PDA

View Full Version : Book list

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 01:23 AM
My dad is a bibliophile and I am as well, I mostly use books as referance but sometimes I actually read them front to back. My dad asked me what I wanted for christmas and I think I can greatly improve on my mild book collection I have started (shooting,reloading etc books). I have

Sharpes book on rifles and handloading

Big Bore rifles (rifles and cartridges) wollfe

The Modern gunsmith 2 vol signed by Howe

Editions of Cartridges of the World,Bolt action rifles (de haas), ABC's of handloading, The handloaders manual of Cartridge Conversions (I ♥ that one), Ammunition making by frost, Hatchers notebook and textbook of pistols and revolvers.

Paul Matthews loading BPCR and shooting BPCR

and some other books that pertain to Belt feds but thats really a different topic

Besides Keiths "sixguns", Mcgivers, taffins, and maybe Bill Jordans book what other books would I / Should I get.

MT Gianni
12-03-2007, 01:29 AM
I think Keith's "Hell, I was there" is as good a read and primer as "Sixguns". I have Bill Jordan's book "No second place winner" and it is a read once in my opinion, not a reread and study. I enjoy reading Kenneth Waters "Pet Loads" as well as many novels. Gianni

Bob Jones
12-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Agreed, Jordan's book was a good quick read, but thin and didn't feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

Send me your address and I'll send you my copy to read if you'll pay the return postage to get it back to me if you're interested.

Sixgun by Keith is one book I keep on the nightstand and have been picking it up and reading it for a year, each time I read a section I get something new out of it.

BTW, my wife picked mine up on ebay for $4 because the seller misspelled the name, keep an eye out for that kind of stuff as many of these are getting expensive.

I'm looking for Harrison's book on cast bullets, the available copies are all in the $75 range.

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 02:50 AM
I've actually read bill jordans book. It was loaned to me about a year ago from the county sheriff who I'm good friends with

I started to read Keiths "Hell I was there" but didn't finish it before I moved away and had to return it to its owner.

Bret4207
12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
"Handloading" by Earl Naramore and "Priciples and Practices of Loading Ammunition" by JR Mattern- both classics. "Game loads and practical ballistics for the hunter" by Bob Hagel is good. Anything by Keith, Skeeter, Roper, McGivern, Fitzgerald, Crossman, Haines, Dan Beard, Ernest Thompson Seton, Steweart Edward White, CS Landis, Francis Sell, Ackley and of course gunsmithing books by Clyde Baker, Dunlop, etc.

If you can find them at a decent price most of the books by O'Connor, Carmichael, Page, Pete Brown, Kohler, Venturino, etc are worthwhile.

My weakness, okay ONE of my weaknesses, is old out of print sporting and gun books found on Ebay. There is just no other place to get a decent buy on books. www.abe.com is fine, but the shops are expensive and limited. Same with Amazon. Try finding a copy of "Squirrel Hunting" by Bob Gooch for under $100.00 on abe. Hard to do, although I did find a copy of "A Wilderness Patchwork" by Willet Randall for cheap. Had to have it after my copy disappeared. It's the story of the breeding of the Patch Beagle lineand was written by a nieghbor. Had to have it as it mentions my father saving one of the writers employees from drowning.

Boy did that go off on a tangent!

scrapcan
12-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Robert Rinker's Understanding Firearm Ballistics is a good addition. P.O. Ackley handbook 1 & 2 are also good. Kuhnhausen shop manuals for the firearms you are interested in (if they are available).

Powderpacker
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Bret -
Have you checked Powell's Books when you're searching for hard to find books? They have had a few books that I couldn't find anywhere else . They also seem to have better prices on the books that other dealers have .
www.powells.com

MT Gianni
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Yea, I didn't mention Bob Hagels 3 books. He loads hot but has some great information. They usually w-bay for not much money. There are a couple of North American Hunt Club editions that are almost give aways. Gianni

BruceB
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
At www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com you'll find an on-line bookseller who SPECIALIZES in gun-related books of all types.

This is Ray Riling Arms Books, and I've dealt with them several times with satisfaction.

The outfit not only has all the current in-print gun/hunting/collecting/technical/you-name-it books, but also MANY older ones, including very rare and expensive editions of all kinds. I find their pricing to be fair and service is good. Get on their mailing list, and they'll send periodical lists of books on hand, often one-of-a-kind used ones.

NOTE: Although I accessed the site a few minutes ago, I can't seem to get through now. Maybe some trouble with their site, so keep trying...it's worth the visit.

The Double D
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I have to second Brett's suggestion of www.abe.com.
Both www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com and www.powells.com are part of www.abe.com. so when your query www.abe.com you are quering www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com and www.powells.com at teh same time.

Play with the search engine and you will be surprised what comes up. Run just the Authors last name or just the key words of the title.

I ran Complete Guide to Handloading for The Complete Guide to Handloading by Philip B. Sharpe.

I got 63 hits: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=2&sts=t&tn=Complete+Guide+to+Handloading&x=51&y=9

Running in price from $19.95 for a1953, 3rd edition, 2nd revision to $133 for a Funk and Wagnalls Co. 1937., 1937. Large hardback. First edition. 465 pages. Signed Yours for Finer Loads Philip Sharp on FFEP.

Got 186 hits on Sharpe's THE RIFLE IN AMERICA

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I almost purchased another copy of sharpes book (funk) over the weekend at a gun show for $30 it was the other copy the guy had who sold me my copy a few years back. Most likely it will be there next month,the people in the area I grew up in do not read much :mrgreen:...I might pick it up and list it for somebody in need.

I'm getting the "NRA library" editions of out of print books off ebay like sharpes "The Rifle in America" , Hatchers pistol and revolver text book and Reichenbachs book on revolver & pistol shooting...I gotta say that is a um "interesting read"

Bret4207
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm getting the "NRA library" editions of out of print books off ebay like sharpes "The Rifle in America" , Hatchers pistol and revolver text book and Reichenbachs book on revolver & pistol shooting...I gotta say that is a um "interesting read"

I have several of the NRA special edition books. They are truly beautiful books. They often turn up on Ebay. I tried getting them from NRA, but whenI sent one back, they stopped sending them altogether.

floodgate
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
wonderwolf:

I got in on the NRA "Firearms Classics Library" reprint series at the beginning, and am up to nearly 70 copies by now. They are handsome, and beautifully produced. These have let me send on some of my first editions and other duplicates to the ASSRA and ARTCA Archives, where they are available for loan to others. But, since they usually reproduce first editions, I have also kept copies of my later editions, with added material. I actually think I have more invested in firearms books than in the hardware itself; and I get more use out of them in bad weather!

floodgate

woody1
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=Bret4207;253112 Try finding a copy of "Squirrel Hunting" by Bob Gooch for under $100.00 on abe.

Boy did that go off on a tangent![/QUOTE]

Let's see if this works:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-9781592285877-0
Regards, Woody

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Wonderwolfe., I'm also a firm believer in a large library, I've got one room in my home set aside for this, along with a large bookcase in my shop for gunsmithing and machinist books. For many years, I've owned a copy of The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions by George C. Nonte, and in fact it was this book, along with Cartridges of the World, that got me started in a part time business of providing obsolete brass and dies to fellow schuetzen shooters, and others. This was before such outfits as BELL Brass and Bertram Brass were around.

A few months ago, lured by the sheer size of the volume,(600 pgs. as opposed to 400 pgs.) I ordered, from Amazon, a copy of the Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly and Towsley. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly. The Nonte book has much more information on constructing tooling, such as drawing and belt forming dies, without wasting space on Gun Digest style photos of basic reloading tools.

I didn't start this post to knock the Donelly book, but since you said you loved it, as a fellow book lover, :drinks:I'm suggesting you check out the Nonte book, You'll probably be blown away by it.:-D
Morgan

BruceB
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Yep, I've used AbeBooks a lot. Good place.

The reason I suggested going right to the Riling site is that, while abebooks.com is a fine resource IF you know what you're looking for, the Riling site is a dandy for browsing and checking out books one may not even know are in existence.

That's how many of my books came to be here; seeing them in Riling's occasional flyer brought them to my attention.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Dixie Gun Works has an extensive listing of firearms-related books for sale, also.
Morgan

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Wonderwolfe., I'm also a firm believer in a large library, I've got one room in my home set aside for this, along with a large bookcase in my shop for gunsmithing and machinist books. For many years, I've owned a copy of The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions by George C. Nonte, and in fact it was this book, along with Cartridges of the World, that got me started in a part time business of providing obsolete brass and dies to fellow schuetzen shooters, and others. This was before such outfits as BELL Brass and Bertram Brass were around.

A few months ago, lured by the sheer size of the volume,(600 pgs. as opposed to 400 pgs.) I ordered, from Amazon, a copy of the Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly and Towsley. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly. The Nonte book has much more information on constructing tooling, such as drawing and belt forming dies, without wasting space on Gun Digest style photos of basic reloading tools.

I didn't start this post to knock the Donelly book, but since you said you loved it, as a fellow book lover, :drinks:I'm suggesting you check out the Nonte book, You'll probably be blown away by it.:-D
Morgan

I love it for the comparison info it gives me. I can see what I can use or something that might take a little time on the lathe to alter. I don't like the fact the pictures are pretty much useless except to get a quick glance to see if a case is belted or whatnot. Why put drawings in such a book if they are not going to be to size? The book I used prior to this one was "The Illustrated Reference of Cartridge dimensions" from Wolfe. I got the manual for $20 and so far for what it is I think its been worth it. I'll look around for the Nonte book and put it on my wish list.

Whaump 'em
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Look for a copy of "My Fifty Years in Alaska" by Hardy Trefsger. Very interesting and powerful.

A magazine article that covers some of the same ground although preceeds Trefsger's arrival by quite a few years;

"Among the Thlinkits in Alaska" by C.E.S. Wood

can be read at;

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fcent%2Fcent0024%2F&tif=00335.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DABP2287-0024-92

bb

AZ-Stew
12-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I have "Sixguns", "Hell, I was there!" (Keith), "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" (McGivern), and "No Second Place Winner" (Jordan). Keep in mind, Jordan's book was written in about 1964, long before 1911 pistols were considered much more than military relics by most serious shooters. I do believe it's worth studying. There is a lot of wisdom in its pages. I bought mine in the early 70s for $3.95, shipped, while I was on a Med cruise in the Navy. When I presented my copy to Bill at an NRA convention here in Phoenix in the early 80s to get his autograph, he looked at the well-worn slip cover and yellow-edged pages and told me, "Stop loaning this out to your friends. Tell them to buy their own copy". He did have a great sense of humor.

I have a cabinet full of gun-related books. The only ones I find mostly useless are the "Gun Digest" and "Shooter's Bible" types in which the last half of the book is a catalog of year-and-a-half old products. The industry advances much faster than that. While some of the articles are useful, they don't justify the cost of the book. Considering the age of the catalog data in them, the "2008" editions should be more truthfully advertised as "2006" editions.

Novices can learn a bit from books aimed at "Big Game Cartridges" (any author), but looking at a manufacturer's catalog pamphlet will give you a pretty good idea, and they're free or on line. Start with .24 cal for smaller species of "big" game, and work your way up, increasing cartridge size in proportion to the weight of the game to be hunted and the distance at which you expect the shot to be taken. As we know, shot placement is more important than caliber, assuming adequate penetration.

Most handloading books are useful. There is a far greater variety of them than there was when I started loading. There is hardly a specialty that isn't covered by at least one book.

All work and no play makes us dull boys. If you want a good laugh, pick up some of Patrick McManus's books. I often read them on cross-country airplane trips. There are always several people around me watching me laugh out loud, wondering what I find so damned funny. My favorites are, "Rubber Legs and Whitetail Hairs", The Grasshopper Trap", "Never Sniff a Gift Fish" and "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They".

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Let's see if this works:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-9781592285877-0
Regards, Woody

Nope, thats his later book. The expensive one is th eolder one with the title I mentioned. Thanks anyway.

waksupi
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I can think of several good ones. "The Sporting rifle and it's Projectiles", "Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges", Dangerous Game Rifles,", "Yours Truely, Harvey Donnelson".

Got some other good ones on the shelf, that don't come to mind immediately.

Bent Ramrod
12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
If you accumulate obsolete guns and like to shoot unpopular older cartridges, Henry M. Stebbins' "Rifles--A Modern Encyclopedia" and "Pistols--A Modern Encyclopedia" are well worth their usually modest cost. Excellent reference material, and, since Stebbins was an English teacher, very readable as well.

I think Ken Howell mentioned that Donnelly himself was disappointed in his own book and was going to revise it when he died unexpectedly. Howell's book on cartridge dimensions is much better, as are the drawings. But Howell does refuse to include some of Nonte's case modifications and techniques that the Major put in his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions," citing the plenitude of obsolete shells and basic brass now being manufactured that was not available in Nonte's day, and, of course, the ever-present danger.

All very well and good; and I have all three books. But I'd rather have Nonte put his techniques down for the record, and decide on my own whether to use them, than read a bunch of finger-wagging safety warnings, the implicit message being there's no way I can shoot my gun; hang it on the wall and avoid all risk. So Nonte's book is the first I turn to, then Howell's, and then Donnely's. I could probably do without Donnelly's book.

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I got my copy from Bill Jordan while visiting Elmer Keith's home. I also got half an hour of lessons in getting a pistol out and putting it in play. I read mine about once a year.

A good one is Ackley's set of two, or anything by Ned Roberts. Harvey Donaldson is a classic case of "me, myself, and I..." My best read was where he told people he was the oldest member of the Corvette Club, and posted a picture of him in his latest "sports car" a 1974 Malibu 4-door sedan. Harve was a great self-promoter. "Pondoro" or "Big Game & Big Game Rifles", by John Taylor.

Rich

Bret4207
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Also add to your list- Anything by Ned Roberts, Lucian Cary ( The Harry Pope stories), Horace Kephart, any of Charles Askins Sr, of course Ken Waters, older copies of The Rifleman. There are a lot of older, relatively unknown writers and books out there. The hard part is finding out which ones are gold and which ones were the Clair Reese/Craig Boddington/Jon Sundra/Jan Libourel of their day, ie-paid by the word, content unimportant.

EMC45
12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Kunhausen gunsmithing books and Col. Jeff Cooper's writings.

alamogunr
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Just ran across this thread and had to read every post. Books are another of my weaknesses and I have accumulated quite a collection. Probably modest compared to many on this board, but very interesting to me. I have almost all that have been recommended with the exception of the strictly hunting books. The only addition that has not been mentioned are the books on handguns and lever actions by Paco Kelly. I don't have the first book he put out. It is too expensive when it shows up. I have the second, on CD only, "Handguns and Levers, An American Freedom". The third, is similar in name and content, " Rifles and Handguns, An American Freedom". These are not "how to" books, but a compilation of his life and experiences in law enforcement and with firearms. He does show specific loads for specific cartridges but makes the standard warning to work up. More than anything, he brings up things that I would have never thought of. By the way, when I was still working, I printed out the entire CD book and comb bound it, so strictly speaking it is a "book" at least to me. I can't read off the computer monitor for long periods of time and prefer to hold what I'm reading in my hands.

wonderwolf
12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Robert Rinker's Understanding Firearm Ballistics is a good addition. P.O. Ackley handbook 1 & 2 are also good. Kuhnhausen shop manuals for the firearms you are interested in (if they are available).

How in depth is this book?

And whats the consensuses on "Ruger and his Guns"?

wonderwolf
01-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Christmas came and past and I got a good many books

Hatchers book of the Garand, Home guide to Cartridge conversions (nonte), Ackleys books Vol 1 &2, Rifle man went to war, Wildcat cartridges combo edition and the Mauser C96 spec book ( the C96 is a gun I really want)

I also got a shot timer and 2 bars of cerosafe as well as some ammo.....nothing says Christmas like ammo :-D

outsidebear
01-02-2008, 07:26 PM
You might consider "African Rifles and Cartridges" by John 'Pondoro' Taylor, an excellent book and fine read as well. Most any of the search places already mentioned above should provide info on this book.

Another consideration, might be the Wolfe Publishing series of books, about 36 volumes in all, their republishing of some very fine books in, and related to, the firearms field and hunting. Not sure what you'd search for by name, unless it'd be the Wolfe Publishing series on hunting and firearms books(?). Maybe someone here can offer a better search title/topic? Wolfe published this series of books back in the 1980's I believe.

Char-Gar
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
There are many many books..here are just a few that would be on must have list

Earl Naramore's Principals and Practice of Loading Ammuntion

Hatcher's Notebook

The Bullet's Flight from Muzzle to Target by Dr. Mann

Anything written by Elmer Keith, Townsend Whelen, Francis Sell, Skeeter Skelton or Jack O'Connor.

There are many, more, but here is a start in addition to what you have.

Ricochet
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
It's got some interesting stuff in it. Not great, though. Same with Weatherby's official biography. It's more entertaining.

alamogunr
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
How in depth is this book?

Lots of pictures. I enjoyed it for that reason. Over the years I have acquired a considerable number of firearm related books. I have enjoyed this thread because it confirms the wisdom of most of my choices. I would like to add to the two Peter Hathaway Capstick books that I have now. I will never get to Africa but I do enjoy reading about it.

John

wonderwolf
01-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Capstick's books are great reads I have several and have enjoyed reading them all and others. Snake in the outhouse anybody?

I'm fairly young and will acquire more books but I'm trying to get the rarer ones as they will dry up. I have a very very good start on things. With specialty books on some subjects. now I just need to read them/flip through them so I know what info can be had for reference work down the road with some of them. :drinks:

bootsnthejeep
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I was starting to think I would have to bring up Skeeter myself. Well before my time, but I really like the way he writes. My copy of Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey has been read over and over and over.

I've got the standard Keith books (another hero), Bill Jordon, Paul Mathews, probably going to start collecting Cooper books next. My father was in California shooting combat pistol matches just when Cooper's influence was starting to take hold. Cool to think about all these big names way back when.

Boots

floodgate
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I've gotten the whole series (over sixty to date) of the NRA-affiliated Firearms Classics Library series of fancy, leather bound editions of the firearms "Great Books", currently $35.90 each, ppd. and come in about once every six weeks or so. But they are really hard to communicate with, and I don't know how complete a "backlist" they maintain; try reaching them through 1-866-606-0705.

I got their edition of Walter Roper's classic "Pistol and Revolver Shooting" in the mail today; their first issue, several years back, was Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartridges".

floodgate

alamogunr
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I've gotten the whole series (over sixty to date) of the NRA-affiliated Firearms Classics Library series of fancy, leather bound editions of the firearms "Great Books", currently $35.90 each, ppd. and come in about once every six weeks or so. But they are really hard to communicate with, and I don't know how complete a "backlist" they maintain; try reaching them through 1-866-606-0705.

I got their edition of Walter Roper's classic "Pistol and Revolver Shooting" in the mail today; their first issue, several years back, was Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartridges".

floodgate

Watch the book listings on ebay. I know! They are the enemy but you would be surprised what shows up occasionally. A few years ago I found a slip cased set of "The Bolt Action" by Stuart Otteson. It was virtually new. Back then I found several of the Firearms Classics for very low bids. Taylor's book was one. I probably paid less than $20 for it.

01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Here are a few of my favorites, Complete Guide to Handloading/Phil Sharpe, Hatchers Notebook, both volumes of P O Ackleys loading books, Ken Waters Notebook, Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions/George Nonte. I'll check my book shelves and see what else I can recommend.

alamogunr
01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Case in point concerning books on ebay. Here is a copy of Sharpe's "Rifle in America" from the NRA library:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-RIFLE-IN-AMERICA-PHILIP-SHARPE-LEATHER-GUN-HISTORY_W0QQitemZ300185756860QQihZ020QQcategoryZ73 04QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've already got it or I might jump in at that price.

The Double D
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM

Morgan

Nonte's book is okay, especially when it come to tooling but like Donnelly it suffers from accuarcy. I think they both get there figures from Cartridges of the World. Now there is a book that has some errors in it. A better book yet, and much more accurate is Ken Howells. Designing Custom Cartridges. Another good good set is Fred Datigs books.

I didn't mean to imply the www.abebooks.com is the only way to find good books. If you are looking for a specific title it is the way to go.

But browsing websites like Riling and Book Trail and Powells are where you will find you those treasures you weren't expecting.

quack1
01-03-2008, 08:28 AM
A good site to find books is: www.bookfinder.com You can search by titles or authors.

johniv
01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
A must read for WW 2 history and gun buffs is Col John George's "Shots fired in anger" still avail from the NRA, I believe . Covers the authors time with Merrills troops in Burma and his start at Gudalcanal, Middle section covers Jap and U.S. weapons. The author was a competitive rifle shooter before and after the war. Good read;
John

Bob B
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I do not think anyone mentioned books by Ned Roberts ,H A Donaldson or C E landis or books by Horace Kephart.the writing of thse gentlemen is good reading.Bob B

carpetman
01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
ANybody read or heard of Elmer Kelton---he lives here in San Angelo.

Scrounger
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
ANybody read or heard of Elmer Kelton---he lives here in San Angelo.

Does he raise sheep maybe?

Dale53
01-04-2008, 02:23 AM
I am a fan of some of the African Classics:
"Pondoro" the story of John Taylor. this is a really good read.
"African Cartridges and Loads" by John Taylor is excellent.
"Man Eaters of the Kumaon" by Jim Corbett (my absolutely favorite book).
"Wonderings of an Elephant Hunter" by W.D.M. Bell (Karamojo Bell) is a TERRIFIC book!

I am assuming that no serious shooter would be without the books of Elmer Keith and Townsend Whelen. I have been priviledged to have met both as well as Bill Jordan (extremely tall with HUGE hands(:>)).

"Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern was a textbook for me and I learned to shoot a revolver the way "that it is intended". Amazing what one can learn when "shown the way" by such as the great teacher Ed McGivern (entirely through his book).

Peter Capsticks book, "Death in the long grass" is a classic (and a scary one, at that)!!

Dale53

The Double D
01-04-2008, 03:03 AM
But Howell does refuse to include some of Nonte's case modifications and techniques that the Major put in his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions," citing the plenitude of obsolete shells and basic brass now being manufactured that was not available in Nonte's day, and, of course, the ever-present danger.

Something that might put this in a better light. I got my copy of Custom Cartridges directly from Howell at his Stevensville, MT. When I questioned Mr. Howell about Nonte's work he was not very flattering. He "relieved" Nonte at Handloader/Rifle. I came away with the feeling that Mr. Howell did not like Mr. Nonte and maybe the feeling was mutal. I also came away with the feeling that indirect reference to Nonte's work by Howell were biased.

On the other hand Howell was most pleasant about Donnelly's work, although he noted the reliance on CotW in Donnelly's work. But then so does Nonte.

Ain't gun politics grand.

alamogunr
01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I am a fan of some of the African Classics:
"Pondoro" the story of John Taylor. this is a really good read.
"African Cartridges and Loads" by John Taylor is excellent.
"Man Eaters of the Kumaon" by Jim Corbett (my absolutely favorite book).
"Wonderings of an Elephant Hunter" by W.D.M. Bell (Karamojo Bell) is a TERRIFIC book!

I am assuming that no serious shooter would be without the books of Elmer Keith and Townsend Whelen. I have been priviledged to have met both as well as Bill Jordan (extremely tall with HUGE hands(:>)).

"Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern was a textbook for me and I learned to shoot a revolver the way "that it is intended". Amazing what one can learn when "shown the way" by such as the great teacher Ed McGivern (entirely through his book).

Peter Capsticks book, "Death in the long grass" is a classic (and a scary one, at that)!!

Dale53

Thanks for the listing of the Jim Corbett book. I got that book in the early 50's in one of those school programs that allow children to order books through the school. It was a paperback and may not have been full text since I read it as a 4th or 5th grader. I imagine that it would not be allowed in schools today. It stayed at my mother's house for many years and I couldn't find it after she passed away. I'm going to try to find a copy for my own library and possibly try to get my grandsons to read it. I occasionally see other Corbett books on ebay or on some of the book search sites. Are they as good?

MT Gianni
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=carpetman;266520]ANybody read or heard of Elmer Kelton---he lives here in San Angelo.[
Sure, The Pumkin Rollers, The Man who rode Midnight and The time it never Rained were good ones also someting about when the cowboys went on strike? Good author. Another Texan I enjoyed reading was J.Frank Dobie: Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver and most of his others. Gianni