PDA

View Full Version : lube and bullet design question

twc1964
01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Ok folks, I'm new to casting and need info. I'm going to cast 158gr lswc boolits and also 230gr for my pistols and I'm not sure which kind of mold desugn to get. i don't want my loads to make me unpopular at the range with huge white clouds of smoke and need to know if tumble lube designs are less smoky than the boolits with the deeper lube grooves and hard lube. i use unique in the 45 and universal in the 357. Thx for your knowledge.

Bohica793
01-18-2014, 07:54 PM
I make my own lube from beeswax, Crisco and lanolin with just a bit of paraffin thrown in for good measure. It's inexpensive, made from common household products and doesn't smoke anymore than commercial lubes. Works perfectly up to 1400fps (at least that is as fast as I have pushed my loads). I have never been a fan of tumble lubing, but that is not to say that it doesn't work. You'll have to decide for yourself.

As to bullets, I am real partial to the 358477 and 358429 SWCs in 357s and the HG68 (or clones) in the .45. My 1911 loves the HG68 SWC, but my Glock won't feed them and I have to shoot the 452374 RN in it.

bhn22
01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
They're all going to smoke to some degree. Even the powder generates smoke.

44man
01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I would not use a hard lube and Alox smokes more then most. TL boolits work fine with a good lube too.
I never notice lube smoke and never smell lube. LBT Soft Blue, Felix and a hundred others do not make much smoke, even 50-50 beeswax and Alox is OK.
Powder does make more smoke then a good lube.

btroj
01-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Don't want smoke to be an issue? Then don't shoot at indoor ranges.
I never notice smoke outdoors, it is always there indoors.

myg30
01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
First off, Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to read and learn casting, cooking, loading and getting to know folks. There is other stuff too but I just hit a few topics. There may be some sarcasm from time to time and when you read here and get to know the folks, you will not take it personally. So.. im on a roll now.

As the smoke clears.... and all "THEY" see is One ragged hole after you fired off 6 rds ! ..... What more is to judge ?
Let the target be the judge. If your worried about the smoke than I might suggest you get an air rifle or a CO2 pistol. I get tickled when some youngins show up at the range and dump a few mags into a target at 10 ft. Looks like scatter gun target.
Ive used FMJ bullets and smokless powder and still see smoke, could be a defective can of powder ? Nah just false advertising.
After black powder you think they would of come up with a true name like " Lesssmoke powder " not smokeless.

There are some powders and charges that produce less flash and less smoke. Some one with more useful knowledge will sure to chime in as I cant remember what they are. I don't let the smoke interfere with my shooting even at an indoor range when I go to one with friends to shoot. If the range does not allow reloads then I might see a reason not to attract spectators.

Good luck, be safe. Mike

Mike

twc1964
01-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks all of you who gave advice and those with a bit of good humored sarcasm. i saw some lube on this forum that I'm gonna give a shot,(pun intended). i look forward to lots of banter in the future.

Animal
01-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Shooting indoors causes a lot of distractions... Noise, brass from the other guys bottom feeder pelting you in the head and I'm sure there are a few other irritants. Those perks come with the territory. Don't worry about the high maintenance guys who can't take a bit of good ole fashioned home-brewed gun smoke. To me, gun smoke smells like America and I like it. Perhaps they should go bowling instead of shooting.

Cherokee
01-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Start with Lee 2 cavity molds if you want to try TL, keeps the investment low and good to learn on. If you are satisfied after shooting a bunch, then you can get the 6 cavity version for mass production. Conventional lube groove designs was all there was when I started 50 years ago, so I stuck with them. TL gets mixed reviews.

C. Latch
01-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Ok folks, I'm new to casting and need info. I'm going to cast 158gr lswc boolits and also 230gr for my pistols and I'm not sure which kind of mold desugn to get. i don't want my loads to make me unpopular at the range with huge white clouds of smoke and need to know if tumble lube designs are less smoky than the boolits with the deeper lube grooves and hard lube. i use unique in the 45 and universal in the 357. Thx for your knowledge.

I have a Lee 358-158-TL-SWC (or something like that, it's a tumble lube SWC mold) and mine works fine; my only regret is not getting the 6-cavity version. I've shot mine with alox, a homebrew mixture of beeswax and olive oil and small amounts of everything else I could find laying around, and haven't noticed much smoke yet. You might notice it more at an indoor range.