PDA

View Full Version : bang bang. cartridge hard to insert. tumbling media in my cylinders? ***?!

taiden
01-14-2014, 07:04 PM
I just added a Frankford Arsenal vibe tumbler to my reloading workflow. It came with some kind of media, I believe it's corn. I use the tumble separator, and it passes a quick visual inspection.

Today I shot my first 38spl reloads in my 686. I noticed that after two cylinders worth, the next cartridges would not seat fully without a slight push.

I soon noticed that there was corn media inside my cylinders... woops!

Do you guys have a way to get all the very last bits out before reloading?

gefiltephish
01-14-2014, 07:15 PM
A couple of suggestions in no particular order: Tumble in the separator longer...spend more time inspecting. Blow 'em out with an airgun. Use the SS pins approach. Take up needle point instead.

Taylor
01-14-2014, 07:20 PM
I don't know about the needle point,but I always use air to blow out the brass.To me,and I have always done it that way,just an extra safety measure.Take your time,they ain't going anywhere.

Larry Gibson
01-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Haven't used corn or walnut media in a long time; I use cheap rice and Frankford Arsenal polish. After separating the media I put the cases back in the vibrator for 2-3 minutes.....that rattles what's left out.

Larry Gibson

bhn22
01-14-2014, 07:42 PM
A couple of suggestions in no particular order: Tumble in the separator longer...spend more time inspecting. Blow 'em out with an airgun. Use the SS pins approach. Take up needle point instead.

Pretty much.

Jammersix
01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
There is no manual that suggests a "quick" visual inspection. The problem is not with the equipment or the components.

Knitting might be easier than needlepoint. Reloading is not for everyone.

RP
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I think maybe a inspection on powder levels while your loading if you still had media in the case it should have shown. Well I say that mainly since you found it in the firearm so that's has to be a lot of media. Also when you decrease case capacity by having media in the case you may have a pressure spike.

01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Safety above all else. Component inspection is but one aspect of reloading safety. Slow down. Inspect each case.

My method:
Step 1. I set each case against the rim of the tumbler bowl and hold it there until all the media has been emptied from the case.
Step 2. After depriming and cleaning the primer pocket, I inspect each case and flash hole to be sure they are free of any debris.
Total time per case: Two seconds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-14-2014, 08:21 PM
I just added a Frankford Arsenal vibe tumbler to my reloading workflow. It came with some kind of media, I believe it's corn. I use the tumble separator, and it passes a quick visual inspection.

Today I shot my first 38spl reloads in my 686. I noticed that after two cylinders worth, the next cartridges would not seat fully without a slight push.

I soon noticed that there was corn media inside my cylinders... woops!

Do you guys have a way to get all the very last bits out before reloading?
Are you sure ?
Are you telling us the whole story?

Why would corncob media make chambering a cartridge difficult ?

The symptoms you describe are more reminiscent of shooting some 38 spl low power loads (typically dirty, depending on the powder), then trying to chamber some 357mag loads. The fouling from the 38 attaches to the exposed chamber where the 357 would need to enter, making it difficult to insert the cartridge.

JWFilips
01-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Safety above all else. Component inspection is but one aspect of reloading safety. Slow down. Inspect each case.

My method:
Step 1. I set each case against the rim of the tumbler bowl and hold it there until all the media has been emptied from the case.
Step 2. After depriming and cleaning the primer pocket, I inspect each case and flash hole to be sure they are free of any debris.
Total time per case: Two seconds.

I pretty much do the same but I rather stay with walnut hulls since it is heavier and comes out of the cases easier. After step one above I will throw all the brass onto one of my wife's old fuzzy sweaters I found in the rag bag. I fold it over and pinch it tight and do a couple of good shakes this helps with any dust left then go on to the above step 2

Cherokee
01-14-2014, 08:37 PM
I run the cases in the separator for a number of times. Will occasionally see a piece left in a case and I brush it out. Always check the primer flash hole. Some time the case may be wet inside, or a spider web or like in the case that will capture the media. You always need to look.

wv109323
01-14-2014, 08:46 PM
You do not mention what type of press you are using but I would get a loading block and put 50 rounds in it and visually inspect them for tumbling compound before I loaded them.Or I keep a part of the bottom of the separator clean. I rotate the brass till I see no more tumbling compound hitting the clean area.

leeggen
01-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Something doesn't sound right to me, wouldn't the media burn up or atleast follow the powder out of the cylinder? I know some powder will build up when shooting 38's in a 357, but to be able to tell the media from the powder in that small area just doesn't ring right. That is an awful lot of build up. just my powder brain thinking.
CD

taiden
01-14-2014, 09:16 PM
leeggen, I thought it would burn up, too.

I checked all my pockets before reloading, some were stuffed. I used my depriming die to punch out the media and checked again after. I didn't see anything.

I wonder if some was stuck in that space between the case body and the rim and got into one of the cylinders.

Also, I think I had so much media in the bucket that the separator was scooping some up on each turn.

Thanks all for the suggestions on knitting but I already knit. Hats make fantastic gifts.

jimb16
01-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Make sure you don't have any moisture in the cases when you tumble them in corncob. It will cause the ground cob to cake inside the cases.

Jammersix
01-14-2014, 10:57 PM
So do socks. But according to SWMBO, they're harder to do. A guy needs a hat, maybe two. But I'll take more socks every time.

I think everyone is telling you to use more care in your inspections. Reloading is an exercise in patience and care. A lot of us don't let anyone else into the room, answer the phone, the door or even listen to music with lyrics when we reload, because Bad Things happen if appropriate care isn't taken in every step.

taiden
01-15-2014, 12:01 AM
I think everyone is telling you to use more care in your inspections. Reloading is an exercise in patience and care. A lot of us don't let anyone else into the room, answer the phone, the door or even listen to music with lyrics when we reload, because Bad Things happen if appropriate care isn't taken in every step.

That's a very valid point. Thank you.

dverna
01-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Well, I disagree with most of the "experts". There is no way I am inspecting every .38 case for media or blow it out with air. I load .38's on a Dillon 1050 so time is important to me. BTW, do you think commercial reloaders blow out every case and have a good look inside before loading??

You used too much polish in your tumbler or the cases were wet. Dry media is not going to stick in a .38 case. If you have a 5 station (or more) press get a powder check die. It will tell you if you have junk in the case.

You have a choice, figure out what you screwed up to cause media to get packed into the cases (what made them wet) and stop doing it, or do nothing and follow the "expert" advice and visually inspect every case. If the later, I hope you do not shoot very much.

BTW, the only "inspection" I do on pistol brass is to run a handful back and forth between my cupped hands as I take the cases out of the media separator. This helps dislodge a bit of media but I primarily do it to detect a case split. A split case will make a "tinkle" noise. A couple of granules of media are not going to blow up your gun anyway. There is a difference between being anal and safe.

I AM anal when loading rifle ammo. But accuracy standards and pressures are totally different.

Don Verna

11B-101ABN
01-15-2014, 01:41 AM
As most of the replies have said, your media is too moist. Try this: Put your tumbler on a towel, and fill with clean dry media. Turn the unit on and leave run for a half hour or so WITHOUT the lid. Whatever media comes out and overflows is excess and was too much to begin with. Now we have found the level, make a note of it for future reference, add 1 tablespoon of polish, and 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, that's all the liquids you need. Do NOT add your brass YET. You may add a couple clothes dryer sheets cut up into 1 inch strips. Run the tumbler for a half hour to get the liquids mixed up well THEN add brass and run for a few hours more. I often run mine overnight. When I dump it into the rotary separator, I turn it for 100 turns. Your clogging should stop. If you wash brass before tumbling, make sure it is TOTALLY dry before you tumble.

leadman
01-15-2014, 02:15 AM
Right now here in Phoenix even the corn cob with polish on it is sticking to everything! I missed the humidity reading on the news tonight but it must be single digits. I had to wet some brass today with water to get the media off it. I unwrapped an a/c filter tonight and it was clinging to everything!
I have a habit of looking in every case because I pick up alot of my brass that others leave behind. Not hard or time consuming and is worthwhile as I have found debris in many cases. Cases should be inspected for cracks, bulges, etc.
As mentioned if you do not run your tumbler for awhile after adding the polish there will be clumps of media and polish in it.

Jammersix
01-15-2014, 03:31 AM
I'd listen to the guy without hands.

dudel
01-15-2014, 07:31 AM
How does media get past your sizing die? Sizing die would wipe any media off the case walls. Media inside the case wouldn't affect chambering.

I suspect you're contaminating it somewhere else in your process. Seems like a static problem to me.

chsparkman
01-15-2014, 08:02 AM
The symptoms you describe are more reminiscent of shooting some 38 spl low power loads (typically dirty, depending on the powder), then trying to chamber some 357mag loads. The fouling from the 38 attaches to the exposed chamber where the 357 would need to enter, making it difficult to insert the cartridge.

This is what I was thinking...

w5pv
01-15-2014, 08:14 AM
I hand inspect every round I load,don't make too much sense to me not to.Stuck media in flash holes,cracks in the brass and bulges.All need attention.

Sasquatch-1
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
First off, the only time I have had rounds that would not seat in the chambers (35+ years of reloading) was from over crimping and they were .38s. It was either that or I forgot to resize them[smilie=1:.

Second, I have a small bucket, about 1/2 gallon, and a child's sand sieve that fits over the bucket. When I am done vibrating I put the sieve over the bolt on the tumbler and sift out as much media as possible. I then dump the brass in the bucket and shake vigorously, upside down over a 5 gallon bucket. This seems to dislodge all media from the brass.

I have found media in the rim area, but usually a twist in the shell holder will dislodge this.

h8dirt
01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
A small amount of tumbling media left INSIDE a case that is loaded and fired with normal loads will not leave corn cob media in the chambers and make the NEXT loaded bullet case difficult to chamber. What you are seeing in the chambers is more likely lube/powder residue. If your tumbling media is "dusty", and if you have a sticky case lube residue on the outside of the cases, that could be an issue -- especially with tight tolerance chambers. A quick wipe of a few with a clean cloth or paper towel should reveal if that condition is present. If so, change media and/or case lube.