PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Heard From Keith (theperfessor) Lately?

nicholst55
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
He was in hospital, pondering whether or not to have his left foot amputated right before Christmas. If he's posted an update I must have missed it.

Anybody heard anything? I sure hope he's doing okay, whatever decision he made.

DRNurse1
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I think he posted on his thread about not taking orders until things settle out... but this is the first I have heard about what needed settling.

Prayers offered up for a real Straight Shooter and a real helpful fellow.

w5pv
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Prayers sent for Keith

bhn22
01-13-2014, 05:28 PM
He posted a couple of days ago.

theperfessor
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm still around, but since I have to do almost all online stuff on my iPad and/or iPhone I don't kick in as much. Going to see vascular surgeon tomorrow for assessment of wounds on left foot. I will get a progress report then. No decision made yet on whether to keep on doing as we are now (and hope everything heals) or amputate foot and get prosthesis of some sort. I do not plan on making a hasty decision but I have set a date in my mind when I will consider that option.

You can't imagine how frustrated I am with a long incapacitation. I get wonderful care from my wife for meals and changing bandages and such, waited on hand and foot as it were. The home care nurses treat me well also and give great medical care. I lay around all day watching TV and sipping iced tea and coffee, nothing to do but relax .... AND I HATE IT. I would much rather be on my feet running my lathe or mill. In other words, working. Must be something wrong with us old guys.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Keith, unless the infection is in the bone tell him to cut out the infection and let you heal. At least that is what I would do in that situation. I'm diabetic to, but not as bad as you are. An infection that won't heal will eventually get into the bone and then amputation above the infection is the only successful outcome. Until then an infection that will not heal needs to be cut out.

gray wolf
01-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Thank you for jumping in Keith, glad to hear from you. Still praying for your health and a good recovery for you.
I can understand not being able to do things, some people would love to do nothing, but if your a get up and get it done kind of guy it's very difficult to be inactive.
Even watching other people do thing does not fill the bill ( humor )

Sam

smoked turkey
01-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Keith what a gripping story about your foot. I am saddened by that. I am praying that as Wayne said that they can deal with the infection and you don't have to face making that decision. I always look forward to your thoughtful and informative posts.
Stan

John Allen
01-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Keith, I hope you get better soon. Good luck.

white eagle
01-13-2014, 11:26 PM
out of the blue I was thinking about the Prof.just the other day
was using one of his wonderful devices in my quest for the perfect boolit load
stay strong and prayers sent to you from my house

Slow Elk 45/70
01-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Prayers for your healing up, I hope all ends well for you Keith...Jim

429421Cowboy
01-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Please keep us updated, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, I am sorry I have been gone awhile and did not know about things taking a different turn about your foot, I remember talking about when it first was bothering you and you were trying to get to the bottom of it. Keep a positive turn, attitude is where these battles are won. Take care.
Cowboy.

nicholst55
01-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Glad to hear from you, Keith! I don't envy you the position you're in, that's for certain. I'll remember you in my prayers, and hope that whatever your decision, things turn out well.

fivegunner
01-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Get well! I hope the best for you , your in my prayers.

Ajax
01-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Kieth i will pray for your Dr's to have the knowledge and guidance by the lord to heal you. I will also pray for the lord to give you peace and comfort in you decisions ahead.

Andy

gbrown
01-14-2014, 08:59 PM
My prayers are up for you, bud. I hope and pray all goes well for you. Keep the faith and stay strong. I know it's frustrating for you, but hang in there. Find some good reading material or some activity to keep you distracted from all the frustration.

theperfessor
01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Saw surgeon today. Comments generally positive, some healing taking place, just not as fast as we all would like. But as long as I'm healing I'm going to give that route the chance and try to keep foot intact.

They took off wound vac unit so I am no longer fastened to a tube and a vacuum pump.

I weighed myself while at doctor's office. Despite lack of exercise/activity and eating like a horse I still haven't gained any weight. They want me to eat more protein. I'll be getting steaks at carry out at one of the local steak and potato joints at least twice a week for a while.... Doctor's orders!

Doctor said it was OK to work at desk as long as I prop up foot to waist-to-heart level while I use my computer. Wife is going to help me this week to rearrange office and set up mobile foot/leg rest. That should take care of boredom issue. Ive been pretty much iThingy bound when surfing the net but now I get back to a real computer with CAD and spreadsheets and multiple web browsers and wowser it will be great.

Thanks to all for your concern expressed in so many ways. It is appreciated.

Murphy
01-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Keith,

Good to see you're somewhat on the mend. You've shared a lot of wisdom here on Castboolits over the years.

Steak twice a week? Where you find a Doc like that? You must be paying him well!

Murphy

GSM
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Good to hear from you, Perfessor.

"prop up foot to waist-to-heart level while I use my computer" Post pics, please. Think I'd tip over if I tried that in a regular chair.

Hope things keep looking up for you.

Miss your posts, by the way.

94Doug
01-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Great to hear from you! Hope all goes well. We of course are all thinking of you!!

Doug

Wayne Smith
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Agreed, as long as there is healing continuing go with it and encourage it. If the infection can be stopped stop it. Years ago, before antibiotics, surgery was the only option for an infection. As we are getting more into resistant microbes medicine will have to go back to that process. Many MD's don't accept this.

Catshooter
01-15-2014, 11:56 PM
That's great news Keith. Well, except for the having to eat steak! Poor boy. But, it's doc's orders, so what are ya gonna do?

:)

Cat

mold maker
01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear there is still improvement. Being diabetic is a PIA and if not controlled can cause all sorts of dangerous side effects. My mom lived over 40 years, on insulin. I've had it for over 16 years and probably 6-8 before diagnosis.
I wish I had a prescription for stake twice a week, but I sure wouldn't want your problem, as a cause for it.
The vac you had is cumbersome, but provides an environment for healing. Glad it did it's job.
Prayers sent for your speedy and full recovery.

David2011
01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Keith,

Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

David

ACrowe25
01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
I couldn't imagine laying around brother. speedy recovery to get you back on your feed where you belong, doing the art you do! Best