PDA

View Full Version : New here--

Preston
01-19-2014, 03:02 PM
but I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

One is what forum has the hardness of lead. I have about 400 lbs of pure lead and need to harden it. I don't know where to start and I'm finding the forum.

If you can help, thanks.

Ickisrulz
01-19-2014, 03:09 PM
but I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

One is what forum has the hardness of lead. I have about 400 lbs of pure lead and need to harden it. I don't know where to start and I'm finding the forum.

If you can help, thanks.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?85980-Converting-Bhn-to-Alloy-Ratios-Not-On-the-Normal-Tables&highlight=alloy

Sgtonory
01-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Check out rotometas a sponsor here. You can buy super hardball to mix in with your pure lead.

Dean D.
01-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Welcome Preston! I would highly recommend that you start your education by reading the threads in our "Classics and Stickies" section. I would also recommend that you find a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual, it is filled with wonderful information.

DRNurse1
01-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Preston:

Welcome. there is a wealth of information here and folks willing to share their knowledge, too. Dean's Advice is great and you should also read Fryxell's book "From Ingot to Target" in the Cast Boolits thread.

starmac
01-19-2014, 05:52 PM
All I can say is good luck, once you get started on the lead thing, then there will be the lube thing. It is a lot to wrap ones head around, but lots of great info on what works and doesn't work here.

wv109323
01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
First welcome aboard. Others have given solid advice. There are a lot of Stickies to get you started.

Blacksmith
01-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Lots of good information in the Lead and Lead Alloys section. be sure you read and follow all the safety precautions if you have never smelted before. You do not want a visit from the tinsel fairy!

Here is the place to start reading:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?57-Lead-and-lead-alloy-s

And welcome to the insantity.

Blammer
01-19-2014, 06:49 PM
personally, I would mix it 50/50 with ww's and your pure lead, should make it hard enough. If you want it harder, just water drop it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-19-2014, 07:11 PM
what Blammer said, & if you have or find some magnum shot that'll harden it right up too.
Welcome to our nut house, I hope your ready for one heck of a ride!

Gar
01-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the board Preston. Get a cup of your favorite beverage, pull up a comfortable chair and start reading all the stickies. Shouldn't take you more than a week or two if you stick at it. :drinks: