PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hornet -bullets-powders-cases-dies-molds-guns-questions-experiences and advice

JSH
01-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Did I forget anything?
I have fooled with this little darling a few years ago in a tc but with flgc fodder.
I don't think it will ever be a complete replacement for the 22rf but I do think there will be a bit more interest in it as the rf mess continues.
I have done a search and there is a fair bit of info but it is pretty scattered. There also seems to be more folks tinkering with this than one would think.
I say little darling, that is code for no good ¥€!!$$:-o!!
I picked up a new unfired old stock savage model 40 ss accutrigger. I have read some good bad and ugly on this and the model25.
I have not slugged the 40 yet as I am going to shoot a few rounds through it and smooth up the bore first. I am starting with a mix of bullets and WW cases. I have plenty of powder choices. Primers I had my best luck with small pistol on my first go round with this case. I have access to one saeco gc mold. I think it will shoot ok to fine as the 40 is a 14 twist so i am told.
I don't have any glass mounted yet. The long sleeved type action will need extra high rings to get any of my extra glass put on it, 42 mm objectives. I do have a straight 10x that I have not tried yet. I am thinking of a straight power somewhere between no less than 5x and no more than a 10x.
I am wanting to tinker with loads from 22 mag to standard hornet speeds. But am open to other options,ideas and suggestions.
I have not read much of anything good on a PB in this cartridge. Would really like to give them a try in a 22mag speed.
I know it won't, but I would like to keep this fairly pure to the 22 hornet and wildcats based on this as a parent case. Anyone with a stash of good links to this cartridge and cast would be a good first post to those like me that were doing a lot of searching.
Jeff

wistlepig1
01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
This may be helpful.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/22hornet.htm

dtknowles
01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
This may be helpful.

I read the article. I would question some of the practices. More than one way to skin a cat, I guess. A beginner probably would not go to far wrong following his advice.

Tim

7br
01-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Hey Jeff, that 10" tc barrel you sold me shoots really well with the rcbs 22-55 with Rem 71/2 primers and 4.3 gr of 231. Pretty easy for me to get 20+ in field pistol. Just thought you should know.

303Guy
01-13-2014, 01:08 AM
I have plenty of powder choices There's only one powder for the hornet - Lil'Gun. [smilie=1: Seriously, Lil'Gun in the hornet is pure magic. However, that's for jacketed's and produces magnum power from that tiny case. For cast I suppose the rules change although I do wonder whether Lil'Gun would produce higher velocities with accuracy using cast. I do think heavy boolits would be better but many folks have have very good results with lighter boolits. H4198 seems to be a good choice producing moderate velocities with mild pressure and a near full case. Lil'Gun produces a higher velocity with less pressure for a starting load. Then again, even the max listed load of Lil'Gun has a low pressure with heavier bullets - low enough to not damage a cast boolit in the bore. I see no reason why a cast 55gr boolit should not perform at 2600 fps or maybe even more using Lil'Gun.

I was loading jacketed's without neck sizing using a paper hand towel cup which was then soaked in molten waxy lube after bullet seating. I also successfully seated bullets by heating them in the waxy lube before placing into the case mouth. A card wad seated on top of the powder was required. This is how I plan on seating cast boolits. Those will be fatter than the j-words so will align in the neck better.

quilbilly
01-13-2014, 01:37 AM
My T/C carbine hornet likes my Lee bator boolit (53 gr.) which requires a gas check. I have always kept my velocities down to 22mag velocities to minimize pelt damage and used 50-55 gr. jacketed or cast since the carbine gives 1-1/4 inch groups at 100 yards when my old eyes are having a good day. The carbine prefers 4198 for jacketed and 2400 for cast.

303Guy
01-13-2014, 01:42 AM
The carbine prefers 4198 for jacketed and 2400 for cast.That's interesting. Is it because the velocities you load for requires a faster powder? 2400 is apparently an easier to light powder or is it that is burns well at lower pressure?

moon
01-13-2014, 07:40 AM
I feel #2400 powder has been the ideal one

dudel
01-13-2014, 10:00 AM
This may be helpful.

Great information there. The only thing I might add would be to use the Lee Collet dies (if you can). The seem to put less wear and tear on the scarce and fragile brass. It's a good idea to keep the brass separated by gun if you go this route. I shoot 22 Hornet in a T/C Contender (12" barrel) and a Handi. The powder that works well for me is good old 2400, with a small pistol primer (I've have not found any need to use magnum or rifle primers). I was lucky enough to get a Lee Bator mould from Midshouth for the brief instant in time that they were in stock. It's a real beast to cast, but shoots just fine.

And yes, .22 caliber pellets work just great to 25 yards with just a small pistol primer. Mouse fart noise. Didn't punch a hole in SWMBOs metal flower pot; but sure did leave some big dents in it! Just a matter of turning the pot around till I could bang out the dents.

A very fun round.

bobthenailer
01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
For maxinum velocity usually about 150 to 200 fps higher than any other powder and with less pressure with accuracy try Lil gun powder.
only neck size the brass to the depth of the bullet base when seated and no more .
sometimes a small pistol primer produces better accuracy than a small rifle primer !

Digital Dan
01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Based on aged recollections, about 2.5 grains of Bullseye and a 40-45 grain bullet will run neck and neck with a .22 RF and do so with accuracy. Pistol primers for that, otherwise I've never found benefit in using them for other loads. I do like Li'l Gun for top performance, again with SRP ignition.

dtknowles
01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Another Hornet thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225728-22-Hornet-Cast-bullets

Yes, LilGun seems to be magic in the Hornet if the loading tables are to be believed. I have loaded it with 37 gr V-max to over 3000 fps with good accuracy and again if you believe the loading books this is still with relatively low pressures.

Tim

dtknowles
01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
The following is from an older thread that I started, I have since fired all of these loads (about 80 rounds) and they were indeed accurate and I will be loading more in the same fashion but maybe doing a load ladder to see if increasing the charge will improve the already acceptable accuracy. I checked some ballistics tables and I think they are dropping to subsonic before they get to 100 yards, I ran them over the chrono and they are about 1500 at the muzzle.

It was a bear to size these little bullet without getting them uneven so I am glad the unsized bullets shoot well. I tried sizing them to .225 and had a lot of rejects even after jiggering with various top punches. To me it is more work to pan lube than to run them thru my Lyman Lubrisizer but I don't have a .227 die so I pan lube the unsized bullet. I might try tumble lubing some, so many options to follow but none are hard and all will require shooting, oh, I mean testing :) I also have some 55 gr. LRN with GC that I need to test again as when I shot them before they were not as accurate as I was hoping for but I am thinking now that I did not push them hard enough only to about 1650 fps and now I think I should get them over 2000 fps to get them to stabilize better and maybe the groups will shrink a little.

Tim

New Mold for .22 Hornet

Just got a new mold from NOE, 45 grain plain base flat point with two grease grooves. They are dropping from the mold at 44 grains and 0.227 inches using something like Hard Ball alloy, 3% tin, 7% antimony.

I made a dummy round using a unsized case and an unsized bullet and it chambered in my Ruger #3 so I loaded one with 2.5 grains of Green Dot and a small pistol primer. Test fired it in my shop. That was fine so I tried one with 3.0 grains and I was good too. I loaded up some test rounds for the range with two different seating depths.

If this is accurate without having to size the brass that should make the brass last forever.

Tim

JSH
01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
What bullet designs will cover from about 22rf to 22 mag? I would really like a plain base but not a big selection out there.
I am not looking to magumize this hornet but more on line with a medium speed with something about 50-60 grains is my thought. Reloader 7 for a long steady push?
Mark, I figured as much. I swore I wouldn't fool with another one. Never, say never.
Jeff

7br
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Mark, I figured as much. I swore I wouldn't fool with another one. Never, say never.
Jeff

Don Luellen never misses an opportunity to rub in the fact that I sold him a hornet barrel that he won a state championship with.

dtknowles
01-14-2014, 05:24 PM
What bullet designs will cover from about 22rf to 22 mag? I would really like a plain base but not a big selection out there.
I am not looking to magumize this hornet but more on line with a medium speed with something about 50-60 grains is my thought. Reloader 7 for a long steady push?
Jeff

I don't know why this is not the mold you need. I just got a new mold from NOE, 45 grain plain base flat point with two grease grooves.

Tim