PDA

View Full Version : Pics of different type metals

hammerhead357
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I hope this will work, there have been some post from people wondering what kind of type metal they have. I went thru what I have and will try to post pictures with what little I know about them.
The first 5 are of different sizes of foundry type the one huge one with the others that is 1/3 is probably a thick piece of lino with the print stuck on some how. If you can look closely at it you can see the circlular saw marks. So it really isn't foundry type.
I posted the (&) to show the groove on one side of it. You can also see the grooves on the type that is standing on end.
Well I will post this and see if it works like I hope it will....Wes

hammerhead357
12-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Well the first one went Ok so will try these. These are called Elrod strips and were used as spacers to the best of my knowledge. They were cast of linotype and were really pulled out of the casting pot a small amount and allowed to cool then pulled again. If you look at the 2nd and 3rd pictures you can see the marks where the machine started and stopped during the pulling operation.
In pictures 4 and 5 this is just a large piece of strip metal with a logo stuck on with some sort of tape or adhesive.
Some print shops had an Elrod machine and others just bought the strips which came wrapped in paper and in 25 lb. stacks IIRC......Wes

454PB
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Here's a picture of a variety of mine that I've posted before. The long strips at the top are true linotype.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/MJSlinotype.jpg

Trez Hensley
12-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I have 4-500# of the little (1/8"-3/16") single letter stuff, like the ones in the above picture right below the linotype. Am I right to assume that this is foundry type?:confused:

hammerhead357
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Trez yes I would think that what you have is foundry type. IIRC the people in print shops used to call it hand set. It would have driven me daffy try to set that little bitty stuff by hand......Wes

GSM
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Hammerhead357:

Daffy indeed! Those guys had to be able to set the characters correctly - right to left and mirrored, probably while reading from a normal text.

hammerhead357
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
454PB very nice picture and thanks for posting it, I was going to post some pics. of lino but just didn't get to it. I wish my pics. had turned out that well....Wes