PDA

View Full Version : Aneal Boolits?

kount_zer0
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Oh great woolly smiths of the silver stream:

Any suggestions on how to anneal over the counter boolits?

I've got some Meister .452 boolits de-lubed and I'd like to aneal them if possible to slug my bore and cylinder throats.

I know I can order some pure lead slugs for the purpose, but If I can get these soft enough...

Thanks!

kount_zer0
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Sounds OK to me...but I wasn't sure of the temperature I should use....

Thanks!

VTDW
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Just get yourself a little package of fishing sinkers just big enough to slug your barrel with. Get the kind that are oval and have a hole thru the middle for the line to go thru and there will be no spring back once they are run thru your barrel.

Dave

kount_zer0
12-06-2007, 06:36 PM
VTDW: Nice signature...you actually inspired me to go get the right font!

anyway, I tried the sinkers, but they were very hard to get through the cylinder throats...

VTDW
12-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I am such a dumba$$. I was thinking rifle...Jeeze!!!:groner:

MT Gianni
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
VTDW: Nice signature...you actually inspired me to go get the right font!

anyway, I tried the sinkers, but they were very hard to get through the cylinder throats...

It seems as though South bend has hard sinkers and the other brands are softer. I would try again. It helps too use a gas check behind them for a flat pushrod. Ganni

Shiloh
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
It seems as though South bend has hard sinkers and the other brands are softer. I would try again. It helps too use a gas check behind them for a flat pushrod. Ganni

Never run into the hard sinkers. The ones from Wal-Mart work fine. Good idea about the gas check as something for the rod to push against.

Shiloh :castmine:

imashooter2
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
The Meister bullets are still going to be hard even after you anneal them. Their alloy is hard even without heat treat.

kount_zer0
12-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I just tied the 200gr SWC bullets through the cylinder...it worked just fine. I had boiled them to get the wax out and just let them air dry...they seemed easier than the sinkers...:drinks:

I used hoppes gun oil (it was in my cleaning kit which was handy) in thin coats as lube and all was well.

Final dimension of a single SWC pushed through all 6 chambers is .452

they measure between .4525 and .453 in the box...

andrew375
12-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Oh great woolly smiths of the silver stream:

Any suggestions on how to anneal over the counter boolits?

I've got some Meister .452 boolits de-lubed and I'd like to aneal them if possible to slug my bore and cylinder throats.

I know I can order some pure lead slugs for the purpose, but If I can get these soft enough...

Thanks!

If they are commercially cast they will probably be made from an alloy like a type metal which doesn't need to be heat treated (precipitation hardened) to achieve their strength. Therefore they cannot be annealed.

For the record, if you do have bullets that have been hardened via heat treatment and you want to bring them back to their unhardened state simply put them in the oven. Bring the temperature up to the point just below they start to melt, hold them at that temperature for half an hour or so then turn the heat off and allow the bullets to cool in the closed oven.

deltaenterprizes
12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Use the oven like others said