PDA

View Full Version : Results with MiHec 45-225, 45 acp

Down South
01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
I made 50/50 alloy, Pure/COWW with 2% Tin. I came up with an alloy of 10 bhn according to my Cabintree. I cast about 2,400 of the large HP Boolits. They weighed 204 gr with the Lg round HP Pins with my alloy.
I sized at .452" and lubed with Carnauba Red.

I loaded up about 120 of the Boolits over 5.0 Gr of Bullseye using Winchester LP Primers, not a barn burner and headed to the range today. I figured I would be pushing about 850 fps. I was surprised. The Chrono said average of 885 fps. I wanted to see if I liked this load before I went into mass production.
I was still surprised this load would make 875-900 fps.

The good news, no feeding issues or leading out of my two full size 1911's, DE 1911G and Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II. I ran about 60 rds through both.
I was worried that the big honking HP might cause feeding problems. I racked several rounds to see if the feed ramp might damage the HP, but nope.
These boolits were cast less than a week ago and I like to age my alloy at least a couple weeks but running the softer alloy, it might not matter that much.
I don't remember the COAL. The boolits passed the plunk test well before I had them seated deep enough to not cause problems in the mags. I tested three different brand mags, the Factory Kimber and Desert Eagle and Wilson Combat.
You probably can't see it in the attached picture but there is just a hint of the front drive band sticking out of the case mouth.
I did not get around to see how well expansion or accuracy was since I was shooting a plate rack.
I figure expansion will be good with this alloy and fps. I'll test that another day.

Since I was still set up, I loaded the Boolits in the picture to have enough to load up three mags. I carry one of my 1911's and I like this round.

glockky
01-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Nice looking boolits. Wonder if he has any of these molds laying around?

Down South
01-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Nice looking boolits. Wonder if he has any of these molds laying around?
I don't know but you can send him a PM and ask. He always makes extras but they can go pretty fast.

geargnasher
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Doncha love it when a plan comes together? :drinks:

My Lyman Devastators got dinged up in the magazine more than on the feed ramp, but they have a different nose profile than those Miha boolits do.

On the aging a couple weeks with a low-antimony alloy, I'd say that's a good idea though it might be splitting hairs.

Gear

MtGun44
01-20-2014, 12:23 AM
That is exactly the velocity I would have predicted. I get 850 from 4.8 of BE, so the extra
0.2 should just bump that a bit.

Bill

Jupiter7
01-20-2014, 01:37 AM
I love this mold. I too run the same load with the large HP. I actually shot it in 3 matches after shooting a couple hundred and seeing the accuracy. It feeds as well as any other I've tried. I hadn't gotten a chance to chrono them, glad you did :)

glockky
01-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Make sure you update us with some expansion results thanks

harley45
01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I bought that mold then sold all my 45s when I got into 10MM now I'm thinking about time to get another!

glockky
01-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Harley you could just stick with the 10mm and sell me the 45 mold

Jupiter7
01-20-2014, 07:33 PM
I've shot the load into milk jugs. It blew the first apart nice hole through two and was found in 3rd. This thing opened up to .94, complete expansion to the lube groove. I'd almost say it's too much. Alloy was mix of 2 different batches of range scrap.