PDA

View Full Version : Peep Sights Question

JWFilips
01-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi Guys:
Just wanted to ask: I have 2 marlin 336's one in 30-30 and one in 35 Rem Both are from the early 60-70's & both are the carbine models What type of receiver peep sights are the easiest to install on these two guns / using the original front sights?

338RemUltraMag
01-17-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/968159/williams-fp-336-receiver-peep-sight-marlin-centerfire-lever-actions-aluminum-black

this is by far my favorite for the 336

JWFilips
01-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Very Cool:..... I was hope'in that was what folks said! Thanks!
That is where I started with a loner at Age 11 Always wanted to duplicate my first hunt "sights"

338RemUltraMag
01-17-2014, 09:12 PM
I have been getting away from scopes, makes the sport of "hunting" too much like the sport of "shooting"

that sight simply screws into the scope mounting holes in the top of the reciever. It took me longer to type this than it did to install the sight.

dragon813gt
01-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Skinner Sights are the best you can buy.
http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

Keyston44
01-17-2014, 09:36 PM
I 2nd the Skinners. I have them on all my lever guns.

Key

Outpost75
01-17-2014, 10:49 PM
The Skinners will withstand rough bush handling, like the XS, but less expensive. They are a zero, Loctite and forget, fixed peep. Not something to adjust frequently. Settle on one load, wih full power stuff in. 30-30 set to provide point of impact 3" above front sight at 100 yards and you are good to go 150-yards point blank.

FergusonTO35
01-17-2014, 11:31 PM
I have Williams 5D's on three of my lever actions. They're not as pretty as Skinners but very functional and inexpensive. You can put a 5D, slot blank, and better front sight on a rifle for less than the cost of a cheapo scope and rings.

snaketail
01-20-2014, 09:45 AM
I have a Marbles Tang sight on one and a Williams receiver sight on the other. If I get a 3rd rifle it'll get a Williams receiver sight. The tang looks cool, the receiver shoots better - maybe its just me.
M

pietro
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM

FWIW, the OP stated "What type of receiver peep sights are the easiest to install on these two guns / using the original front sights?"

Due to it's higher line-of-sight, the Skinner peep would require a front sight blade higher than the issue front sight blade, in order to achieve zero, unlike the Williams 5D or FP linked to, above - which carries it's aperture holder bar behind the sight base ILO atop it like the Skinner.

Airman Basic
01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Can ya'll tell me which of the receiver sights will fit a Rossi lever, using existing front sights?

Char-Gar
01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Marlin leverguns from your period should be drill and tapped for receiver rights. You will find two small parallel holes (with plug screws in them) on the top rear of the left side (from the butt) of the receiver. The plugs can be removed and Lyman, Williams or Redfield sights attached with no fuss.

My favorite sight for these rifles is the discontinued Redfield 102. It is an all steel sight that is adjusted by loosening and tightening screws. Once set, the screws can be set with Loctite and you will have a sight that won't move under any circumstances you are likely to encounter in the hunting field. Tho discontinued, I have managed to scare them up for all of my Marlin leverguns.

I tend to prefer the Redfield Sourdough front sight, and they are also discontinued, but I scare them up as well. Here is a pic of my 1960 vintage Marlin Texan (30-30) so sighted. I picked this rifle in in a pawn shop about ten years ago for $125.00. The stock was in pretty rough shape, but a little TLC and it came back to life.

I know

2ndAmendmentNut
01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Another vote for Skinner sights.

youngda9
01-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I went with the XS for the rear sight on my 1894 with the large ghost ring. I thought it looked nicer than the skinner. It's all I need for deer hunting in dense woods. Front sight is a plain black skinner blade.

northmn
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I have used the Williams 5D on all my lever guns and others for years. The only exception is the Redfield that came with my last older Marlin. As to durability there has been not problem and the Williams have held their zero season to season. The old Marlin did need a higher sight but as I prefer the fiber optic green anyway I would have replaced it anyway. I will point out that the front sight is as important as the rear sight.

DP

Tn Jim
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
I used a Skinner receiver sight on my Henry 44 and love it. But, I did have to go to a higher front sight.

missionary5155
01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Greetings
I did not read all the previous so maybe I am repeating.
Your front sight possibly will not be tall enough for any receiver sight. A tang sight yes.
I have put receiver and tang sights on all my Marlins and no origonal front sight was tall enough.
All my 336's are caliber 38's or caliber .41's ( minus one lowly .357) and I am very pleased with the receiver sights on each. But again out of 6 336's no origonal front sight was tall enough.

22 Jan So I began wondering how come all my 336's needed taller front sights. Last night the light bulb shinned through the haze. 4 of my 336's are no longer the 30-30's they started life as. 2 are 38-55, one a 375 Win and the other a 414 Supermag. Heavier boolits and far more recoil. The other two were factory 375's but I shoot far heavier boolits than they were designed for ( 255-300). Again more recoil thus requiring taller front sights. My 1894 41 mag is in the same boat. 265 + grainers get fed through that one.. more recoil taller front sight. So far the caliber .357 has origonal front but I am looking at 200 grainers for that so it may need a taller front also before I get done.
Mike in Peru

Airman Basic
01-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Greetings
I did not read all the previous so maybe I am repeating.
Your front sight possibly will not be tall enough for any receiver sight. A tang sight yes.
I have put receiver and tang sights on all my Marlins and no origonal front sight was tall enough.
All my 336's are caliber 38's or caliber .41's ( minus one lowly .357) and I am very pleased with the receiver sights on each. But again out of 6 336's no original front sight was tall enough.
Mike in Peru
Well, this old Williams and Marlin front sight work good together. Not too short or too tall, just right.

94099 94100

pietro
01-20-2014, 07:45 PM

FWIW (again), although I also like the Skinner peep and have no compunction about switching out the front sight blade for a taller one, for whatever reasons the OP seems to prefer the issue front sight for his rifle & shooting - which precludes the Skinner because it requires a higher front sight to zero.

1) Char-Gar: Not all Marlins have the 2-screw peep sight prep on the LH receiver sidewall - that prep was discontinued more than a few years ago, why Williams offers TWO receiver sights for the Marlin 336/1895 (a side mount 5D/FP for older rifles, and a top-mount 5D/FP for later versions)

2) Airman Basic: I used a Williams 5D-94AE peep on one of my Rossi's (an FP-94AE will also work), meant for the Winchester M94AE (angle eject), via D/T'ing one 6-48 hole atop the rear of each receiver sidewall (see below), just ahead of the locking lugs (which zeroed using the issue front sight).
Rossi & Winchester M92's use the same sights as Winchester 94's.
Alternatively, any Williams or Lyman side-mounted peep will also work, after D/T'ing two holes in the LH sidewall for the sight base.
Another alternative for a Rossi, provided it has a bolt-top lawyer safety, is a drop-in safety replacement bolt peep sight from www/stevezgunz.com - which will also zero using the issue front sight (height).

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0384.jpg http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0385-1.jpg

3) Missionary5155: FWIW, I too, have never been able to properly zero a Marlin @ 100yds with an issue height front sight blade - although it may very well be possible at a different zeroing distance. (IDK - I never tried it).

Airman Basic
01-21-2014, 05:30 PM

FWIW (again), although I also like the Skinner peep and have no compunction about switching out the front sight blade for a taller one, for whatever reasons the OP seems to prefer the issue front sight for his rifle & shooting - which precludes the Skinner because it requires a higher front sight to zero.

1) Char-Gar: Not all Marlins have the 2-screw peep sight prep on the LH receiver sidewall - that prep was discontinued more than a few years ago, why Williams offers TWO receiver sights for the Marlin 336/1895 (a side mount 5D/FP for older rifles, and a top-mount 5D/FP for later versions)

2) Airman Basic: I used a Williams 5D-94AE peep on one of my Rossi's (an FP-94AE will also work), meant for the Winchester M94AE (angle eject), via D/T'ing one 6-48 hole atop the rear of each receiver sidewall (see below), just ahead of the locking lugs (which zeroed using the issue front sight).
Rossi & Winchester M92's use the same sights as Winchester 94's.
Alternatively, any Williams or Lyman side-mounted peep will also work, after D/T'ing two holes in the LH sidewall for the sight base.
Another alternative for a Rossi, provided it has a bolt-top lawyer safety, is a drop-in safety replacement bolt peep sight from www/stevezgunz.com - which will also zero using the issue front sight (height).

3) Missionary5155: FWIW, I too, have never been able to properly zero a Marlin @ 100yds with an issue height front sight blade - although it may very well be possible at a different zeroing distance. (IDK - I never tried it).

The Skinner sight for the Rossi seems to replace the standard rear buckhorn. Anybody tried a peep that far forward? Does it work okay? Can't find the Rossi peep on Stevz site. Anybody know where he's hidin' it?

JWFilips
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your help here folks:
I decide on the Factory replacement Williams fool proof 962-200-002AH
FP-336 Receiver Sight fits Marlin 336
Mfr Part: 70222
This is the peep sight I had on my first deer hunt 49 years ago mounted on a loaner Marlin 336 T carbine in .35 Rem I can't recall now if it had the original front sight or a sourdough blade ...... anyway it was mounted on left side of the receiver in the factory drilled holes.

The next year my Dad was determined to get me a 336 of my own, (He never had a rifle and hunted with a 311 Stevens double barrel 12 gauge with pumpkin balls...I still have that gun & hunt small game with it). Being of very little means He scrimped and saved and took me to a very small LGS to pick it out and put a meager down payment on it. Every week or so he would take me back thoughout the summer to make a few dollar payment & I would get to hold it.... While he at the Gunsmith would tell stories of old. I remember it vividly ( funny how now I can't remember were I put my glasses down but if I think of back then I could tell you the day of the week and what they talked about each visit!) For those that may remember & who are in my area the place was Evers' Gunshop in the Providence section of Scranton. How I looked forward to those trips. Then came the end November ( Deer season in PA) I remember my Dad had a little hesitation that weekend before Thanksgiving day in 1965. But he took me anyway, however in the car he told me he didn't have enough money to pay off the rifle, So he was sorry, but it would just be another visit with it & it wouldn't be mine ...well as a 13 year, old I felt really depressed. But I would still get to hold it and sight down it's barrel.

Not really sure what happened next but this could only be a thing that could happen back in those days. Mr. Evers calls me over to the counter and said "Lad here is what I'm going to do" " You take this rifle and hunt deer with it ....When the season is over you bring it back to me & I will keep it here safe until it is paid off....Is that a deal?"
My heart was lifted to the clouds, ....as he handed me the Marlin 336 and handed my Dad a box of 35 Remington shells. As we walked out the door, I remember him saying, "Get a big one".....Well two weeks later we were back in the shop returning the rifle & I had no deer to show for it... except the memories I just related to you all. However, I do remember that Thanksgiving morning my Dad taking me out to the coal mine stripings to sight it in. I shot it 3 times! What excitement , then he shot it twice ( probable the only rifle he ever fired) He told me I was close enough to get a deer...( not really sure I was even on the paper ...since 2 shot were in the black....I don't think they had mine name on them!) I remember driving home day dreaming of a hugh buck the following Monday (First day of the season) then coming home to a Thanksgiving supper of Meatloaf, Boiled potatoes, Green beans & buttermilk. Those are memories from my past: Very Sorry for the Gene Shepard moment! Sometimes when we get old things like this have the most meaning.

Scharfschuetze
01-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Airman Basic,

I've never tried the Skinner sight so I checked the Internet and it looks like they are mounted on top of the rear receiver of a Marlin, much like the turn of the century aperture sights for Marlins. That said, to answer you question on barrel mounted peep sights; yes, I've tried them on the Japanese Type 99 Arisaka, the 1903 Springfield and a Danish rifle whose nomenclature now escapes me. I personally prefer the receiver mounted sight as it is much faster to use while the barrel mounted apertures seem to be difficult for me to use quickly.

JW,

Good choice on a sight for your 336. A peep sight is always a good choice.

My favorite receiver sights for a lever guns are the Redfield and the Lyman Model 66. Having grown up in the Rocky Mountain States, long shots were more the norm than the exception and I value a sight that can be adjusted quickly for various ranges, particularly with a lever gun whose trajectory is the antithesis of a laser beam.

I generally replace the bead front sight with a blade as that gives me a better, more repeatable sight picture on both live and inanimate targets. It also mimics the sight picture of the military rifles that I made a living with so that's a plus too.

Old Dawg
01-22-2014, 01:02 AM
I have Williams Foolproof on my lever actions but I prefer the Merit iris aperture as it is easy to adjust for range or light conditions.

snaketail
01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Airman Basic - I put a Marbles tang sight on my Rossi 92 and a lower front sight (as recommended). I could not get it sighted in beyond 50 yards. Changed to Marbles "Improved" sight with mid-range post, replaced original front sight post - much better now.
If I were starting over I'd go with a receiver sight and do like Old Dawg with Merit Iris.

Airman Basic
01-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I was almost sure I had seen a receiver sight somewhere that replaced the safety on the Rossi with a drop in unit. Maybe I'm dreaming.

FergusonTO35
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Pretty sure I've seen that particular sight on the stevesgunz website.

Airman Basic
01-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Yeah, finally found it with the right search terms in Google. The site's search is pretty much useless.