PDA

View Full Version : Lube/sizer recommendations

homefront
12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm asking my family for a lube/sizer for Christmas. I'm leaning towards the Redding unit, but some first hand experiences would be helpful. I'd like to hear experiences with all makes.

Thanks!

crabo
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I bought a Star upon the advice of this group. I would think anything else would be way slower. Are you doing pistol/ rifle or both. The Star is the way to go when you are doing a volume.

felix
12-06-2007, 07:26 PM
The Saeco/Redding is my favorite only because of its "don't care" attitude towards rifle or pistol boolits, gaschecked or not. It's strong downside is its inability to change out dies fast and the dies are just as costly as the Star's. If money is no problem, use the Saeco to seat the gascheck firmly, and then push the boolit on through the die, slightly intentionally oversized to lube the boolit properly. Then shove the boolit into a custom Lee die made for a reloading press to make the boolit the proper size. This would tend to make the boolit as concentric as is possible without resorting to a swaging operation. The cheapest luber machine that I know of is the RCBS/LYMAN style, and parts are out there galore. ... felix

hotwheelz
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I have used the lyman #45 , and #450 they work well but not as fast as the star, My only complaint about the 450 is if you get to much pressure it will blow the lube out the bootom of the press and you have to stop clean up the mess clean out the o-ring grove and seat but after you do it once or twice you learn not to over pressure it. My #45 I have only used soft lube and it works great. Before i got my own luber I used a freinds rcbs lube-matic and it ran flawlessly I just have not come across one for the right price for myself yet. I guess it depends on your budget i have been picking up the #45 a gunshows for $30 or so and selling them on flea bay for $60+ maybe a couple more and ill have the $$$ for a star then a couple more and Ill have the $$$ for the dies. One way or another sounds like your getting something fun for Christmas:mrgreen:

crowbeaner
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I have 2 RCBS lubrisizers, and love them. The Lyman dies work just fine in them, and cost about half of what RCBS ones do. I broke the handle casting on one doing some non standard swaging of J bullets with it, and RCBS sent me a new yoke no charge, and no questions. The Lyman top punches work in them also. If I was going to buy another,I would get the same thing. CB.

MT Gianni
12-07-2007, 01:27 AM
I have used the lyman #45 , and #450 they work well but not as fast as the star, My only complaint about the 450 is if you get to much pressure it will blow the lube out the bootom of the press and you have to stop clean up the mess clean out the o-ring grove and seat but after you do it once or twice you learn not to over pressure it.mrgreen:

If you mount your LY 450 on a thin piece of rubber it acts as a second seal and prevents the leak. Gianni

mtgrs737
12-07-2007, 02:41 AM
I have 3 of the Lyman 450 units and have never had a problem with them, I like them just fine and the dies are everywhere! I cut a gasket out of a soda pop carton (Thin Paperboard) and have no leaks. Pick them up cheap at gunshows, flea markets, garage sales etc.

Why do I need 3 when dies change out so easily? Because the lube doesn't change out easily! I can run three different lubes this way. :castmine:

freedom475
12-07-2007, 03:25 AM
I have an old rcbs LUB-A-MATIC. It's the only i've ever used but have NO complaints.

Reading through some of the reviews on the Midway site may also help.:Fire:

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2007, 06:52 AM
star all the way!!!!!!!!!

Sundogg1911
12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I'll drink to what Lloyd said (but then again....i'll drink to just about anything!) :drinks:
I have had several sizers (Lyman 450, RCBS, Saeco, and 3 Stars) The Stars probably take the most adjustment, but i'll bet I can size 4 boolits or more with the Star in the time it takes to do one with any of the others. I still use the Lyman on occasion for some of my oddball boolits, and it is a fine well built machine, but I don't think you'll find a hand press sizer/luber that will keep up with a Star.

ANeat
12-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Another vote for the Star/Magma. Fast and purdy

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/9mm3.jpg

scb
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I've used Lyman, RCBS, & Saeco. I graduated to Star and now have two. One for hard lube with a heater, and one with Black powder cartridge lube. I can't imagine that you'd ever be sorry you had a Star/Magma. The only "draw back" to Star is the way they are adjusted with lead shot. It's not too bad once you get use to it tho. My second choice would be Saeco.

miestro_jerry
12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I have a RCBS and a Star, I love the Star, the RCBS gets used for what these days, I can't remember. Maybe a door stop in the shop or a paper weight.

Jerry

hotwheelz
12-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a RCBS and a Star, I love the Star, the RCBS gets used for what these days, I can't remember. Maybe a door stop in the shop or a paper weight.

Jerry

Do you want to sell your door stop?????:-D:-D:-D

miestro_jerry
12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Hot,

I am not sure how many dies and punchs I have for it. I have it mounted to a stand that makes it easier to use on table tops. If you are really interested, PM me.

Jerry

lawboy
01-02-2008, 02:03 AM
I have three Lyman 450 machines and two Star machines. Honestly, I use the Lymans way more. The Stars are very nice and very fast but I only use them when I am going to lube size A TON of 38, 44, or 45 bullets. Otherwise, I use the Lyman's because it is much faster to swap out dies for the myriad of calibers and bullet shapes and lube groove sizes/number/spacing of various bullets using the Lymans. Basically, both have their place.

My advise is buy which ever you want all work. The KEY is hard mounting the unit on a dedicated bench with all dies and acoutre mon located in a wall cabinet above the bench within easy reach. For these machines, a bench 8 inches deep is fine and allows easy access to the cabinet. Space them out so you can put your bullet pans and trays on the sides of the machines. KEEP THE MACHINES COVERED WHEN NOT IN USE.

JMax
01-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I have a couple of San Diego Stars w/ some extra dies & punches if anyone is interested. I even have the old original blue books that came with them that cost $.25.
.452 & .357 are mounted on the Stars and I have .308 (new), .410 and .428 die & punch sets.

Lee
01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
What mtgrs737 said +1
I have 2 45's. One for hard lube and one for soft lube. It makes changing lubes real easy!.......Lee:wink:

JMax
01-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a couple of San Diego Stars w/ some extra dies & punches if anyone is interested. I even have the old original blue books that came with them that cost $.25.
.452 & .357 are mounted on the Stars and I have .308 (new), .410 and .428 die & punch sets.

They are gone.