PDA

View Full Version : widest meplat to feed in ak47?

smokesahoy
01-11-2014, 02:42 AM
The idea being a bullet that will feed in an ak47, but that is also suitable to hunt with in mosin. I'm a minimalist by nature and like consolidating as many things as possible. I was hoping to get a hunting bullet out of the 312440 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172622). I've only loaded cast in handguns, but historically I just bought the box of whatever brand in the weight and nose type I wanted for rifles. Looking to change that.

That 312440 probably wouldn't feed in an AK47. Has anyone tried? I really want to be wrong here. It would probably be great in a mosin nagant though. If not what is the fattest meplat you have managed to run in an ak?

I'm reading thru threads for one or the other, but has anyone specifically tried to find the fattest meplat that will work in both?

If this is covered elsewhere I'm not finding it in a search and apologize for cluttering the forum.

Certaindeaf
01-11-2014, 09:08 AM
I have no idea but if I reloaded (and I do), barring 100% assurances from others, I'd seat some bullets to proper oal that had been rasped/filed down flat to the degree you think similar to that bullet. I'd also try empty cases.. convention holds that if a gun will feed empties, it'll feed anything.
Good luck.

rsrocket1
01-11-2014, 01:47 PM
If you can make some "fake" bullets by filing/sanding or whatever to the profile of that bullet and try feeding them through your AK mag into your gun, that would give you a good idea whether they would work or not. I have a feeling that just about anything would feed into the AK, maybe even wadcutters :shock:

Outpost75
01-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Feeding in an AK is somewhat magazine dependent, but the HM2-.312-160-5 with 0.155" diameter meplat feeds in ours.

smokesahoy
01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks for helping me think outside the box! I will load a wooden dowel that is squared off then sand it down till it feeds. Thanks guys!