PDA

View Full Version : foil faced insulation board

bensonwe
01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used cooking aluminum foil to cover insulation board? I have a 10 foot run I need to insulate and I already have the board and foil. I don't want to purchase another insulation board if I can cover it myself and have it work. thanks

Sweetpea
01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
I've seen it done.

Be sure to use an adhesive that will not attack the foam board.

Brandon

MtGun44
01-16-2014, 11:51 PM
+1 on the glue being compatible. I think you'll spend a lot more time and money on the
glue and foil than a board costs.

I think I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" foam with foil a couple years ago for about $10 or so.

Bill

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-17-2014, 12:49 PM
water based contact cement, it works, just takes forever to dry so you can assemble

shooter93
01-17-2014, 09:43 PM
You can put the foil on either side. I put foil on the back side of my ceiling drywall betwee the first and second floors because I have under the floor heat. The foil acts as a radiant barrier. If you don't want the foil caing out towards the room because of reflection or it being easilt damaged use 1/4 inch staples to fasten it to the foan before installing it.

uscra112
01-17-2014, 11:58 PM
There is a 3M spray adhesive that is foam safe. Green can as I recall. I used it for sticking thin wood veneers to blue foam for model airplane wings, when I was building that kind of airplanes. Maybe tricky to use with something as thin as foil. Also used water-base contact adhesive, which did MY job better, but might be even more trouble with foil.

That foil-faced foam is now about $20+ a sheet at Lowes. I used it to make winter deadlights for the windows in the attic this year. Makes it dark, but the heat stays where it will do some good.

David2011
01-18-2014, 11:11 PM
What MtGUn44 said. Scotch 77 will work and is safe on every foam I've used it on including white expanded bead and blue insulation foam. It will cost about as much as a foil covered board. It's good for a lot of applications, though. A light coat on something you want to fiberglass will hold the cloth in place while you apply epoxy or polyester resin. It makes a good contact cement. I've laminated balsa sheeting to foam wing cores when building R/C airplanes.

David