PDA

View Full Version : Holster for driving?

Johnch
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
OK I had to make a road trip today , to a out of town Doctor

I hate the drive and worse is where the Doctor's is
Detroit , not my idea of a good town

OK , so I wanted to use my CCW

Normaly I use a SOB holster for my Sig 229

But no very comfortable for me,for a hour + drive each way

So I used a nylon holster and stuck the holster between the front seats

I got to thinking , there has to be a comfortable CCW holster ( non shoulder ) for a right handed person
On the shoulder holster idea , I have 2
Great holsters , but not my cup of tea

Any ideas for a Med auto ?
As I have to go see the Doc every month

John

Dale53
01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
A simple cross draw holster will work for CCW and be available when seated in a car with the seat belt fastened.

FWIW
Dale53

canthitsquat
01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I have a nylon holster on my steering column, just put a radiator clamp through the belt loop.

horsesoldier
01-16-2014, 01:42 AM
I wear an IWB crossbreed holster and I can draw it just fine sitting in the truck

MtGun44
01-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Right handed or left? Rt handed with a seat with lots of side bolster is a bit tough
to draw from IWB, but can be done. Crossdraw is great seated, but IMO, not to
concealable the rest of the time unless you have on a substantial coat.

If lefty, an IWB can work better, but a bench seat is the best for either side
IWB. Bolstered buckets are not so good.

Drive a lot and use rt hand IWB, works well and is comfortable enough - at least
my Milt Sparks Watch 6 with 1911 is.

Bill

Bzcraig
01-16-2014, 02:15 AM
I wear an IWB crossbreed holster and I can draw it just fine sitting in the truck

Yep been using my crossbreed for about 3 years and I plan on buying another for a second gun I like to carry.

Bad Water Bill
01-16-2014, 04:25 AM
It IS winter. Heavy coats are worn under your seat belt.

Now what are the options?

CONCEALED is the law so steering column will not be an option.

HNSB
01-16-2014, 05:16 AM
My winter coat has a compartment on the chest that fits a small pistol nicely.

Down South
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Cooler months, I prefer my shoulder holster. I know you said no shoulder holster but it works perfect for me. I carry a full size 1911. Just slip on a baggy shirt or light jacket and you are good to go.
Cross draw would work since you are right handed.

Trey45
01-16-2014, 08:53 AM
I've spent some time in the Warren area of Michigan and know how cold it can get up there. Rothco makes a 3 season jacket with built in CCW pockets that are easy to get to with a shoulder belt on while driving. Have a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSJblezdu4o I wore mine all day yesterday with a Government model 1911 and 3 magazines stowed in it. Very comfortable and easy access.

historicfirearms
01-16-2014, 09:06 AM
FYI a pistol doesn't have to be concealed in the car when you are in Michigan. Lots of times I will take mine out and put it on the passenger seat, or in the console, while driving. It's more comfortable and quicker access.

Ramar
01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
I frequently do 9 to 14 hour drives and I use a right hand holster clipped to the right corner of my captains bucket seat next to my bent right knee. Easy reach and not visible from the driver's window. Upon my exit it usually goes right into my pocket with the holster left behind. I also have a seat cover (sheep skin of course) and keep that corner loose and pull it over the holster and gun if there's a need to have it hidden for a moment or more.

canthitsquat- I like the steering column rig.

I use a "Clip Draw" on my S&W 37 and that really helps on my person and many other places. Got one on my 1911 and another on CZ-75.
Ramar

Rick Hodges
01-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I am left handed. I carry IWB crossdraw (appendix carry) most of the time. Once you find the right position for it so it doesn't interfere with your hip it is very comfortable.
My current carry gun is a S&W Shield 40...welcome to the war zone. Are you headed to Henry Ford Hospital? Great facility.

375RUGER
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I wear my regular IWB with 4" 1911 while driving, daily, usually above right hip but can switch to crossdraw if needed . On long trips, over 2 hours, I just drop the whole rig into the map pocket in the car door. Just experiment, at first you will notice but after a few days you won't even think about it.

Johnch
01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I am a right handed person

I have never tryed a cross draw holster
But maybe it is time to

If I can wear it with a longer shirt , IMO it should work

I just don't like moving the pistol from 1 holster to another when I get to where I am going

And with all the wacko's out there
A carry gun is a good idea

John

375RUGER
01-16-2014, 04:25 PM
IMO crossdraw is easier to draw when sitting.