PDA

View Full Version : Question on liquid mould prep....

Harry O
01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
I have had a bottle of Rapine mould prep for many years. It works a lot better than trying to smoke the cavities and is a lot easier, too. However, it is just about gone and Rapine is no longer in business.

Does anyone know of something that does the same thing and works just as well. I have been looking in some catalogs and I can't seem to find a duplicate. The stuff I have found might be the same, but the words "mould lube" or something similar in the description makes me think its not the same.

Frozone
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
well , the general consensus around here, by those that hold an opinion anyway, is that best thing to coat the inside of a mold with is Nothing.

bhn22
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM
No, I know what Harrys talking about, and it was really good stuff. It didn't build up like the Midway stuff, and you'd apply it with a Q tip. Very thin stuff. I'd like to find some too.

cbrick
01-20-2014, 10:42 PM
The very best casting mold is a perfectly clean mold. No need to put anything in it except molten lead.

Rick

454PB
01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm with cbrick, if you think you need some type of mould release, look for the cause.

dragon813gt
01-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Only liquid that should be in a mold is lead. Find the cause of the problem if you "need" a release agent.

Jack Stanley
01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I know NEI used to market "mould prep" though I don't know if they still do .

Jack

waco
01-20-2014, 11:35 PM
The very best casting mold is a perfectly clean mold. No need to put anything in it except molten lead.

Rick

Yup.......

44man
01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Ray Pine retired. I could have bought his business if I had the money but I was also retired on SS.
He is a wonderful person and I hope he is doing well.
I still have his Mold Prep, good stuff and works as good or better then Bull Plate. Micro fine graphite in alcohol. Thickness in millionths and it does no harm to put in cavities.
Putting it on steel molds will prevent rust too. I put it all over the outside. Works great on top and under the plates.
Doesn't matter where you get it, it will NOT reduce boolit size.

JMtoolman
01-21-2014, 11:08 AM
I do the same as 44man. Been using it for about 40 years, a product called neolube! The toolman.

cainttype
01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
The NEI Mould Prep that Walt (RIP) offered seemed to be the same type of graphite solution 44man refers too. It was an excellent rust preventative, sprue plate/alignment pin lube, and caused no issues if used properly.

bhn22
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Yes. It cannot be in any carrier except alcohol. Anything else builds up. An application lasts forever, and it's totally rocking awesome on sprue plates too.

Harry O
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Yes. It cannot be in any carrier except alcohol. Anything else builds up. An application lasts forever, and it's totally rocking awesome on sprue plates too.

Actually, I also use it on the sprue plate and the top surface of the mould, too. The melt won't stick to the sprue plate anywhere I have coated it. It does last a long time, but I do touch it up from time to time where moving parts wear it off. That is probably why one bottle has lasted me 20+ years, but it is nearing its end. It is good stuff.

kootne
01-21-2014, 07:15 PM
I've cast bullets for almost 40 years and never coated a mold yet except my NEI .45/405 hb and it defies all attempts to cast a good bullet without smoking or NEI mold prep. Anybody that thinks it is not needed is welcome to stop by and I will let you try. Otherwise I've never had an issue with many dozens of molds I've used.
kootne

Steve Steven
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I used to work in a Naval Shipyard where "neolobe" was the only approved lubricant for use in the Reactor compartment of nuclear ships. This is the same stuff "mold Prep" is, colloidal graphite in isopropanol alcohol.

I have used this for many years, one bottle I have on hand is made by Houron Industries, a small company whose business is making this stuff. this company sells it:
http://www.newmantools.com/price/neolubepr.htm
but the price is very high, this is nuclear grade certified version.

This stuff is GREAT, I use it as indicating fluid when inletting stocks, inside neck lube on rifle cases, and mold prep.

The NEO-1 is the grade for mold use.

Steve

WALLNUTT
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
I use the NEI prep all over steel and iron moulds store 'em dry no rust always ready to use.

Steve Steven
01-21-2014, 10:37 PM
I just checked the NSN and the Navy gets Neolube for $14.65 ea for 2 oz bottles, I am sure it can be gotten for a lot less than what Newman Tools says.

Hounddog
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Holy smokes, is that stuff made with baby unicorn tears or something? I think I'll stick with bull plate!

BNE
01-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I was told here to lightly clean a mold with Ajax or Comet and a toothbrush.

This helped the boolit release dramatically.

Bull-plate on top of the mold and on the bottom of the sprue plate helps me keep from smearing lead on the mold when I cut the sprue too soon.

josie wales
01-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Has anybody heard of Brownells TFE mold release? I been using it for years,a little goes a long ways. I bought two cans some 20 odd years ago and still have one and a half left. It is also great for storing your molds. I looked at Brownells site and it seems they do not sell this anymore.