PDA

View Full Version : New member here

Kenl
01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Hello to all. I am a new member here and just wanted to introduce myself and hope to meet some new friends here. I have been involved with making and shooting muzzleloaders since the 70's. I know I am getting old! I retired a couple of years ago and looking forward to spending more time with shooting my BP rifles. I have been making and just starting to shoot chunk and light table round ball bench. Up till now all I have shot is round ball. Well bench BP slug gun shooting has caught my attention. In looking for parts to make a slug gun I ran across a slug gun for sale. Well to make a long story short I am in the slug gun world now. Wow do I have at to learn. I just finished reading Ned Roberts book on the cap lock rifle. Great book wish I had found it a long time ago. Anyway just wanted to say hi and hope to meet and learn form some others that shoot BP guns.

mooman76
01-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the board Kenl.

It's a great place here. Looking forward to any questions you have as well as sharing your years of experience with us. I should be retiring in a few more years(hopefully) and hope to get into shooting more. I also hope to shoot more this year because I changed my work schedule and it should allow more time for it.

Kenl
01-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mooman. Good luck on your retirement in a few months. As much as I enjoyed my job retirement is a lot better. What type of shooting are you involved in.

rodwha
01-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Experience is always welcome!!!

Has your RB experience only been at the range or have you played out in the fields too? Hunting that is…

When I first became interested in muzzleloaders and looked into what a PRB offered I was put off by the low BC value and sectional density. I couldn't see how it would be useful beyond maybe 50 yds! So I began looking into conicals and bullets in sabots until I became a member of traditional forums. And then I was schooled! So I've abandoned this need for modern bullets, and have been shooting PRB's for a year now.

I recently tried the Lee REAL (320 grn) in my .50 cal Deerhunter as I may very well be moving soon into elk country and would prefer a bigger projectile, but I'm all for using a PRB on medium game to 100 yds or so!

I do, however, want a barrel/rifle with a faster twist that I can attach a Malcolm style scope to for hunting fields and such. I just love the way those scopes look!

IROCZ
01-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Welcome Ken.

bp38
01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Welcome and another thumbs up on Ned Roberts book.

mooman76
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks Mooman. Good luck on your retirement in a few months. As much as I enjoyed my job retirement is a lot better. What type of shooting are you involved in.

I'm into a little of everything but been get more into ML shooting lately. I like the simplicity of it.

smoked turkey
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Welcome Ken. You are off and running. From your posts, I glean you have a lot to learn (from your own words), and I think you have a lot to offer in the way of experiences. You will learn that we are a bunch of enablers who just love to get into others business deals, casting, loading, hunting, etc. We will be interested in following along as you do your slug project. Again, welcome to the addiction. What a grand way to enjoy retirement!

Kenl
01-11-2014, 08:46 PM
I use to hunt a lot but just lost interest in it. I have no problems with it just lost interest. The last years I did hunt was always with a BP gun. The rifle I bought is .365 bore with false muzzle machined for cross paper patch. Under hammer action. 22 1/2 lbs. it came with two bullet moulds one for paper patch and one for lube grove. Where to start? LOL . Thanks to all the welcome's.

mikeym1a
01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Welcome aboard! Wish you were my neighbor!!

Kenl
01-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Mike same here. There is no one in my area that I know of doing this type of shooting. Kinda on my own here.

DIRT Farmer
01-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Welcome. One of my mentors for muzzle loading shotgun is from Winchester KY. I have always wanted to get there to visit him. He was at Friendship this year.

Teddy (punchie)
01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Hi Ken !! Welcome to a great place to exchange information and meet some great people, best crowd I have ever found online. That's been awhile.

Kenl
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Welcome. One of my mentors for muzzle loading shotgun is from Winchester KY. I have always wanted to get there to visit him. He was at Friendship this year.

You wouldn't be referring to Chick would you?

DIRT Farmer
01-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Chick is the one who got me started in politics in the NMLRA. I still haven't decided wether to thank him or cuss him.

Kenl
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
I understand. LOL

Captain*Kirk
01-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Welcome, Kenl. I haven't been around much lately but gonna try to correct that...

Fly
01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you are as old as me & started around the same time as me.I can't
say enough about how great the people here are.I have NEVER met anyone from
Ky I did not like.
Welcome aboard my friend, Fly

Freightman
01-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the madness!

Hanshi
01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the forum, Kenl. Hope you'll hang around so we can all get to know you.

Kenl
01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the welcome a boards. Looking forward to discussion with everyone.