PDA

View Full Version : Bator mold test

donovansn585
01-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Just tested my new bator mold seems to work well, they came out .223 I think ther suppose to be .225 but I'm waiting on my new lyman ladle to try pressure pouring them.

brotherdarrell
01-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I cast a couple hundred today with a bottom pour. They dropped just a hair over .225" with a nose of .219". My alloy was roughly 50/50 pure/ww with approx. 1.5% tin and water dropped. Alloy temp was just under 800 degrees.

Darrell

donovansn585
01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
So I been googling some load dat for ar-15 bat or load data didn't find much positive info, I'm a little worried now it's not going to work in my ar but if it doesn't I think I'll add a spire point

dverna
01-12-2014, 10:23 PM
First, measure with a micrometer if you used a caliper. Micrometers are more accurate. If they .223 you are in trouble - so not even try shooting them.

Second, use an alloy with more Sb/Sn to get a larger cast bullet if you believe a larger bullet will be better. If bullets are still undersized, look at the Powder Coat thread. That should get you to .225/6

Third, how to you define "work in my AR"?

Don Verna

donovansn585
01-13-2014, 06:23 AM
I guess what I mean by work in my ar is cycle and feed properly

bangerjim
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
If you have the Lyman CB manual (mandatory for casting/loading!) you would see it specifically sez under the 223 Remington load section that "these cast bullets are NOT recommended for gas operated rifles such as the AR15 and will not function properly. They are recommended for bolt and single action rifles". The published load data does not create enough port pressure to operate your gun.

I am sure there are some on here who have played around with the load data and have arrived at SAFE loads for the AR15, but there is very little, if any, documented in-print published data out there.

If anyone has it, please share with us!!!! :coffeecom

The 225646 is similar to the Lee shape.

I bought mine knowing that and cast ONLY for bolt single action arms. I use FMJ's for REAL loads in the 223 caliber.

Mine drop at 224-225....depending on alloy.

Powder coating brings in a whole different aspect to our habit! I ES-PC everything. Some on here have experimented around and I believe have loaded cast PC'd at rifle jacketed loads and velocities/pressures. I have not and can offer no recommendations. Mabe they can share if for AR15's.

banger

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
So I been googling some load dat for ar-15 bat or load data didn't find much positive info, I'm a little worried now it's not going to work in my ar but if it doesn't I think I'll add a spire point

lots of data for cast boolits in the 50 to 60 gr range for AR...ya just need the right search instructions
https://www.google.com/search?q=castboolits+AR+223+site:castboolits.gunlo ads.com&espv=210&es_sm=122

search for info with a slower powder like IMR 4895
https://www.google.com/search?q=castboolits+AR+223+site:castboolits.gunlo ads.com&espv=210&es_sm=122#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=castboolits+AR+223+IMR+4895+site%3Acastboolits.g unloads.com