PDA

View Full Version : Idle maunderings

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 10:20 AM
In the spirit of tossing another log on the fire....

I backed into casting bullets, the motivation stemming from the acquisition of an ancient picket rifle which led to BP bullet guns, which led to casting bullets for more current cartridge guns. It went something like this: .38 picket rifle, .50 BP bullet gun (slug gun), .40 bullet gun also BP...and that's when the trouble started.

Next thing I know there's 600-700# of lead holding down my bench and a bunch of moulds for 1/4 bores, 7mm, .308, .357, etc. etc. etc. Production of bullets for the bullet guns started with pure lead (high temps) and hammer dies to swage them into useable projectiles. It baffles me that such tools are not more commonly used these days for paper patched bullets...they produce gems of near perfection and enable two part bullet building in a very simple but effective format. For those unfamiliar with the historical provenance of slug guns/bullet guns, they were the tool of the day during the heyday of the National Rifle Club back in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. They are still used in competition. Common characteristics for the 40 rod competition (220 yards) is a bullet of 350-1300 grains with anywhere from 50-250 grains of BP. The guns mostly have scopes, some vintage, and weigh anywhere from 15 to 70 pounds.

An H.V. Perry rifle of .56 caliber weighing around 45 pounds:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN0187_zps19e3eed3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN0187_zps19e3eed3.jpg.html)

The .56 caliber "plinker bullet" of 900 grains on the far right, a .50 caliber of 800 grains (two piece) to its immediate left. The rest are picket bullet of various design philosophies save for the far left which is the 300 grain bullet I use for my .44 mag paper patching, something I began doing in the last century:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/9373f7cf-f2c6-4c61-abf0-bb5496cdeb2e_zps7b5ffe62.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/9373f7cf-f2c6-4c61-abf0-bb5496cdeb2e_zps7b5ffe62.jpg.html)

My point in dredging this up? The recent thread discussion about RPMs and Litz articles etc. was a bit of a conundrum to me. The gist of most of Litz's published work deals with long range exterior ballistics and the cause/effect relationship between bullets used for such work and gyroscopic stability. It is interesting stuff to be sure and the fallout from misadventure is profoundly obvious at ranges of 1,000 yards or so. If not clear to you at this point, the significance of many of the phenomenons associated with the craft do not generally manifest until 600 yards or so, and in many cases much farther. I do not believe they are so important to cast bullet shooters in the main, though there are a few exceptions. One would be an annual competition out in Wyoming for BPCR guns that I understand to be called the "Wasserberger Mile" . If I have misconstrued anything about that endeavor that is incorrect I hope KW will chime in, but in short form I'd not stand still and pose at a target for those lads despite the breezy conditions common in Wyoming.

Point #2: A lot of the discussion about effects of gyroscopic stability effects is in my opinion, largely irrelevant to cast bullet shooters because of how the bullets are employed (short range) and bullet form (RNFB). The latter generally places bullet CG and aerodynamic center of pressure (CP) in close proximity. With shorter moments common to these designs gyroscopic stability factors (Sg) suitable for the task are found with slower twist rates and lower velocities. As example, the fastest twist of any of my bullet guns is 16". The .44 Mag is 20". Yes, the cartridge guns trend faster but with exception of the 7mm none are faster than 1:14". The larger bores find stability at these slow twist rate by virtue of their diameter, which when spun up to operating RPM achieve sufficient energy to stabilize by that virtue rather than spinning like a possessed demon.

Lest we lose a salient point in this meandering post, bullet guns can be used and have been at ranges much longer than 40 rods. Matches of 600, 800 and 1,000 yards are the stuff of record. They typically shoot at muzzle velocities near 1,100 fps to avoid transgression on the speed of sound and attendant drag effects. Yes, they figured this out in the 19th century. The "Mile" shoot boys shoot faster, but again, the bullet forms are amenable to minimizing transonic drag effects as are most all cast bullet forms. The commonly high weight of bullets used presented very high ballistic coefficients as well. Such things have not been lost on BPCR shooters.

The alloys used for cast bullets trend soft, especially for hunting purposes and bullet guns. It does not mean that hard alloys are bad, just that the desired effect(s) are easily had with soft alloys and in the case of BP, unlikely to be had with hard. That paper patch appears to protect such projectiles from the effects of barrel abuse and other misadventure seems to present conclusions of merit in that approach to achieving accuracy and higher velocity if one is so inclined. I'm not saying that is the only path, but it is a clue. Maybe a very finely finished bore is another alternative if one is inclined to use greasers?

One thing that doesn't change in the discussion is that if one builds a malformed bullet, or one that is grossly unbalanced, it won't work for squat at any range. If one tries to squirt a piece of lead "putty" out of a .300 RUM at 3400 fps they might have their work cut out for them and we might all learn something from it. Being of lazy nature, if I want to do that, the bullets will wear a copper coat and have a form suitable for plinking small targets at great distance, Wyoming wind notwithstanding. OR, I will stoke up a .45-110 with a 540 grain Money Bullet and take another path.

As I've found most of this path already paved I see little reason to reinvent the wheel. If your bullets are acting up, don't blame the bullet or necessarily the gun or even the cartridge. Anything is possible with cast bullets, it's just a matter of how one approaches the problem. First and foremost, make good bullets...

Dan

mikeym1a
01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Neat ruminations. BTW, where's the carriage for that field piece?? :-D

Larry Gibson
01-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Excellent!

Obviously you need not spend money for exercise at a gym lifting weights...........

Larry Gibson

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Strong backs work mostly. One of the champions of that era was a fellow named Billinghurst. He built a .69 caliber gun that remains notorious in bullet gun circles to this day. He hired a gun boy to assist in transport and loading.

What I did not mention earlier about such guns is the accuracy standards for success. The NRC used string measure which is an aggregate of displacement of POI from POA. Typical matches were run with strings of 20 or 30 shots. Single didgit aggregates were competitive. As I recall the record 20 shot string scored in the range of 6 and a fraction inches. Just an opinion but such scoring methodology is far more demanding than simply measuring group size randomly placed on a target.

Certaindeaf
01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
".hammer dies.."
Dang, I never knew of such things/methods.. I better study up.. you are my new hero!
Great write-up by the way.

Bigslug
01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
NICE rifle Dan! Now I'm all drooly!

I shall join these idle ponderings.:drinks:

It sounds like you got into this hobby exactly the same way I did. After about 20 years of us reloading for various modern jacketed cartridges, Dad decided to scratch his Civil War / buffalo rifle itch. Since Sierra doesn't make a hexagonal Match King for the Whitworth, his early pre-retirement present to himself was a 20-pound Lyman pot. When our idiots in Sacramento started mumbling about making ammo sales a lot more complicated, molds started showing up on our doors for ALL KINDS of things. Thus far, spousal units seem to be in favor.[smilie=1:

I've had a few head-scratching moments over the long range stability issues you bring up. There are documented incidents of Confederate snipers delivering harassing fire from their Whitworths at ranges well in excess of a mile. It was really only the inconvenience of muzzle loading and flatter short-range trajectories offered by smokeless powder and jackets that lead to the disappearance of Sir Joseph's system - for accuracy at distance, it was still VERY competitive well into the 20th Century. The exploits of the buffalo hunting era speak for themselves.

Due to unavailability of suitable ranges, I never progressed beyond competition at 600 yards, although I ran in the circles of those that had. The big challenge before the 175 grain Match King arrived on the market was to keep a bullet from a 22" M14 barrel supersonic - and therefore stable - for 1000 yards. The whole philosophy behind the modern rifle bullet seems to be about maximizing the flatness of the trajectory to reduce dependence on proper range estimation, or to beat wind drift for the limited distance being shot. As such, they tend to be styled after the F-104 Starfighter - long, slender, and VERY good at going in a straight line so long as they are going fast enough. . .but a lot of them can't remain stable through the change in airflow at the trans-sonic barrier that inevitably happens around the 800-1200 yard mark for most of the .30-06-ish cartridges. The Whitworth and Sharps slugs - profile models for the Space Shuttle's main fuel tank - don't seem to have this problem.

I'm not certain exactly when this became an issue, but it didn't automatically show up with jackets, smokeless, and smaller bores. In A Rifleman Went to War, Herbert McBride discusses effective extreme range use of various .30 caliber machine guns in WWI that would not have been possible with destabilized projectiles. Carlos Hathcock killed a lot of Vietnamese troops with the 173 grain FMJBT at ranges no .30-06 could stay supersonic for. I suspect the problem came about with the match hollowpoint with its jacket stretched forward past the lead to increase length and B.C. It's also worth considering that Hathcock and McBride were both using faster rates of rifling twist ( 1-10) that were holdovers from the early jacketed era of heavy, round-nose projectiles. The .308 Winchester also went to a slower, 1-12" twist for 150 grain pills, which certainly contributed to the problems encountered on the way to 1000 yards.

At any rate, all of this has forced me to wonder if these heavy, blunt, solid bullet profiles may be superior long range projectiles, compared to the modern match spitzer. Yes, higher initial speed offers lots of advantages in the sub-1200 yard arena, but you can only throw them so fast, and they are going to go subsonic eventually. Once the starting, high speed impulse has died down, the buffalo slugs seem better at coasting - they just need to be plotted and aimed like artillery - easier now with lasers and GPS.

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 02:58 PM
For those with passing interest in hammer dies, they are quite simple in concept and use.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4287_zps291be565.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4287_zps291be565.jpg.html)

Die body, ram and ejector pin is about all there is. There are two sets here, both for the .50 bullet gun I shoot. Picture of the slug mould below and once a slug is cast it is lightly lubed and put in the die. The package is placed on something solid like a tree stump and the ram is whacked smartly with a hammer. I use one of 5# made of brass. The ram must be struck squarely, but it is not difficult to do. FWIW, one can swage larger caliber bullets with a hammer die than most presses are capable of handling. Don't know it's true but I've read hammer dies can generate is excess of 75 KPSI in a die bore of .73" (12 bore). In the pic above you may note the HD body is two piece. The lower protects the ejector pin. You may also note a slug in between. It looks a bit different after it gets the treatment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4286_zps64cf1fdb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4286_zps64cf1fdb.jpg.html)

One last shot on previous commentary. The Perry rifle is not mine, but I know the owner and have watched it thunder. On topic of fine quality bores, it has 18 lands of very low elevation above the groove, perhaps .004" or less. The grooves and lands are not square. They look like ripples or waves in water, a gentle undulation that will confuse your eyes in a blink. The gun was built in the late 1800's and the bore shines like a mirror. And yes, it shoots very well.

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Excellent!

Obviously you need not spend money for exercise at a gym lifting weights...........

Larry Gibson

Indeed. I refined my physique years ago in the Army. My left arm was used to pull the power lever (collective pitch) on choppers and my right hoisted a lot of liquor. Balanced exercise is a necessity. [smilie=1:

Nrut
01-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Indeed. I refined my physique years ago in the Army. My left arm was used to pull the power lever (collective pitch) on choppers and my right hoisted a lot of liquor. Balanced exercise is a necessity. [smilie=1:
And betting you got your training flying Hiller UH12E's?
Same bird the crop spraying company used that I managed back in the 70's in Yuma..
Didn't fly myself as my MOS was anti-air..

Those hammer dies look very interesting..
Do you know where there might be some cutaway drawings of such?

blikseme300
01-11-2014, 04:28 PM
My education continues... I had no idea such rifles existed.

Green Lizzard
01-11-2014, 04:38 PM
great read, thanks dd

offshore44
01-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Great stuff! I love it when the more esoteric corners of shooting get a little exposure.

Certaindeaf
01-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks for that addendum/addition. Way cool. My studies have only just begun.
I thought I was all fancy paper patching lubeable slugs. not

Nrut
01-11-2014, 06:32 PM
So I did a search and found this..
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?122285-Hammer-dies
No replies..
LOL
Seems to me that they could be easily made by those who have the machinery and knowledge needed to make them..

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
And betting you got your training flying Hiller UH12E's?
Same bird the crop spraying company used that I managed back in the 70's in Yuma..
Didn't fly myself as my MOS was anti-air..

Hillers it was. Curious machines they were. Coffee grinder cranks to tune the radio and a power off descent rate like they invented gravity.

I've never seen a schematic or cutaway of hammer dies. Imagine if you will that the bored/honed/polished cavity of the die is the form for the bullet you want. The ejector pin is nested via a bore hole and may be extracted vertically from bottom to top. The cup at the end of the pin is shaped like your final nose form. Tolerances are tight obviously, but since the die body and ejector are finished as a unit, not really difficult to fabricate. The ram face finishes the bullet base and is the same major diameter as the die body at the point of base geometry. I suppose if one where inclined, that a boat tail or rebated boat tail would be within reach. ???

When I get the time I'll take a few pictures of the innards and post them.

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 07:01 PM
A few pics of the .50 from the business end with bullet starter, monkey fist and muzzle with false muzzle installed. The gun was built by a fellow named D. Hilliard in Cornish, New Hampshire. .50 cal, 17 pounds and the barrel is about 1.4" across the flats. It is a curiosity of sorts in that the mould and dies are for a picket style bullet (pictured above) and it has a 16" twist. The previous owner shot it a bit with a bullet of more conventional geometry and 600 grains weight but the mould/die was misplaced even though the notes are in my possession.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4278_zpsde9b5859.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4278_zpsde9b5859.jpg.html)

The purpose of the monkey fist is to hold paper cross strips in place during windy weather. You will note on the face of the FM small protrusions and the form of an X. The two strips are oiled and of about 2.25" length. When put in place the FM orientation causes the edges of the strips to nest in the grooves rather than enter the bore in random fashion. At any rate, the bullet is thumb pressed into the FM then the bullet starter is installed. A sharp slap with the palm starts the bullet about 6" into the bore and seating is finished with a range rod.

The gun was made in the 1880s and the scope remains functional if a small bit fogged. Estimated magnification is 12X, field of view about 6' at 100 yards.

Another couple of shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4282_zpsa4b29ff9.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4282_zpsa4b29ff9.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4274_zpsbb43d253.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4274_zpsbb43d253.jpg.html)

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Another gun, this a 40 caliber w/32" barrel by Kreiger w/MVA 6X that was built by the Wyoming Armory in 2010-2011. Unlike the others it shoots a GG bullet from a mould made by David Mos that is tapered and weighs 350 grains. 16" twist, Allen boxlock action. It weighs 17# also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/IMG_0740_zpsebdded04.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/IMG_0740_zpsebdded04.jpg.html)

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
A .50 caliber rifle built by Rich Hicks that uses the two piece bullet pictured earlier. It has a gain twist barrel and was charged by 200 grains of Swiss 1.5 FG if I recall correctly. The barrel is about 2.5" across the flats. He also built the scope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN3202_zps4dffc135.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN3202_zps4dffc135.jpg.html)

.22-10-45
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Hello, Digital Dan. It's good to see someone keeping the old traditions..and precision bullet making alive! When the craze of the BPCR Silhouette game took hold..I felt sure the black powder community in this country would at long last step beyond their relatively short-range round ball limitations and embrace the elongated bullets and/or P.P. I was looking forward to seeing competions using both original and new made Whitworths, and Rigbys..but alas..except for a few and far between long-range matches.it was not to be. It is interesting that the British Commonwealth shooters of the 1870-1880's beat our riflemen using muzzleloaders when wiping between shots was disallowed...so much for the almost god like status given to the Sharps rifle today.
The fantastic accuracy of H.M. Popes rifles was very much due to the fact the soft lead bullets were loaded from the muzzle...pre-engraved via. false muzzles & any burrs to bullet base were eliminated. I have made some hammer dies..though I use them with cast G.G. bullets. I have fine threaded adjustable punch for different lengths & use mine in heavy arbor press.

Digital Dan
01-11-2014, 11:52 PM
.22-10-45, thanks for that, and I for one would shoot one of the Whitworth rifles is it could load a hex bullet. They were fascinating guns...and quite functional.

I have another cannon built by Barry Darr on a High Wall action, a .40-.38-55 that is a muzzle loading cartridge gun. It has an enormous Unertl scope mounted and weighs 19#. Quite an interesting piece of work it is. Pic below was taken before the scope was mounted post shipping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4592_zpsd6f5c9a0.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4592_zpsd6f5c9a0.jpg.html)