PDA

View Full Version : I know a better way!

oldred
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Just by chance would anyone here have a better and cheaper solution to this "problem"?

Toward the end of the article a bit of sanity is suggested but it's apparently falling on deaf ears.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/01/15/deer-control-by-scalpel-instead-guns-seen-as-costly-ineffective/

starmac
01-15-2014, 01:52 PM
They will be performing abortions next. I hope they have to raise the locals taxes to cover the expenses.

w5pv
01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Murder nothing but murder with out a trial.

454PB
01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
We have a Deer problem in the town where I live. They now have a program in place that traps the urban Deer, then they are killed with an air powered brain punch and the meat donated to various programs to feed the poor and homeless. I don't recall the exact numbers, but over the last few years they've eliminated over 300 deer at a very low cost.

pworley1
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
A town near me has a special no limit bow season for their in town deer. You have to get a special license from the town, and they only issue a low number, but it seems to be correcting the problem.

oldred
01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Obviously firearms hunting right in town would be questionable but a longer more liberal season outside in safe surrounding areas would solve the problem, naw I guess not, shooting them would be inhumane!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
We have a Deer problem in the town where I live. They now have a program in place that traps the urban Deer, then they are killed with an air powered brain punch and the meat donated to various programs to feed the poor and homeless. I don't recall the exact numbers, but over the last few years they've eliminated over 300 deer at a very low cost.

A great idea, except to He!! with the homeless...
A City could broker out the harvesting and butching of the Meat, then sell it on the open market for proceeds to lower the city taxes...just like my town (and many other towns in MN) does with the Municipal Liquor store.

wlc
01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
I'd be glad to help them curb the problem, especially at the $1200 a head it costs them to do the procedure. Has everyone gone completely loco? Best to hire professional animal control folks and let them do the snoop and shoot with suppressed 22's. Deer are easily baited and could be taken out quietly at close range needed for a 22. Only draw back is finding a suitable location in town to bait them to that would provide a safe area to shoot. Keep this up for a few years and presto chango deer pop is kept in check with only occasional reductions.

Smoke4320
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
open up a permit only hunt out of normal season.. city/county/state sells the permits.. gets proceeds.. hunters/homeless get the meat and problem solved

starmac
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
I'd be glad to help them curb the problem, especially at the $1200 a head it costs them to do the procedure. Has everyone gone completely loco? Best to hire professional animal control folks and let them do the snoop and shoot with suppressed 22's. Deer are easily baited and could be taken out quietly at close range needed for a 22. Only draw back is finding a suitable location in town to bait them to that would provide a safe area to shoot. Keep this up for a few years and presto chango deer pop is kept in check with only occasional reductions.

If they tried this, there would be an unending line of folks standing next to the feeder shooing them away, probably one of the reasons they even have a problem to start with.

xs11jack
01-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Use that PETA guy for bait! The deer must just love someone like that, Oh, pour a little deer urine on his clothes too.
Ole Jack

Blacksmith
01-15-2014, 10:50 PM
They just finished the annual two day managed deer hunt in the local state park and got 69. They have been doing this for over twenty years and when they started it ran for a week and the largest harvest was 324 in 1997 but as the numbers have gotten under control the harvest time, number of hunters and quantity taken have been reduced. Hunters are selected by lottery and have to pass a marksmanship test, 5 slugs in a paper plate at 50 yards. The hunters can take up to one buck and three does and they don't count against the season bag limit. Not real hunting the hunters are assigned a location and they drive the deer around to move them past the hunters. Volunteers pick up the carcass and take it to the processing station where they are checked for disease, eviscerated, and butchered and the hunter picks up the processed meat at the end of the day.

DRNurse1
01-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Maybe a better solution than the sterilization idiocy, but neither are really an appropriate use of my tax dollars and certainly not appropriate animal husbandry. Control the herd by appropriate harvesting, collect fees to monitor the herd, maintain the habitat, and police the poachers through licencing, and use my tax $$ for better things like locking up criminals.

MtGun44
01-16-2014, 01:55 AM
What idiots!

" a humane alternative to hunting to trim the city’s “exploding” deer population"

capturing and spaying deer at $1,200 per deer! I'll be they lose 10-20% to shock,
too, and are covering that up.

If they used blacksmith's hunting method, it would be nearly free.

They love doing stupid things with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!

Bill