PDA

View Full Version : Alaska shipping question

sirgknight
01-13-2014, 12:29 AM
My nephew lives in Alaska and we have found an ammo box of primers and rifle ammo that he left behind because he was unable to take it with him. He would dearly love to have the primers and ammo since they are extremely difficult to find in the remote area where he lives. My son is hazmat certified for shipping reloading components. Is it possible to ship these items to Alaska?

starmac
01-13-2014, 02:35 AM
From my understanding it can't be shipped by air, since usps, ups, and fedx has no ground shipment to Ak, I have not found a way. If you do find a way PLEASE let us know.

From what I understand businesses can ship up, but unless it is large quantities it is cost prohibitive, and many of them will not even talk to you.
What part of Alaska is he in, if he lives in a fly in only area, ammo is fine, but even getting primers and powder home can be challenging if they are in your hand.

wlc
01-13-2014, 03:25 AM
What Starmac said. If he, or someone, is flying up from the lower 48 Alaska Air allows up to 50 pounds of ammo a checked baggage. Primers and powder are a big no-no on airlines. They can't go USPS either. UPS and FedX are out as well as they don't have "ground" to up here ( it may be sent as ground but winds up on a plane anyway) Most businesses ship stuff up via freight forwarders on the barge from WA state. Sometimes individuals will go in on a group buy and ship that way. Problem with small shipments is the freight and hazmat. Takes a large quantity to offset the associated costs. Freight is why our prices are about 20-30% higher on most stuff up here. As a friend told me when I moved up "Welcome to Alaska, the only place they charge freight on a haircut" :)

What part of the State does he live?

BruceB
01-13-2014, 05:25 AM
The airport terminal in Edmonton Alberta was undergoing MAJOR expansion some years ago.... foundation work, heavy construction, etc. We were waiting for a flight home to the Northwest Territories, when there was a big blast that shook the building.

"Jeez!" says I to myself...."I hope there was nothing in that suitcase to identify me!"

I had packed about ten pounds of assorted smokeless powder in my bag.... yes, I KNEW that the stuff doesn't explode, but that was still my immediate reaction.

sirgknight
01-13-2014, 12:10 PM
My nephew lives in Anchorage.

wlc
01-13-2014, 04:16 PM
He's just gonna have to keep making the rounds of the different gunshops like everyone else. Sportsmans Warehouse probably turns over more stock than the rest as they are the biggest in town, but there are a bunch of gunshops in ANC. Great Northern Guns on Tudor, Mt View Sports on Old Seward, Gun Traders on Muldoon are a couple I try to make it to when I go down there. Patience and persistence will pay off sooner or later. I have been noticing that supplies are slowly trickling back in and hopefully it will start getting back to normal stocking levels before much loner.

sirgknight
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Is it illegal to ship ammo to Alaska also?

wlc
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
No, not illegal, just somewhat difficult and expensive. The same rules go for ammo as for the powder and primers. IF we had actual UPS or FEDX GROUND shipping to here then it would be a different story. So short answer, you can't stick it in a flat rate and ship it, nor take it to the UPS store or to FEDX and get it up here... All loaded ammo, powder and primers all come up on the barge from WA state as far as I know. Next time someone flies up to visit they can bring the AMMO back up in their checked luggage (depending on airline, call to verify with your airline of choice). That's the best I can tell you.

What caliber is this? Should be some around somewhere.

If you don't mind me asking what does your nephew do up here? Military?

starmac
01-14-2014, 06:02 AM
If someone flys up they can bring the ammo in checked baggage, but I don't think you can bring the primers at all. If someone drives up, they can bring either with no problem. I had a friend yesterdat that accidently had a box of 223 in the toe of his boot in his carryon, big no no that caused him to miss his flight. lol

bowenrd
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
No, not illegal, just somewhat difficult and expensive. The same rules go for ammo as for the powder and primers. IF we had actual UPS or FEDX GROUND shipping to here then it would be a different story. So short answer, you can't stick it in a flat rate and ship it, nor take it to the UPS store or to FEDX and get it up here... All loaded ammo, powder and primers all come up on the barge from WA state as far as I know. Next time someone flies up to visit they can bring the AMMO back up in their checked luggage (depending on airline, call to verify with your airline of choice). That's the best I can tell you.

What caliber is this? Should be some around somewhere.

If you don't mind me asking what does your nephew do up here? Military?

Not true.

wlc
01-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Not true.

Care to enlighten us Alaskans? I'm all ears if you know a way to ship ammo up here.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Got enough cases to go ahead and prime up? I would think once the cases are primed, they are then ammo and would fall into the 50 lb rule, but you probably want to double check that!

AlaskanGuy
01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Please enlighten us ..... If you know something all of us alaskans are not aware of, bowenrd, please do tell....

sirgknight
01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
the ammo is Fed .308 interlock, Fed .338 win mag nosler petition, Rem .338 win mag 225 gr PSP and Win 44 mag 250 gr PTHP. total of seven boxes.

wlc
01-14-2014, 08:03 PM
the ammo is Fed .308 interlock, Fed .338 win mag nosler petition, Rem .338 win mag 225 gr PSP and Win 44 mag 250 gr PTHP. total of seven boxes.

He should be able to replace that ammo locally. Might take some patience and looking and doing it one box at a time. Best thing for him is if/when he comes back to visit, or someone comes up to visit is for it to go in checked baggage on the plane assuming the selected airline allows it. I've got two or three cases of shotshells and 5-10 bricks of 22 ammo sitting at my parents house in dads shop in GA that I couldn't get up here when we moved. I could use it, but haven't bothered with it on the several trips we've made back to visit. It'll be there whenever I need it I guess.