PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating to enlarge undersize bullits

Boogieman
01-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Has anyone used powder coating on undersized bullits? I have some coated .357 sized that key hole with heavy loads. Wanted to try .359 coating adds .002-2.5 in. Will this work? the .357 don't lead but won't stay on a 9in. paper plate at 50 ft.

Magana559
01-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Can't say it won't work because I couldn't get any cast boolits to work no matter what I did. Nothing but key holes and the barrel looked like a sewer pipe.
Then one day a great member sent me some PC boolits and they were the bees knees! No more leadding and tight groups.

KYShooter73
01-18-2014, 01:22 AM
My guess would be "probably possible". Heh, not certain terms, but I would cast them, coat them as dropped, then put them through a .359 sizer. A lot of this PC is still guess work until documented. I do .356, pc'd, sized .3575ish, works fine.

retread
01-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Had the same trouble with a Lyman 356242. Even as cast it tumbled. Powdered coated with HF powder and the problem ceased. Added about .002 to the diameter. Seems to do the job.

bangerjim
01-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Coat without sizing after casting. The size appropriately AFTER coating. That will increase your diameter. You can even do a 2nd coat, but you may be getting into weight distribution instabilities due to uneven coats and things can get unpredictable, especially if you are using anything but electrostatic gun application.

Let us know what you test prove! We will welcome the feedback.

bangerjim

ipijohn
01-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Coat without sizing after casting. The size appropriately AFTER coating. That will increase your diameter. You can even do a 2nd coat, but you may be getting into weight distribution instabilities due to uneven coats and things can get unpredictable, especially if you are using anything but electrostatic gun application.

Let us know what you test prove! We will welcome the feedback.

bangerjim

I have used this with great success in my grandson's 7.62 X 54R. I recently bought a GB mold that came in undersize by .002 no matter how I cast or what alloy I cast as well as being 6 grains under advertised weight. The PC brought up the size to where the sizer touched all the way around the driving bands buy didn't help much with the weight deficiency. Don't yet know how they shoot.

bangerjim
01-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Good info!

There is no reason it should NOT work.......to a point. We have no control of the thickness and evenness of that coat, so weird things could start happening during the travel from casing to target.

I have never had the undersized problem, but glad to hear there is an easy alternative to messing with mold as always had been the tradition.

banger

popper
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Boogieman - recoating 0.357 may work but if your groove is 0.004" I doubt the keyholing will stop. The PC isn't that tough. Size to 0.358-9 after coating. Coating should help out of round cast. I shot some 165 gr coated to 1300+ undersized by 0.015 and just a slight loss in accuracy. Same results in 308. No leading. Just try a dozen or so & report back.

Boogieman
01-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Boogieman - recoating 0.357 may work but if your groove is 0.004" I doubt the keyholing will stop. The PC isn't that tough. Size to 0.358-9 after coating. Coating should help out of round cast. I shot some 165 gr coated to 1300+ undersized by 0.015 and just a slight loss in accuracy. Same results in 308. No leading. Just try a dozen or so & report back.

Recoated 357 bullets to 359 they shot a little better still had fliers. No leading .tried some lighter loads ,they still wouldn't group. Tried the same bullet, Lee 158gr.SWC TL using Lee tumble lub. Got poor groups With leading. Bhn. is about 9 could be too soft. maybe my Ruger just doesn't like this bullet. Powder coating works good in my 45ACP.