PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet load data with jacketed bullets

NVScouter
12-04-2007, 11:47 PM
OK so Blue Dot loads with jacketed bullets are all the rage these days. I like them but they leave some to be desired. Guess why I took a serious look as casting my own?

Jacketed bullets do create a bit more pressure BUT:

So my Lyman man says 10gr of Green Dot w/ a 37 gr bullet creates 2624 FPS with 32,000cup.

My Hodgon man says a 40gr NOS BT with 39.5gr of Varget creates 51,000cup

So for cheap loads how many of you have used cast data to make cheap jacketed bullet loads for your use? I have a couple Blue dot loads that are nice, sorta quiet and accurate. But I think I need a few pounds of 2400 and GD.

nemo
12-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I Been use-in Jacked powder loads for 40-years in my cast loads,I use slower powers.Better acct and higher volsity I Shoot mainly handguns (TC)and 100% cast ffrom 50 yds to?

454PB
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Where do you find cheap jacketed bullets anymore?

Anytime a load recipe approaches the upper end of the pressure range for the particular cartridge, it's a bad idea to simply substitute a jacketed for a cast boolit. The opposite can be done though.

My personal guideline is that I can substitute a cast boolit for a jacketed bullet safely if the weight is the same and the seating depth provides an equal amount of case capacity. That doesn't mean I pick the hottest load listed and simply replace the jacketed bullet with cast and assume it will be lower in peak pressure. If I've already established a safe load using a jacketed bullet, then I know a cast boolit seated to the same depth will yield a lower peak pressure due to the relative softness of the cast bullet compared to the jacketed bullet.

Still, this is no excuse for not working up new loads whenever any component is changed.....be cautious!

Ricochet
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
It's not a new idea. Many years ago (circa WWI) the US arsenals loaded a "Guard cartridge" for short range practice in .30-06, with 9.1 grains of Bullseye under the standard 150 grain 1906 bullet for 1200 FPS.

NVScouter
12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Cheap is realative.

but cabelas sells the 46gr JHp for hornets for $7-8 per 100. This is great squirrel medicine in my book. And cheap using the 10gr of green dot instead of the 39.5gr of Varget in my 22-250.

Performance suffers but after years of shooting ground squirrels..really how bad can you blow them up? A few are very entertaining but I think the "Red Mist" is very very over exadgerated. After 20-40 squrriels you dont even go look anymore just chamber another round and look for the next one.

Nemo I think you got it backwards. Yeah if a load is worked up carefuly you can get some cast loads to work with jacketed data. But thats not this topic. I want slower, cheaper, milder loads using jacketed bullets with cast load data.

jonk
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I've done it. 11 gr of Red Dot and a 150 gr. M2 bullet in a 30-06.

deltaenterprizes
12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Do not use cast bullet loads with jacketed bullets,unless it is within range of published loadingdata from either the bullet or powder manufacturer. The extra hardness of the jacket will cause an increase in pressure .Sierra has a 1-800 number for data .