PDA

View Full Version : Now here is something I don't understand....

shotstring
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Was just watching a documentary on the history or national geographic channel that was made in 2005 I believe. It is on the history of bullets. In any event, the final 10 minutes or so involved the marines at Quantico making target/sniper ammumition with some curious details. Is there some law in broadcasting that doesn't allow the making of explosive elements on the screen? That is the only reason I could figure to describe what I saw. The marines were making super consistent ammo, weighing out and measuring each component, and then loading a SPENT primer into the case! This was followed by showing them load KITTY LITTER in place of powder into the casing, and after the bullet was seated, showing the finished ammo going into the plastic boxes for storage. The only thing was, the finished rifle ammunition HAD NO PRIMERS! The loads were placed nose down in a 100 round box, with a big black hole where the primer should have been!

Pretty peculiar stuff.

imashooter2
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Perhaps the Marines chose not to load real ammo with the distractions of the cameras...

AZ-Stew
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
More likely, some junior officer didn't want to have the responsibility of a civilian camera crew in the proximity of real components.

I've seen that same show on the History Channel. I just shrugged it off as stage props displayed for a mostly unknowing audience.

Regards,

Stew

montana_charlie
12-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Those kitty litter loads are lit with cannon fuse...not primers. I'm surprised the Marines would let that secret ammo be photographed!

Shooting those rounds takes some dedicated follow through. Only a Marine has the concentration to hold the sights on target until that propellant ignites.
But, they knock the cat crap out of jihadists...
CM

eka
12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I have seen that piece recently also. As I recall there was a lot of things they didn't get just right. Really bashed the use of lead in projectiles. BAD BAD BAD!!! But, I guess it would be a tall order for most average media guys to make a gun or ammo documentary that would pass complete muster with us gun heads.

Keith

NOUGLYGUN
12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
They could have been new. Why give them real stuff if they are going to pull it apart and do it over and over agin.

The Double D
12-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I can think of two reasons...

First--work/safety rules for the camera crew.

or.

Second --The Marines thought the whole idea of being filmed for the Discovery Channel was a dumb idea and pulled a fast one the film crew. Or a subplot the Marines thought the camera crew were bunch of DA 's and pulled a fast one on them.

I like the second one the best.

Razor
12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I noticed the kitty litter and the no primer thing also..
I gotta go with DD on this one..
I like the Marines' subplot idea best.. :>)

Razor

Bret4207
12-06-2007, 06:34 AM
I like the fact most of the posters were aware "Marine" is a proper title and capitalized it properly. Thanks guys! As for for TV piece, it's a super secret Marine program. Kitty litter is so powerful you don't even NEED a primer!

leftiye
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Bret, you're sure it isn't the kitty ____ that's so powerful? Death to all cats! (Except mine).

TCLouis
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
the supposed "experts" referred to loaded round of ammunition as "bullets".

What Forrest Gump said . . .

floodgate
12-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Like it or not, languages DO evolve! Otherwise we'd all be speaking the Anglo-Saxon of the Beowulf era. I'd estimate that - outside of the firearms community - 90% or more of the references (even in police and court reporting; let alone detective novels and the "media") to "bullets" are to complete cartridges. Even the 1969 Edition of the Random House "College Dictionary" I just got down from the shelf has as the No. 2 meaning of "bullet" = "a cartridge". Maybe our use of "boolits" will stave off the inevitable for a while yet - but I'm not counting on it...

I used to jump all over my teen-age (30 years back) son for referring to automobile, motorcycle and bicycle wheels as "rims", when everyone knows that wheels are built up from "hubs", "spokes" and "rims" - except that by then, as he pointed out (smart-a** kid!) they were starting to come as one-piece units, and "rims" is as good a term as any.

Then there are wonderful examples from the past, such as the early English "flutter by" being transformed into "butterfly"; or "A norange" (Sp. "naranjo", etc.) becoming "An orange"; and many, many more....

(Just another rant from "The Old Peed-ant")

floosgate

Edit PS: Hey, that last one rhymed! I'm a poet, and didn't knowit. Sorry, "Versifier". FG (Time to hang it up for today. Bye!)

mooman76
12-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I used to work at Quantico alot of years ago in the Marines. We would issue them match ammo and the shooting team would completely tear it down and end up using nothing but the brass shell and scrap the rest. I had access to the components but back then but it meant nothing to me because I didn't reload. I gave my uncle about a thousand pull down bullets and a bunch of 308 brass and you would have thought I gave him gold! Too bad I don't have access to it now!

The Double D
12-07-2007, 02:48 AM
I like the fact most of the posters were aware "Marine" is a proper title and capitalized it properly. Thanks guys! As for for TV piece, it's a super secret Marine program. Kitty litter is so powerful you don't even NEED a primer!

Yes Marine is a title like Senator, President, or Governor, only different. It's an earned title and carries with it honor and fidelity.

DD
SGT
USMC 3 MAR 1966 to 31 AUG 1973

Bret4207
12-07-2007, 06:53 AM
OOOOOHHH RRRRAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWM, Cpl USMC 79-83

lathesmith
12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
It just goes to show...don't believe everything you see on TV. I saw a program about "the History of the Revolver" on the discovery channel; kinda interesting program, but loaded with factual inaccuracies. Remember, you can watch dinosaurs chasing people on TV, so just about anything is possible.

yeahbub
12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Another example of dumbing things down so the untermensch don't hurt themselves? . . . Or get any ideas about trying this themselves.

montana_charlie
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I like the fact most of the posters were aware "Marine" is a proper title and capitalized it properly. Thanks guys!

Yes Marine is a title like Senator, President, or Governor
To the first comment I would say, "No thanks required, as it is the proper thing to do."

But as to the reason that capitalization is proper, perhaps this makes sense...

If the U.S. Army had a different name, like United States Soldier Force, each member would be a 'capitalized' Soldier. But tradition didn't work out that way down through the centuries.

As for the 'earned' title? No newby, in any of the armed services, is accepted as a full member until he has satisfied all of the basic requirements. So, all have to earn the 'classification' of soldier, airman, seaman, or Marine...thereby dumping the classification of 'recruit'.

Titles that are 'earned' include Sergeant, Marksman, Team Leader, etcetera.

It's fine to be proud of one's service branch, and Marines have plenty to be proud of. But, to say it's a title like Senator or President (???)...there's no need to suffer from delusions of grandeur.
CM

The Double D
12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Charlie,

The point for me is that of late the title of Soldier, Airman, Seaman (Sailor), or Marine seem to carry a bit more honor than the others. But we will drift to politics if we go much further and that is not permited here

Bret4207
12-07-2007, 01:59 PM
"Marine" is the proper title by which to address any member of the USMC, from the lowliest private to the Commandant himself. Refering to a Marine by rank is also acceptable of course. IIRC that comes from the Commandant in response to a similar statement some years back. No offense, and I'm not overdoing it, we just do things a little different. Educating the rest of humanity will take time....

fatnhappy
12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Every uniformed man and woman in America's armed services is a volunteer. For that fact alone they earn my respect and admiration.