PDA

View Full Version : Family hog hunting ideas

Bored1
01-17-2014, 01:27 AM
Been tossing around the idea of a family hog hunt for awhile now, wondering if anyone has some suggestions? I live in Nebraska, so thinking about either Oklahoma or Texas. Determining factor currently would be price. Would really like to be able to take my son (7) and daughter (10) along with me & my woman for a weekend this spring/summer. Found one ranch in oklahoma thats 310$ a piece for the weekend for each adult and and extra 100$ for each youngster. Youngsters not looking to shoot, but would like to give them the memories experience of a hog hunt while everything is still so magical to them!!! Their own hunt will come when they are old enough to be able to participate. Any suggestions/ideas or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!!

clownbear69
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Why don't you come down to southern (relative south) New Mexico? its public land and don't need a hunting license for hogs. Its around Alamogordo if I remember correctly where there's a pretty stout population

Bored1
01-17-2014, 10:21 AM
I will have to look into that. I am open to any ideas, just trying to find options so I can decide what would work best instead of just rushing out and spending too much money on a wild goose chase per say!

Keyston44
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I went hog hunting in Oklahoma a few years ago and had a great time. They have added some different animals since I've been there.

http://allabouturanch.com/

Key

Dinny
01-18-2014, 11:30 PM
I have a place to hunt hogs in SW Oklahoma that charges $100 per day per person, no limit. OK nonresident 5-day hunting licenses run $75. PM me if interested in contact info. This is a private farm.

Thanks, Dinny

OKSaddletramp
01-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I have a place to hunt hogs in SW Oklahoma that charges $100 per day per person, no limit. OK nonresident 5-day hunting licenses run $75. PM me if interested in contact info. This is a private farm.

Thanks, Dinny

Hi Dinny,

I only live about an hour from Lawton, and I would be interested in a pig hunt as well. I just have to get decent enough weather to work up loads in my .308 with my new C309-200-2R lee mould.

PM sent

NVScouter
01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Ive been looking into one too. The nearest is about 9 hours away in Shoshone ID but I'm not sure it isnt a canned hunt. NM OK and TX are farther but I could turn it into a 4 day trip with two full hunting days.

This thread was great timing since I was just searching N.OK this weekend. All I found were canned hunts and big $$.

Tell me more about this NM area (looking into it now).

NVScouter
01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
What hunt did you do?

The website says 9K acre free range hunt or canned hunting perserve over feeders. They are $250/day and $250 per extra hog. Also on the main page is "WE BUY HOGS! ANY TYPE/SIZE" this put a screaming immage in my head of pen shoot.

You said you had a great time, what was the hunt like?

I went hog hunting in Oklahoma a few years ago and had a great time. They have added some different animals since I've been there.

http://allabouturanch.com/

Key

Smoke4320
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
"WE BUY HOGS! ANY TYPE/SIZE" this put a screaming immage in my head of pen shoot.

with that posted... even if "free range"... there is going to be some "farm" animals

would much prefer a true wild hog hunt

Keyston44
01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
They have both. When I hunted there, we hunted open range over feeders. You can spot and stalk but hogs are pretty much nocturnal without the use of feeders or dogs. If you are a real man you can knife them.

Key

Keyston44
01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
While doing my research for a hog hunt I found while hogs are a non native species with no limits and are very destructive, no rancher or farmer will just let you go and shoot them without lining their pocket. There is just too much money to be made either from government subsidies on the damage they do or hunters willing to pay to hunt them. It was just easier to go with an outfitter that specializes in hog hunts.
All about U Ranch also catches and relocates hogs like you see on TV.
The food, hospitality and accommodations were worth the trip it's self. I had a great time and shot a descent hog too.

Key

DanWalker
01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Ive been looking into one too. The nearest is about 9 hours away in Shoshone ID but I'm not sure it isnt a canned hunt. NM OK and TX are farther but I could turn it into a 4 day trip with two full hunting days.

This thread was great timing since I was just searching N.OK this weekend. All I found were canned hunts and big $$.

Tell me more about this NM area (looking into it now).
I have been looking for YEARS. All I seem to find are exactly what you're describing. Paying $500 to shoot a half wild pig inside a 100 acre pen isn't my cup of tea.

sixshot
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I've been to the one in Shoshone, although I didn't hunt it. Some friends were handgun hunting & both took hogs but the area is quite small & there are hogs everywhere, they're almost hunting you. Its mostly sagebrush & lava rock, very open country. The guy also has some exotic sheep, etc, including one huge ostrich that was trying real hard to get at us, the little Browning Hi-Power I was packing didn't scare him one bit. Go to Texas, I've handgunned them there & also knifed two more, not thats a rush!

Dick

NVScouter
01-24-2014, 07:00 PM
I have been looking for YEARS. All I seem to find are exactly what you're describing. Paying $500 to shoot a half wild pig inside a 100 acre pen isn't my cup of tea.

AMEN.

When I was stationed in TX I had two gun club memberships and got in pretty well with the local gun shops. I had a few offers but never at the right time to go. But thats what it takes to hog hunt for free on folks lands. Too many dudes not respecting land owners so its hard to get an invite.

Dan we should check out this NM area!

NVScouter
01-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I was thinking it might be fun for my 4 year old and I to go for a weekend. Take the 357Herrett or 45-70 since he LOVES to hunt. Seasons over and he keeps asking me to go kill more stuff. Some pork in the freezer would break up the deer antelope elk routine a bit.

I've been to the one in Shoshone, although I didn't hunt it. Some friends were handgun hunting & both took hogs but the area is quite small & there are hogs everywhere, they're almost hunting you. Its mostly sagebrush & lava rock, very open country. The guy also has some exotic sheep, etc, including one huge ostrich that was trying real hard to get at us, the little Browning Hi-Power I was packing didn't scare him one bit. Go to Texas, I've handgunned them there & also knifed two more, not thats a rush!

Dick

kweidner
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Lord in Georgia land owners pay YOU to shoot em. My brother does this on a regular basis and CHARGES the farmer for pest control. He likes to stab em. LOL. I hate em in my deer woods and will kill everyone I see. FT Stewart is FULL. I could kill a truck load in a day in D15 and pay $60.00 for the year for the opportunity to hunt all their acerage.

taco650
01-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Lord in Georgia land owners pay YOU to shoot em. My brother does this on a regular basis and CHARGES the farmer for pest control. He likes to stab em. LOL. I hate em in my deer woods and will kill everyone I see. FT Stewart is FULL. I could kill a truck load in a day in D15 and pay $60.00 for the year for the opportunity to hunt all their acerage.

They can be hunted on Ft. Benning as well but there is a fee-don't know what it is.

Fishman
01-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Most daylease hog hunting in TX will be over feeders and the majority of those will be for hogs that have been trapped and relocated to a fenced area. If you want free-range wild hog hunting, public land will provide that but it will be difficult to include the kids. I used to take my daughter spot-stalking when bow hunting lake Granger and she was 7. We got into them a couple times but I never connected. She did have a small buck walk right up to her one time. Anyway, just be aware what you are buying and make sure you really do want that.

DanWalker
01-26-2014, 11:11 AM
AMEN.

When I was stationed in TX I had two gun club memberships and got in pretty well with the local gun shops. I had a few offers but never at the right time to go. But thats what it takes to hog hunt for free on folks lands. Too many dudes not respecting land owners so its hard to get an invite.

Dan we should check out this NM area!

My best friend hunted hogs and javalina down there for 2 years and only ever saw one javalina in 2 years of hunting and covering a LOT of ground every day on foot and with binoculars. He said you see lots of tracks, but no critters. I'm guessing they are mostly noctournal.

dk17hmr
01-26-2014, 02:20 PM
We were looking at the place in Idaho for a bow hunt, tried to book a hunt last year and the guy said he was full for the year, haven't called this year. Its really not all that far from my house. Some of the guys I shoot archery with went there a couple years ago and had a blast, they also said there was hogs everywhere and wasn't much of a hunt. If you made a game of it and went out with a bunch of your friends and in the morning shot one with a paint ball gun than put a $100 bet on it to whoever killed the painted one lol.

There are a couple places in Utah that have them also but I think they go to stock auction and buy the cheapest pigs they can and just let them go.

NVScouter
01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
The UT ones got shut down by the state last year.