PDA

View Full Version : PID control equipment

Bignutt
01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm looking to get PID for my lee 4-20 and am looking at getting the parts to build myself I was wondering what you guys are thinking is the best route, I found the Auber website and it looks like everything is there I need, just wondering if there are other options out there. Thinking I just need the controller ,ssr ,heat sink, and thermocouple. Anything else besides a box to mount in?(I have one of those).Thanks.

bosterr
01-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Add up those prices and then compare to what you could buy one from Frozone.

Mike W1
01-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Add up those prices and then compare to what you could buy one from Frozone.

Just finished wiring mine. Took me quite a little time as I put spade lugs on all my connections and soldered them. Mine came to $163 for all the parts and I used Auber's larger box for mine. PM me if you want to know what I chose.

I am not sure Frozone is making one at the time but you'd have to check with him. Uncle Russ on CBA's site is doing them and I think he was getting $190 for his.

Frozone
01-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Kits starting at $140.
That includes Everything you need plus templates to do the cutouts and instructions on how to connect the soldered and ready to go wiring harness with a screw driver.
My kit also includes my proprietary 3 led warning system.
I have parts for 3 arriving end of this week.

Ausglock
01-15-2014, 03:02 AM
My re-use of an old UPS case for my double PID for the 2 lee pots.

Southern Son
01-15-2014, 04:16 AM
+1 for the Frozone machine, still loving mine.

dikman
01-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Good one, ausglock :drinks:. I'm a great believer in re-cycling stuff wherever possible. Interesting use of the speaker connectors. Where did you source the bits from (not the case)?

bpratl
01-15-2014, 05:52 AM
I built mine before Frozone was sell his kits and had to redo it per Frozone's suggestions. When I decide to get another one, I will buy his kit which will save me time and money.

Ausglock
01-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Good one, ausglock :drinks:. I'm a great believer in re-cycling stuff wherever possible. Interesting use of the speaker connectors. Where did you source the bits from (not the case)?

The PID's, SSR's and the K sensors are all Ebay from china.
The speaker connector was from Jcar.

dikman
01-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks cobber, I figured that was probably the case. Living in the Great Ozland, as we do, it's often the only way to get things at a reasonable price.

Bignutt
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Thats a nice setup with the two pots one feeding the other.

el34
01-15-2014, 12:22 PM
The PID's, SSR's and the K sensors are all Ebay from china.
The speaker connector was from Jcar.

Looks like the speaker connector is for the thermocouples. It's possible they could cause your temp readings to be off because they aren't made with the metals compatible with TC's.

My experience-

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211713-Does-your-PID-controller-lie-to-you

Ausglock
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
been running this setup for a few months with no issues. the PID has been checked with 2 Lyman thermometers and a digital one as well. Temp is close to these (5 Deg C variation) I can live with that.

Cane_man
01-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Auberin has all the parts but you will pay extra imo... cheaper to buy it all off ebay, i did mine that way and it was about $80

w0fms
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
I've done several PIDs (mainly for other hobbies) with MyPin PID's (make sure you get the autotune version), K-thermocouples (and RTDs for the lower temp food applications) and SSR's off of e-bay, no problem. It's not complicated. What the Frozone kit buys you is a quick and simple fix for the "nasty" part of the job, and that is packaging it all up. If you are a commensurate tinkerer, then PM me and I'll walk you through it. If your time is worth something, order a kit or unit from Frozone. But the offer to help whomever with the details of rolling your own PID from e-bay parts still stands. I'm an Electrical (and Software) Engineer and I like playing with this sort of stuff.

I will second that Auber has some nice stuff, but for 3x $$ of e-bay. Where they shine is when they reprogram (i.e. modify the software in) some of the Chinese PID units for special purposes like the Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine. For the uses here, standard controllers work great, and Auber is just kinda pricey...