PDA

View Full Version : Best ladle for casting

donovansn585
01-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I am using a Dutch oven and a beater ladle right now for casting, but I just bought A smaller cast iron pot and a small electric burner so I can cast in my basement rather than in garage with a turkey fryer burner. So I'm looking at getting a better ladle for casting what is very ones recommendations for a ladle. I have looked at the rowell bottom pour, the lee and the lyman please share with me what your personal expierence with these is. I was thinking also about going to bottom pour but that seems to be a pretty expensive setup unless you go lee and I don't know if I can deal with the lee drip everyone talks about

JSnover
01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
My Lee auto-drip really has not been that bad. It needed a little tuning but no mods, no special tools. I use a Rowell for making ingots.

C.F.Plinker
01-11-2014, 10:33 AM
I use a soup ladle from the thrift store for making ingots and a Lyman ladle with a ten inch handle rod for casting boolits.

country gent
01-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I perfer a ladle with an actual spout IE; Lyman, rcbs,rowel. My lyman and rcbs have been reworked the pouts are now drilled out to .200 dia to get a better faster fill. The lee ladle works but with the pour lip you cant pressure pour a mold and it really dosnt hold alot of lead for bigger bullets multi cavity molds. I believe the smallest rowel ( #1) is 1 lb capacity. Alot of lead for the way I cast the big bullets. Handle several and see what feels right. The lee is good for stiring and skimming. It could stand a longer handle though. Iuse the same set up duth oven on a turkey frier base with a weed burner for heat. I ladle cast everything. I have 2 pots a 30 lb for smaller batches and the dytch oven for normal sessions. Im not going to change anything yet.

Beagle333
01-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I use Lyman. I got a couple of em. They work great.
Amazon has em on sale for 13 bucks and change right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-2867790-Lead-Dipper/dp/B001OPLJUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389457858&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+ladle
I think I paid closer to 20 apiece for both of mine. :(

donovansn585
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
This is gonna be a stupid questions but can someone explain to me pressure pouring, I have googled the hell out if it and have found no answers

JSnover
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
This is gonna be a stupid questions but can someone explain to me pressure pouring, I have googled the hell out if it and have found no answers

It's when you put the spout right into the hole on your sprue plate. The weight of the lead creates pressure inside the cavity.

donovansn585
01-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the link just odered one of the lyman ladles from Amazon good price. I'm really interested in pressure pouring cause I'm going to try my hand my new bator mold and it sounds to me like pressure pouring those small boolits may help consistency

jmort
01-11-2014, 02:13 PM
"I think I paid closer to 20 apiece for both of mine."

I just just got one of the $13.00 Lyman dippers through Amazon Prime and the "sale" I believe is related to that fact that it is made in china. You "expensive" dippers were probably/hopefully made in the USA. I would rather pay $20.00 for a USA casting. For $13.00 delivered it was/is still a good deal, I like it, but from what I have seen, there is a slight difference, for the worse, in the spout. It is shorter.