PDA

View Full Version : Youtube gun channel with cast boolit guest star

Christorbust
01-15-2014, 07:19 PM
This is a teaser for the VIR networks Armory segment, a segment about guns.

The teaser shows a cast boolits journey from start to finish, and some of the ways that guns/shooting can be too complex if you let it be.

Let me know what you think, and please enjoy, because that's what it was made for.

WARNING: not meant to be educational, and may not align 100% with your personal safety practices, no people were harmed and no lead was wasted in the making of this teaser (I got flamed last time I posted a video for fun :coffeecom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXUBKjhaOxI

deoje
01-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Neat video. I would be interested in knowing some of your filming techniques. Do you have someone else running the camera?

StromBusa
01-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I love it! I get it. Nice bullet, what is the mold #?

williamwaco
01-15-2014, 11:19 PM
I thought it was very well done. Especially the narration.

Not particularly educational but that was not the goal, I found it pleasantly entertaining and it clearly ( to me ) explains the attraction, the calling of the process, why I want to do it.

Christorbust
01-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys.

There was someone else running the camera. It was mostly shot handheld, but there were a couple scenes from tripod, and I think a few from a sliding rig.

That was the Mihec 359-125 HP or Mihec 9mm -125 HP, a great mold! It was a bummer that the boolit drop shot that got used had wrinkled boolits, but hey they still fly straight out of the nine...

DRNurse1
01-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Excellent video. I like your choice of background music and the environment you choose for your images. You summarized the myriad of thoughts and processees surrounding the production of a cartridge and discharging a firearm in a personal perspective two minute video.

Now some COMMENTS (I might chat about these observations F2F, and along the chat include my personal solutions offered here to these observations, but in no way am I criticizing or flaming on your good work and personal effort):

A: do you have a IWB holster or were you carrying gangsta-style? I would consider a holster for future videos and for this one 'my deep concealment holster was not visible.' While you do not truly need one, it sets a good example [safety]

B: have you considered clamping a larger board to your table when lube-sizing and reloading? it may increase the stability and prevent damage to the surface of your table.

C: have you researched the common terminology for firearms/ guns? Trigger squeeze or press is more common, your sight alignment snippet is poor, there was no mention of the safety rules, and the range safety rule of knowing your target and what is beyond.

Your video presents your thoughts on building and shooting boolits and it is your opinion, I know this, but I fear that your work might be over-romanticized or the subtle(IMHO) importance-of-safety message provided might be missed without expressing it overtly.

D: HOW ON EARTH DO YOU KEEP YOUR GUN ROOM SO CLEAN!!! [all right, that might be flaming, sorry.]

Excellent work and a good addition to the shooting world. In two minutes you summarized the “Emily Gets Her Gun” series even if it is a bit romanticized. Thank you for representing the casting and shooting community well.

--I have that mould and, after getting it working again from the preheated drop into the melt pot, love it. I have some difficulty keeping it hot enough to cast 'pretty' each time. Maybe try a hotplate (that will be my next try)? I like the paddle trick, and it may work well for me since I usually cast with 2 or 3 moulds at a time to keep them up to temperature.

white eagle
01-15-2014, 11:47 PM
cool I saw MP mold,Lyman lubesizer and a Lee progressive press not to mention the bottom pour pot
nice

Artful
01-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Lyman making RCBS green lubesizer's now?

Good Video - I actually love the disclaimer! :drinks:

geargnasher
01-16-2014, 12:19 AM
FWIW, those were two well-spent minutes of my life. Thanks.

Gear

Christorbust
01-16-2014, 12:20 AM
DrNurse (I'm a regular nurse btw)

Thank you for your cautious approach, I in no way felt flamed, and I appreciate that and it allows me to deal with the validity of your words, rather than defend myself.

A: I was unfortunately carrying "gangsta style." It's funny you mention this, because I thought about it in hindsight and thought "that looks dangerous." I personally carry concealed this way because of the style of clothes my wife buys me, my stick skinny frame, and I oddly find it more comfortable. Its a personal choice for off screen but I think I will pull out my old IWB holster for future vids. Thanks for the tip.

B: I think I could use a larger board, or ideally a universal setup up I could change between my presses/luber sizer. I haven't figured that one out yet.

C: I have only researched as much as I have read/watched for entertainment or learning, which is a decent amount, but apparently I'm lacking in some vocab. Script writing was harder than anticipated, and I took the words that came to me when they finally did!!! Oh and the sight alignment shot was difficult to get perfect too. It looked great on the 2" preview screen, but once home on a real monitor... you could see the results.

I agree that this was definitely pretty "romanticized," which is not the overall intent we hope to carry into the channel, this was more of a dramatic teaser: "hey we like guns, they are overly complicated by the world at large, they are meant to be enjoyed and can even be a talent filled hobby. Btw we know how to use a camera and a computer."

About the safety rules, we feel they are super important, and are still trying to figure out how to cover them. For us as friends that have grown up together they are all pretty much unspoken, unless someone breaks them, then they are quickly spoken. For video purposes we are torn between:
-touching on them when doing actual shooting
-making one video to cover the basics
-or just putting a little caveat in writing in the video and/or description

FYI for that video there was no actual shooting, or live bullets in guns even.

D: I wish my gun room was that clean too, it was a living room it was staged!!! My gun room probably looks exactly like yours, quite full.

Thanks for the thoughts.

geargnasher
01-16-2014, 12:49 AM
My gun room looks like tornado wreckage. The Spartan, empty room with only the tool in use clearly displayed, together with the neat super-close-up, was very dramatic and effective. The clip wasn't perfect, but I liked the concept of the whole thing and the way it was done so much it didn't matter to me. Instant fanboy. Keep it up.

Oh, and for safety stuff? Just DO it. Show it being done. Don't make a fuss about it, just consistently nail the safety details. Yes, I automatically noticed the lack of holster, presence of earplugs, and lack of safety glasses. Also noticed the standard safe practice of "pointed downrange when loading" and the not loading until ready to fire, as opposed to showing something like pulling a loaded gun from the pants. These are things I instantly and automatically look for and check off mentally when there is about to be shooting going on. If it's missing, it's a mental red flag. If it isn't, I hardly notice. See what I mean? Professionals don't MAKE a big deal out of safety and PPE, it's simply a GIVEN that it IS a big deal and do it very deliberately and always.

Gear

Bzcraig
01-16-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm not a film critic, just a film viewer and I've viewed it twice so far and will again. Put together well, narrated well, a bit of intrigue and the hook was set. I guess I have to subscribe now to get more than the teaser. Don't take it personal when the critics show up, they do mean well! Hopefully they take to heart your disclaimer that it is intended as entertainment and not education but I have to encourage you to use that talent to make a good educational video too.

MtGun44
01-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Very nicely done. I don't whack on my MP molds though, run hot and cut off
with a golved hand. Make sure you have a trace of Bullplate mold lube on the top of the
blocks and bottom of the sprue plate and it will be fine when the sprues are
extremely soft, almost liquid.

The voice over is well written, and the production quality is certainly NOT
amateur.

Well done!

Bill

Trinidad Bill
01-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Christorbust...

Well done and I enjoyed it. The statement embodied a lot of the emotions that run through our being as we work through the casting, reloading, and shooting process. It is indeed an art form.

Wayne Smith
01-16-2014, 02:26 PM
You have demonstrated your poetic ability, keep it up. You articulate what many of us feel and get tongue tied trying to communicate. Good entertainment educates without ever lecturing or hectoring. It will be in the details that you communicate safety, not in the overt text or voiceover. I'd say a very good start to what will hopefully be a long career.

TenTea
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Very nice work. Thank you.

eta: If you ever hire any female actors, maybe you could show them the casting couch. :wink:

Pb2au
01-16-2014, 03:06 PM
very excellent. Thank you very much for sharing.

dondiego
01-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Very nice work. Thank you.

eta: If you ever hire any female actors, maybe you could show them the casting couch. :wink:

Ohhhh, Groan! hehehehe

prs
01-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice film essay.

prs

Guardian
01-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Enjoyed it.

TCFAN
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
I am now a subscriber and hope to see more of your excellent work.........Terry

jonp
01-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Good job. I thought the filming was very clear and the background was decent.

Ole
01-16-2014, 11:22 PM
I doubt this is your first endeavor with filming but you have a gift for sure. I enjoyed your video and wish you the best.

Grantb
01-16-2014, 11:53 PM
I truly enjoyed the video. Thank you!

Bullwolf
01-17-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't watch many Youtube videos, but I really enjoyed viewing that one, nice job.

Two things that I found hard to watch though were when you tapped the side of that beautiful MP brass mold with a stick, rather than the hinge bolt to get the boolits to fall free... And the gangster style of carry. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

If the carry method works for you, go with it. Any gun that I carried close to my skin like that would rust shortly on me, and I would likely drop it in the mud sooner or later while climbing under or over a fence.

I bet you could cut the sprue by hand with that glove however, and a light tap on the bolt rather than the mould blocks would drop the boolit just as easily, and have the added benefit of being kinder to the mould. (that operation may be a bit more difficult to perform quickly on camera though)

Despite those two little nits to pick, it was still a most excellent video. I enjoyed the narration as well as the theme and music you set it to. I look forward to watching your next video as well.

Cheers.

- Bullwolf

Ajax
01-17-2014, 06:52 AM
I really liked the video and i saw where you TAPPED the pins not the mold block. Good job and i am a subscriber.

Andy

ShooterAZ
01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Finally a breath of fresh air from a you-tube video. Most aren't worth watching, this one truly is. Nice job.

Echo
01-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Dang good. I enjoyed it, and will forward the URL to my shooting buds.

Echo
01-17-2014, 01:46 PM

snuffy
01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
I go along with the others tips, but my tip is for us old farts that have trouble hearing. Your voice "cracks" making it a guessing game for us hard of hearing,(deaf-as-a-post) folks. Since I couldn't "see" you talking I couldn't read lips either.

Otherwise it's a well done video, short and to the point. Keep it up!:grin:

John Allen
01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I thought it was a very good video for the lay person. The only ting that made me cringe was whacking a mihec mold. I just use a gloved hand to open them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
A great video for sure,
my thinking parallels most of the comments so far,
I'd only add one thing, Maybe an actual shot being fired...maybe in slo-mo.

cbrick
01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Interesting video right up until you hit that MP mold, made me cringe and then almost fell out of the chair when you hit the pins to slide them out. Didn't see much after that, going cross eyed will do that ya. :coffeecom

Rick

waco
01-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Well done. I enjoyed it. I use a wooden handle to break open sprue plates as well. Does not harm a thing.......

Christorbust
01-18-2014, 09:11 AM
I greatly appreciate the compliments, and tips. Seriously, coming from the members in this forum, the compliments mean a lot. I might just have to make another video one day! :drinks:

...and apparently, You can just open the mihec with a gloved hand... who knew?!? I'll have to try that next time around.

I also thought the voice was a little quiet at first, but the guy who edited it did it on a computer with speakers and a sub said a lot of the lower tones are lost on laptop speakers and such making the voice hard to hear. I plugged in my speakers and it was a lot easier.

Oh, and I really wanted to have a shot at the end too... really, really wanted to, but at my current location I don't have a shooting home, and my buddy wanted to get it filmed the day we did, so no shot...:violin:

Christorbust
01-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Sharing the video is also greatly appreciated, and will help us on our endeavor!!!

zomby woof
01-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Very well done. I enjoyed it.

You need to secure the Loadmaster better. It needs to be solid on the bench.

grampa243
01-18-2014, 10:14 AM
I am now a subscriber

Down South
01-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys.

There was someone else running the camera. It was mostly shot handheld, but there were a couple scenes from tripod, and I think a few from a sliding rig.

That was the Mihec 359-125 HP or Mihec 9mm -125 HP, a great mold! It was a bummer that the boolit drop shot that got used had wrinkled boolits, but hey they still fly straight out of the nine...
Great job on the video. I have that same mould and it does drop beautiful boolits.
Keep up the good work. We need more people to understand what we do.

Down South
01-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Interesting video right up until you hit that MP mold, made me cringe and then almost fell out of the chair when you hit the pins to slide them out. Didn't see much after that, going cross eyed will do that ya. :coffeecom

Rick
LOL, I saw that too. I have had to use a wooden hammer handle a few times on new Cramer moulds to lightly tap the pins until the mould started breaking in.
I'll agree with another post too. The reloading machine needs to be secured better.
Overall though, it was a great job.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I greatly appreciate the compliments, and tips. Seriously, coming from the members in this forum, the compliments mean a lot. I might just have to make another video one day! :drinks:

...and apparently, You can just open the mihec with a gloved hand... who knew?!? I'll have to try that next time around.

I also thought the voice was a little quiet at first, but the guy who edited it did it on a computer with speakers and a sub said a lot of the lower tones are lost on laptop speakers and such making the voice hard to hear. I plugged in my speakers and it was a lot easier.

Oh, and I really wanted to have a shot at the end too... really, really wanted to, but at my current location I don't have a shooting home, and my buddy wanted to get it filmed the day we did, so no shot...:violin:
There has been discussion of the gloved hand technique, since before I was a member. I was skeptical about it for the longest time. When I finally tried it, I WAS SOLD ! I bet you will be also.

Down South
01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
There has been discussion of the gloved hand technique, since before I was a member. I was skeptical about it for the longest time. When I finally tried it, I WAS SOLD ! I bet you will be also.
I have my moulds mounted the opposite direction in the handles and open the sprue plate with a gloved thumb.

williamwaco
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
My gun room looks like tornado wreckage. The Spartan, empty room with only the tool in use clearly displayed, together with the neat super-close-up, was very dramatic and effective. The clip wasn't perfect, but I liked the concept of the whole thing and the way it was done so much it didn't matter to me. Instant fanboy. Keep it up.

Oh, and for safety stuff? Just DO it. Show it being done. Don't make a fuss about it, just consistently nail the safety details. Yes, I automatically noticed the lack of holster, presence of earplugs, and lack of safety glasses. Also noticed the standard safe practice of "pointed downrange when loading" and the not loading until ready to fire, as opposed to showing something like pulling a loaded gun from the pants. These are things I instantly and automatically look for and check off mentally when there is about to be shooting going on. If it's missing, it's a mental red flag. If it isn't, I hardly notice. See what I mean? Professionals don't MAKE a big deal out of safety and PPE, it's simply a GIVEN that it IS a big deal and do it very deliberately and always.

Gear

I resemble that remark!