PDA

View Full Version : relative humidity level

shaune509
01-17-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm asking at what percent you set your dehumidfier for a gun shop/storage area.
I live in the eastern side of Washington, we are on the most part a dry area and I have not had any problems with rust on guns and reloading tools. In the past the shop was heated with wood [the state hates wood and loves burn bans] but now I have a ventless gas heater to maintain the area at 55-60. Got a dehumidfier and have it set at 60% and all seems ok, What % do others use?
Shaune509

Ed Barrett
01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Those ventless gas heaters put out a lot of water into the air. I had some figures on how much,but I can't find them now. I'm sure you can find info with an internet search.

rockrat
01-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Even with a ventless heater, I doubt the humidity in my shop gets above 20%. Around here, I doubt the humidity get to 100% even when it is raining!!!

bangerjim
01-17-2014, 10:01 PM
You can buy a little cheap digital humidity/temp meter at WalMart so you know where you are at. I have several of them for the shops and the house.

Here in AZ, we worry about it being too low!

banger

uscra112
01-18-2014, 02:53 AM
I never worry about what the exact humidity is. What I do worry about is temperature variance. Ambient air gets cool, metal gets cool, then the air warms up and whatever water is in the air condenses on the metal. Can happen at almost any RH.

shaune509
01-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replys, I have not seen any problem as of yet. The room will only warm up when outside temps get above the 60 that I'm holding the winter temp at, and the ambiant air should then be dryer. As of now the setting of the dehumidifer is only showing condensation on the single pane window,
Shaune509

David2011
01-18-2014, 10:43 PM
My safes have Goldenrod dehumidifiers in them. They produce a LITTLE heat (warm but won't burn you) which keeps the safe interior drier than the ambient conditions and prevent condensation. Many locales have much higher humidity in the winter than summer. That's why the Central Valley of CA has the terrible thick fog that causes massive traffic pileups.

David

dragon813gt
01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
50% is design conditions for a central air system. So this would be a good starting point. Like said above you want to mitigate temperature swings. Dewpoint will come into play if the space is unconditioned.

lightman
01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
I have a Golden Rod in my safe, and just for kicks bought a humidity gauge. It reads between 45 and 50 everytime that I look at it. It was way higher than that when it was in my truck, on the way home! I agree that temp swings are a big problem, and I'm really thankful that my safe is indoors, and not in the shop or garage.

MT Gianni
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Those ventless gas heaters put out a lot of water into the air. I had some figures on how much,but I can't find them now. I'm sure you can find info with an internet search.

Depending on area humidity, they average 1 gallon per 100,000 btu's burned.