PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong

Doc Contender
08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok, I am new to casting boolits. I have rcbs sizer. rcbs 45-405 grain mold that is casting wheel weights at .462 . Sizing die lyman .459. I have close the mold and made sure no light peeking through. I add lubricate while sizing.
Problems
1. sizer is taking lead off one side more than the other.
2. mold head #600 bitting into one side of the bullet while placing gas check
3. Since bullet is oversized, base is oversized, therefore gas check not fitting
well.
So, I do I fix these problems.
Thanks Doc Contender

45 2.1
08-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Sell me the mold and get one that is more normal size. Your lubricator is not sizing the bullet concentrically. That is most of your problem, but that mold casts an oversize bullet also.

StarMetal
08-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I guess by mold head you mean bullet nose punch? Sounds like, and is apparent that the bullet is not going into the sizing die centered. All the new Lyman and RCBS sizer dies have a tapered lead in to them, which is pretty generous I might add. So if the nose punch isn't fitting the nose properly and you said it's taking a bite off one side of the nose, that would make it go in crooked. You might open up the nose punch with a Dremel and little grinding wheel to match the nose profile. On the lubersizer press ram where the nose punch fits you notice it's clamped in by a set screw. What alot of us do is put a little bullet lube on the flange of the nose punch that mated with the ram and don't tighten the screw up. The lube will hold the nose punch in. This makes the nose punch "float" and lets the bullet center in the sizer die. Make sure you don't back the set screw out too far as it will interfere with the ram sliding within it's bore.

You can flare out your gascheck some with a proper tool or make one on a lathe if you have a lathe. Even a drillpress and a file will do. You basically want round rod little larger diameter then the gascheck and taper or radius one end to flare the check with. Some fellows use a ball bearing of proper size to flare their checks. If you make your alloy harder the diameter of the bullet will only get larger so that is not an avenue of escape. In a way you're lucky to have a mould that drops on the larger size as it will fit alot more bores.

Joe

moodyholler
08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
You may be dropping them too hot and they are banana shaped. Ran into that with some 457125's. moodyholler

Johnch
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Anealed gas check go on easyer .
I heat Hornady Gas Checks in a old pan on the stove till they change color ( sort of blue).

The black crud from the forming lube Hornady leaves on will not hurt anything.

Johnch