PDA

View Full Version : New here. Thought I'd say howdy!

aviator41
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Hi all.

I'm a relative newb to THIS forum, but have been a member of several other gun-related forums for some time. I'm just now dipping my foot into the bullet casting arena as I ordered a 20lb bottom pour lee pot, a 6 cavity 45acp lee mold, handles, and the sizing die to load plinking rounds for my 1911.

I have a good feeling about casting boolits, and see myself with the full-out swaging setup eventually.

Love the idea of casting for my pistols and muzzleloaders, but have lots of questions in regards to casting and safely shooting 30 cal rounds.

woody1
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi all.

Love the idea of casting for my pistols and muzzleloaders, but have lots of questions in regards to casting and safely shooting 30 cal rounds.

Welcome and ask away. There's lots of knowledge here. Oh, yeah, and read all the stickies. After you do, you prob'ly won't have so many questions. Regards, Woody

Calamity Jake
01-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Glad to see you made it over aviator, like woody says read the stickies there's lots of good info there, and
ask away if there is something you don't understand.

If your close to OKC maybe we can get together and I can help you out as
I have been casting boolits for over 30 years.

searcher4851
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Welcome aboard. There's more good information included in the numerous stickies here than there is in a whole pile of books. There is also a great bunch of folks here that have probably run across any problem that you may come up with.

koehn,jim
01-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard there is a lot of good info in the stickies.

TJF1
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Welcome

pworley1
01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Welcome,
Be sure to allow plenty of room for all the molds, lube presses, lube dies, lubes, cast bullets, etc. It will take more room than you think.

firefly1957
01-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information here a couple warning about the pit are in order.
The pit will open up to you when you get 30 posts and 30 days here or something like that so here are the warnings now so you can not say you were not warned. A) if you need blood pressure medicine take it before opening politics and humor B) ABSOLUTELY no eating or drinking in humor and off topic , we do not clean screens and keyboards!

wv109323
01-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Welcome Aboard. I started casting for the .45 ACP also. It is a very generous caliber to cast for and get good results. Cast Rifle bullets is a little more involved. Sizing , Lubricant, Gas Checks and Lead Alloy are much more specific in the rifles.

Dean D.
01-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Welcome aboard, lots of good advice given already. I'll give a big +1 to reading the stickies.

OBIII
01-15-2014, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Don't worry about the stickies, nobody reads them anyway. :kidding:
Having already talked with you in chat, it's good to see that you went straight to the important things first. A wealth of knowledge abounds here, and it's all yours for the simple act of reading or asking. See ya in chat again.

OB

Echo
01-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Welcome, A41. It's the best forum on the web - no flames, polite, if tongue in cheek occasionally, and herein resides the sum total of all knowledge re the Silver Stream, and the great Galena.

Thin Man
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Welcome. Glad to have you in the asylum, where we all suffer from the addiction to casting. You have found the absolutely best site for this activity and could spend countless hours pouring over the threads and posts, even more trying to re-locate a single entry from....now just which thread was that in......or who was it that wrote it.....er...... Please, don't ask me how I know about that previous statement. As another suggestion, visit your local gun shops that sell reloading and/or casting supplies, also ranges watching for reloaders who may be casters. Work to locate one or more experienced casters in your area. Share questions, observations, learning time together, networking, etc. You may be surprised at the numbers of casters out there as most are willing to share their knowledge with others. Congratulations for finding us!

Thin Man

beezapilot
01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Welcome aboard. I'd been casting boolits for 30 years, and learned more since joining this forum than in all that time.