PDA

View Full Version : Maganese?

mechdriver
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
A friend just gave be an ingot that is stamped Maganese Babbit. What do I have? Is it useful for bullets?

Thanks for your help.
Mechdriver

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Mechdriver, I believe what you have is a lead- based Babbitt metal, as opposed to a tin-based.
Babbitt metals are used for bearings, and are poured into the journal that holds them.

Tin-based Babbitt is usually about 89 parts tin, 7.4 parts antimony, and 3.6 parts copper. The copper is negligible, and this Babbitt can be mixed 20 or 30 to one with lead.

Syracuse brand manganese Babbitt, The type I have on hand, is composed of 5 parts tin, 14.75 parts antimony, and the rest lead. Sort of like wheel weights on steroids. Use it like wheel weights to harden your lead.
Morgan

felix
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Wish I had some to play with. Manganese might not go into solution without special fluxes and float to the top for discard. If it would work as it does in steel, then the final lead alloy would be extra strong against shearing. Manganese is used as the additive for objects as dragline buckets, roadgrader blades, and anything that rubs against something abrasive. ... felix

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Felx, Manganese is only the name of this babbit.(probably supposed to infer strength) It contains no manganese, the ingredients are as I posted. I used it to pour bearings for old Buzz saw I was using for firewood.
It is made by the Syracuse Smelting Works, in New York City.
Morgan

felix
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I got that from your previous post. Thanks! There are a lot of teasers out and about, aren't there? ... felix

mechdriver
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the quick info.

Morgan, I'm also in NC. The Kannapolis area.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm west of you, about 25 NW of Shelby on Hwy 226.
Morgan