PDA

View Full Version : backstop for cast boolets

wmitty
12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I'll be brief on this...

been using mud flaps stacked together to stop boolets; used approx. 25 stacked behind target support to stop .44 mag and .375 H&H cast loads. The .44 loads using Hornady swaged swc at 850 fps penetrated 7-8 layers; full power .44 loads penetrated 10-11 layers and .375 RCBS 250 grainer with 63 gr. 4895 penetrated 23 - 25 layers.

pros - stopped heaviest cast loads; allowed easy recovery of boolets; cheap*

cons - material is heavy and appears it would wear quickly if a large number of shots were fired into a small area

* flaps are picked up off interstate by highway maintenance crews along with the attending blown truck tires.

hammerhead357
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
We, my sons and I have been using 55 gallon plastic barrels filled with screened dirt at 25 and 50 yards. We have never had a bullet pass completely through the dirt. I won't use these at 100 yards because of the chance of misses, my youngest is 11 and at times doesn't have a lot of control.....Wes

oneokie
12-05-2007, 12:32 AM
An old refigerator or freezer filled with sand works well. Makes it easy to screen the bullets also.

MakeMineA10mm
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
When I was a young-in, an old Marine Gunny Sgt. told me that they used to shoot 45s into an issued heavy wool blanket thrown up over the clothes line. He said this was for Bullseye practice for national matches, so it was slow fire. He said that if you fired a shot, let the free-hanging blanket billow up and "catch" the bullets and wait on your next shot until the blanket hung straight down again, it worked fine. Anyone tried this???

I imagine keys to the success of this (if it's true) would be: Low velocity, large diameter, nose shape that doesn't enhance "cutting" ability of the bullet.

Sundogg1911
12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
we made "Baffles" from 1/4" steel plate that is angled down to force the bullets into the sand under them. Works very well, although i'm sure if we had to buy the plate we would have used something a lot cheaper.

38 Super Auto
12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I like the steel deflector plate and sand. It is similar to commercial bullet traps.

montana_charlie
12-05-2007, 04:49 PM
they used to shoot 45s into an issued heavy wool blanket thrown up over the clothes line.

if you fired a shot, let the free-hanging blanket billow up and "catch" the bullets and wait on your next shot until the blanket hung straight down again, it worked fine.
To start with, I would only try it with a .45 military round (as that is the basis of the claim) before working out to others.
But, I would have to actually see this one work before I can believe it.
CM

Ricochet
12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
They must have some tough blankets.

KYCaster
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
When I was a young-in, an old Marine Gunny Sgt. told me that they used to shoot 45s into an issued heavy wool blanket thrown up over the clothes line. He said this was for Bullseye practice for national matches, so it was slow fire. He said that if you fired a shot, let the free-hanging blanket billow up and "catch" the bullets and wait on your next shot until the blanket hung straight down again, it worked fine. Anyone tried this???

I imagine keys to the success of this (if it's true) would be: Low velocity, large diameter, nose shape that doesn't enhance "cutting" ability of the bullet.

Is that the same GI ball that will "knock a man off his feet, no matter where he's hit"?

The same GI ball with "uncontrolable recoil"?

The same GI ball with "accuracy so bad you can't hit anything past 15 ft." ?

...hmmm...sounds like another Old Gunny's Tale to me.

Jerry

MtGun44
12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think you'd want to stand behind one of those wool blankets. [smilie=1:
I can't imagine this working with 10 wool blankets.

Bill

hydraulic
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
When I was about 14 I read somewhere that a bullet couldn't penetrate a pure silk handkerchief - it would just push the cloth out of the way. I took Mom's new silk scarf out to the clothesline and shot a hole through it with my .22. Didn't tell Mom.

44man
12-06-2007, 09:22 AM
None of you have thought about how crusty the blanket got after some GI slept in it for a while! [smilie=w: :mrgreen:

Ricochet
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, I did think of that. Just didn't say so. :mrgreen:

kellyj00
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
how many layers of kevlar in a vest???
I hope you're a religious man because you're going to have one *holey* blanket when you're done.

Dale53
12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, just like some "know it all" in Insurance Claims School stated that the .45 Colt wouldn't go through a tin can. I suggested that he not try to hide behind a tin can if I was shooting at him with a .45 Colt. Sheesh!! When I challenged his statement, he then changed and said it was a black powder .45 Colt (900-1000 fps with a 260 bullet). I finally told him to "go sit in a corner"...

Dale53

Gussy
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Once had a guy tell me a couple of layers of hanging carpet would stop an arrow. Damn good thing I also put a couple layers of 3/4" plywood behind the carpet!!!!!

Should have asked him if he owned a bow over 20lb pull I guess.
Gus

MakeMineA10mm
12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
:mrgreen:

I agree with y'all, but I'm willing to try it out... I happen to know where there are two army-issue heavy-weight wool blankets.

Another thing about the myth is that they didn't say what range or how many layers. By implication, I would say, two layers - throw the blanket over the line, hence a front and back half would be hanging next to each other.

I think I'll try this with my Lyman 452374 ball duplication load. Also, the myth was about the military, so I'll use my WWII issue Ithica 1911A1. I'll take some WWII issue steel-cased ball along (with copper-jacketed 230gr RN), just in case the lead zips right through...

What do y'all think would be right for the range? 25 yds.? 100 ft.? 50 ft.?

To expand on the theory, I'll load up some 122gr RN (Lyman 358242) in 38 Spl. to about 750fps, to see if it translates to different calibers.

Scrounger
12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
:mrgreen:

I agree with y'all, but I'm willing to try it out... I happen to know where there are two army-issue heavy-weight wool blankets.

Another thing about the myth is that they didn't say what range or how many layers. By implication, I would say, two layers - throw the blanket over the line, hence a front and back half would be hanging next to each other.

I think I'll try this with my Lyman 452374 ball duplication load. Also, the myth was about the military, so I'll use my WWII issue Ithica 1911A1. I'll take some WWII issue steel-cased ball along (with copper-jacketed 230gr RN), just in case the lead zips right through...

What do y'all think would be right for the range? 25 yds.? 100 ft.? 50 ft.?

To expand on the theory, I'll load up some 122gr RN (Lyman 358242) in 38 Spl. to about 750fps, to see if it translates to different calibers.

I think you really got something there... Maybe you can sell the idea to the Army that all they got to do is make coats of two blanket thicknesses for their troops to stop bullets. They can save a fortune on all that body armor they been buying...:kidding:

bearcove
12-06-2007, 11:35 PM
As much money you guys spend chasing WWs you could buy a sheet of 1/4 inch steel plate and some angle iron to hang it at close to a 45 degree angle. If you have a pistol load that will penetrate that then you might start to concider what you intend to shoot. Or use 3/8 inch like me! Ha!

Full penetration is the only goal, more is just noise!:Fire:

JIMinPHX
12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I found this interesting -

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/projects/mboard/showthread.php?t=1885&highlight=bullet+trap

I’ll add to it that if you shoot a .308 with standard jacketed ball ammo at a piece of 3/4" 1018 cold roll steel at a 45 angle, that it will take a chunk out of the 1018 plate about 1/2" deep. The resulting shrapnel will then cut into the phone book below the plate to the letter T in the yellow pages. It’s like someone took a knife to the phone book. The cut into the phone book was along the entire width of the plate.

lathesmith
12-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, just like some "know it all" in Insurance Claims School stated that the .45 Colt wouldn't go through a tin can.

Is this why Wyatt Earp lived so long--those idiot bad guys kept shooting at his tin star badge with "weak" 45 Colt loads, and they just bounced off? And then he would club them to death with his trusty Buntline Special? Well, I'm sure glad we got that cleared up! Nothing like dispelling some of those silly myths surrounding the (not so Wild) West!
lathesmith

TurboLover
12-08-2007, 05:31 AM
one bullet trap set up Ive used extensively is a simple large box stuffed with old wet clothing. This arrangement has stopped everything Ive fired at it to include 12 gauge slugs, full house 44 both cast and jacketed and full house 30 - 06 FMJs.
its pretty close to a freebie solution to lead reclamation and seems to hold up to thousands of rounds before it needs to be repacked:coffee:

JIMinPHX
12-08-2007, 11:36 AM
These guys seem to get good results from the bucket-o-sand method -

http://www.subguns.com/boards/semimsgarchive.cgi?noframes;read=98824

BruceB
12-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Gents;

The concept of blankets stopping bullets is that EACH LAYER of the material has to be free to react to the bullet impact. It's the energy dissipated in moving the material that slows down the bullet.

Therefore, if trying the blanket method, I'd hang it so that there is a gap of at least a foot between layers. This allows free movement of the material as it reacts to the impact. By the same token, I'd use the mud-flap material by hanging it in a box with at least six inches (or more) of space between the layers, and with some provision in the hanging method to allow the layer to swing freely, which again allows maximum absorption of the bullet's kinetic energy. This also will reduce the number of thicknesses needed to stop the bullet.

I'm tempted to try a trap with free-hanging sheets of the super-tough soft rubber I've been using in the softpoint test-box. I'll see if I can locate enough of the stuff for the job.

JIMinPHX
12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's a less expensive version of the 45 degree plate option -

www.reloadammo.com/backstop.htm

sav300
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Makeminea10mm,
Can you wet the blanket and try it wet,after you have done your tests.
Good luck and have fun.
Lionel

MakeMineA10mm
12-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Sav300, if the dry blankets don't stop the bullets, yes, I'll try wet. However, I think if this works, the concept will work better with dry blankets. The wet wool will hang downward so hard that it will detract from the "catching" flexibility of the blanket billowing to "catch" the bullet. Wetness holding it taught will make it easier for the bullet to go right through, to my way of thinking...

Scrounger
12-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Wrong. Wet will be more effective. The water fills the spaces between the fibers and also adds weight to absorb the bullets energy.

tomf52
12-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Shredded automobile tires (aka rubber garden mulch, available at most lawn and garden shops) seems to be the new high tech bullet stop material. Do a Google on it (rubber landscape mulch) and you will find the military amongst others has their ranges made from it now. A surprisingly shallow depth of it stops the hottest of bullets almost without deforming them. I'm thinking of something like a 3/16 steel wall cubicle 2 ft square filled with this might make a nice home use backstop. Even possibly for basement use with proper ventilation.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I saw this cowboy fellow coming up the street once wearing a horse blanket . The bad guys were shooting and hitting. Clint kept coming and......BvT

JIMinPHX
12-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Wrong. Wet will be more effective. The water fills the spaces between the fibers and also adds weight to absorb the bullets energy.

What makes you seem so sure about that? I've seen that metal screening cuts (or tears) more easily once the spaces between the wires is filled with a bonding material, like rubber. The stabilization of the web concentrates the cutting force on a smaller area & makes it cut much more easily. That is why nobody has been able to develop a convertible top for an automobile that is knife proof. I'd have to wait & see the results of side by side tests before making a definitive statement about the results of wet & dry backstops.

redgum
12-09-2007, 07:49 PM
For handgun boolits, I have used an old jumper (pullover, sweater) sewn across the bottom, stuffed with rags via the neck and suspended by the sleeves. Allow it to swing freely for best impact absorbtion. A light sheet of steel or even some hardwood boards on a 45 deg. angle will stop anything that makes it through. Effective yet CHEAP & SIMPLE...http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/santa1.gif

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/Bulletcatcher.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/Bulletcatcher2.jpg

LarryM
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
I think I'll stick with the 25 foot tall hill at the bottom of my yard. It has absorbed everything from BB guns to .300 Weatherby Magnum with nary a pass through for its approximatly 250 foot depth. Every other year or so I take a shovel and dig out as much lead as I can find and dress up the face a bit.

The Double D
12-10-2007, 12:33 AM

I know that old Gunny. I did what he told me and punched holes in my blanket with wax and plastic bullets fired with primers.

MakeMineA10mm
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
hehehe.. Well, we may have an answer here folks.

Double D, could you give us a couple more details, like the quality/thickness of the wool blanket and the range at which you were shooting?

The old Gunny said it HAD to be a THICK old-style govt-issue blanket (the ones that are an inch thick or so), and while I don't remember him mentioning the distance, assuming it's Bullseye practice, I'm betting it was 25 yards or 50 ft.

BAGTIC
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I think "old Marine Gunny Sgt." was having a laugh at a younguns' expense.