PDA

View Full Version : da C&B revolver?

troy_mclure
01-12-2014, 06:00 PM
does anybody make a double action cap and ball revolver?

or would it be possible to convert a modern da revolver(in say .45 colt) into can and ball?

Lever-man
01-12-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm not aware of any one making a double action cap and ball revolver, but I do load .45 colt cartridges with .454 RB over 4 grains of Bullseye. If you want the smoke you could load it with black powder.

Cerberus
01-12-2014, 07:12 PM
There is a double action C&B revolver available from Dixie Gun Works. It's a replica of the Starr revolver.

Mike 56
01-13-2014, 01:03 AM
The Starr double action revolver has the rear sight on the hammer like a Colt so wen you shoot double action you have no sights.:???:

StrawHat
01-13-2014, 08:31 AM
I believe revolvers are converted to C&B in Europe for use on the target range. Would really be to hard to do, loading would be a bit harder, probably off the revolver.

Bulldogger
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Just remember if you convert that ATF and other LEO entities still consider it a firearm, and not a BP/Antique, so treat it the same as a smokeless firearm. I mean this in case you might be tempted to carry it as some do to get around no-firearms laws. Those laws are the reason NAA make a BP version of the .22Mag I carry, the BP gun is not a firearm by most laws and can be carried in places that outlaw or otherwise restrict conventional carry.
It's like converting a rifle to a pistol, once a rifle always a rifle. etc. Not intending to fan any flames or ignite a discussion, just offering my interpretation of some laws it'd be easy to get on the wrong side of going down the smokeless-to-BP pistol conversion route.
Bulldogger

GARD72977
01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
The Starr double action revolver has the rear sight on the hammer like a Colt so wen you shoot double action you have no sights.:???:

You have to aim quick!!!

Mike 56
01-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I here you old school pray spray.

Omnivore
01-14-2014, 01:16 AM
I don't know about any being made now, but there were a number of double actions made during the period of the Civil War, both in percussion and cartridge form. The Kerr revolver was an American percussion DA as was the Pettingill Army Model revolver which was also a "hammerless" design. Both had sighting channels in the top of the frame as a rear sight.

Must take a picture of one to your gunsmith and have him whip one up ;)

Oh; see "Guns of the American West" by Dennis Adler. Lots of excellent photos and history, and much less in the way of technical information.