found a explanation for issues!

beekeeper

btroj
01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
So you have an issue with issues?

I don't have issue issues as I was never issued an issue issue.

I can't hardly wait to see what ensues from my lack of issues with issues.

Can you be more specific? Are you speaking generic issues or real ones like barrel leading? Is it the word issue rather than saying I'm having a problem?

bikerbeans
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Yesterday I told my wife I had an "issue". Apparently from her perspective (R.N.) anything that involves a decent amount of blood loss is not an issue.

BB

Beekeeper
01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
So it is another way of saying you have a problem?
Why not just say you have a problem?
When did we stop saying "I have a problem " and start saying issue?

beekeeper

ShooterAZ
01-21-2014, 11:09 AM
The issue is having a problem. The problem is having an issue.

Dan Cash
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM
The issue with issues issued from the Military in the mid 1990s when the term "issue" issued from such liberal fonts as U.S. Today. The term was issued to the military which always accounts for all issues but evidently some issues spilled over to civilian life when personnel retired and did not turn in their issues but took them with them. No problem as the Defense budget accounts for problem issues, etc.

Dale in Louisiana
01-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Yesterday I told my wife I had an "issue". Apparently from her perspective (R.N.) anything that involves a decent amount of blood loss is not an issue.

BB

I was once married to a nurse. According to her, I was NEVER sick. Sick people:
1) Bleed from body openings
2) have fever high enough to melt a candle on their foreheads
3) have bones sticking out of open wounds
4) Respond to stimuli

dale in Louisiana

Beekeeper
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
OK!! Sorry I even asked the question.
I thought maybe I would get a serious answer to my question but it seems it isn't going to happen.

beekeeper

ShooterAZ
01-21-2014, 12:20 PM
We're sorry you are having issues getting a serious answer to your issues question.

CastingFool
01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Beekeeper, I think the word "issues" is used to express someone is po'd about something, but they don't want to use that term or say they have a problem. My guess is that they think they are being more polite.

ShooterAZ
01-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Yes, it is exactly the same as having a problem, not necessarily po'd though.

bikerbeans
01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Another instance of the meaning of a word changing over time. This "issue" has been a problem as far back as humans have been speaking to each other.

BB

snuffy
01-21-2014, 01:03 PM
I think it's PC talk for not wanting to be specific about your problem. It's like complaining about a problem, but not wanting anybody to know the particulars. It seems like people want to stay anonymous, yet ask for a solution without details.

Another term that bugs me is "you have a tude!" Meaning your attitude needs an adjustment. Add one letter "L" it becomes aLtitude. My Smart answer to that is; bend over, I'll see how high you go when I kick your butt!"

btroj
01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
So it is another way of saying you have a problem?
Why not just say you have a problem?
When did we stop saying "I have a problem " and start saying issue?

beekeeper

Issue is more clinical sounding. People today speak in political speak rather than plain English.

I prefer problem but I have been known to be a stick in the mud too.

HNSB
01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
It's just so commonly used that a lot of people don't give any thought to an exact meaning when they use it.
It's just part of every day language.

Originally when the term came into common use for problems:
For technical problems, I think btroj is right.
For interpersonal problems I think it's politically correct nonsense, originally intended along the lines of moral relativism - a means of taking responsibility off of someone for their actions.
In both cases it's just become part of language and now has no firm meaning or intent.

Outpost75
01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
"issue" is the politically correct obfuscation used by moronic pinheads whose perception of reality is *****.

felix
01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Issue means a publication imprint. ... felix

cbrick
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM
The only issue I ever have is the issue I have with having issues so it's just the one issue or I'd have no issue at all.

Rick

woody1
01-21-2014, 03:57 PM
"issue" is the politically correct obfuscation used by moronic pinheads whose perception of reality is *****.

Something like that, yes. In reality "issue" often means nothing as far as direct speak is concerned. Just what the heck does "I'm having issues with my car" mean? Is the windshield is dirty? No, the darn thing won't start. There, that's direct speak! The first time I really remember the term said to me was when a now almost ex-daughter-in-law said something about having issues when she really meant she was pizzed off about something. There, now do you get it?
Regards, Woody

starmac
01-21-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm with beekeeper, I need to know exactly what it means. Lots of people have told me they have issues with me, I need to know if I should have issues back at them.

btroj
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
I think the issue with issues is that what is a problem for one is a botheration for another. Your predicament is my quandary. I have no count with trouble but disputes and dilemmas quickly become a headache. What causes a real mess is what you open a can of worms over a minor pickle, this often leads to a dispute.

Overall I consider this worriment over a disputed point to be fatuous, vacuous, and mildly frivolous.

OBIII
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Beekeeper, so you have an issue with our issuing recommended dafynitions? :kidding:

OB

Bent Ramrod
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
HNSB has it. "Problem" has the uncomfortable connotation that the person who has it ought to be able to solve it himself. Or at least, learn to live with it. It is much better to have an "issue" because that means somebody else needs to take care of it.

Of course, if one has "demons," that's the best deal of all. Nobody can do anything about them except commiserate and make excuses, and they can come back whenever the possessor of the "demons" allows it.

monadnock#5
01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
HNSB has it. "Problem" has the uncomfortable connotation that the person who has it ought to be able to solve it himself. Or at least, learn to live with it. It is much better to have an "issue" because that means somebody else needs to take care of it.

Of course, if one has "demons," that's the best deal of all. Nobody can do anything about them except commiserate and make excuses, and they can come back whenever the possessor of the "demons" allows it.

Yup. By saying "There is an ISSUE here that needs to be resolved!", the complainant is saying that we need to call a meeting of the E-board, call out the fire dept. and get the Mods involved. It's another way of saying "this goes way beyond my own personal problem".

Taylor
01-21-2014, 10:50 PM
The way I see it,is that an issue is simply an issue that has not yet evolved into a problem.Hopefully "nipping the issue in the bud" before it is a problem.94209

BNE
01-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Having a PROBLEM suggests some one or thing caused you trouble.

Having an ISSUE suggests you might have contributed to the trouble you are facing.

Calling your problems and issues OPPORTUNITIES is the latest way I have heard troubles labeled.

edler7
01-22-2014, 12:15 AM
" It's another way of saying "this goes way beyond my own personal problem".

It's code for " I'm too stupid to figure it out on my own, and don't want to be held accountable for the outcome when somebody else fixes it for me."

I hear this word coming from The White House a lot these days...

Baja_Traveler
01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
^^^^ I like that one ^^^^

I really do have an Issue with Beekeeper not showing up to the silhouette matches though.... :wink:

Beekeeper
01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey I come and watch ever so often.
Just don't shoot match.
Made a promise 50 + years ago to never again shoot match and have stuck with it.
Is that an issue or a problem?

beekeeper

cbrick
01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Made a promise 50 + years ago to never again shoot match and have stuck with it.
Is that an issue or a problem? beekeeper

Actually that's a problem issue. :coffeecom

Rick

btroj
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
I think it is more of a dilema

cbrick
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM
I think it is more of a dilema

Yeah, that's what I said. [smilie=1:

Rick

btroj
01-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Not to be confused with dill lemon, a pickled fruit.....

HNSB
01-24-2014, 12:39 AM
It's like using "I feel" instead of "I think"... It takes responsibility off of the speaker.

btroj
01-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Uh oh, this is a trap. Beekeeper has us all learning to talk like women!

Col4570
01-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Being issued with a Parking Ticket can be an issue.Especialy when the issuer has been hiding round the corner to trap you.