PDA

View Full Version : Sshooting plated 300 blackout

Alvin
01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Posting this for someone from a different forum, advised him to check out the fun we have here. I told him I think it's fine and to reduce the load to be on the safe side, but he needs to chronograph the speed. Am I right? Thanks for the help in advance.

Anyone use the xtreme 150 gr plated bullets on their blackout loads? I know with plated you should load as if they were plain lead bullets. Currently I'm using Sierra Game king 150gr spitzer bullets with 17.5 gr of IMR4227, a full supersonic load. I have no idea the velocity it's pushing because I don't have a chrono (yet) and there is no velocity/pressure data posted on this (that I'm aware of). I'm just wondering if it is safe to push a plated bullet out with the same load data...this is probably the wrong forum but any one with some insight/experience on this I would really appreciate.

cstrickland
01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Posting this for someone from a different forum, advised him to check out the fun we have here. I told him I think it's fine and to reduce the load to be on the safe side, but he needs to chronograph the speed. Am I right? Thanks for the help in advance.

Anyone use the xtreme 150 gr plated bullets on their blackout loads? I know with plated you should load as if they were plain lead bullets. Currently I'm using Sierra Game king 150gr spitzer bullets with 17.5 gr of IMR4227, a full supersonic load. I have no idea the velocity it's pushing because I don't have a chrono (yet) and there is no velocity/pressure data posted on this (that I'm aware of). I'm just wondering if it is safe to push a plated bullet out with the same load data...this is probably the wrong forum but any one with some insight/experience on this I would really appreciate.

from the Xteme website

Load Info:
- Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
- All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell

Although I did not look close enough to see why they make this recommendation, maybe the copper plate will not hold up, and it will foul the barrel. Most load data give an estimated minimum and maximum velocity, so your friend should be able to keep it with the limits by using that data, and not need a chronograph.

Ford SD
01-09-2014, 11:27 AM

From the data I have you are very near the top end of 4227 (Data for jacketed bullets)
Around 1900 fps with 17.5 around 50,200 CUP*
new data posted on the Hodgdon site

4227 (made in Canada) or
4227 not made in Canada

Just Wondering ???

sdcitizen
01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Tried some of those plated 150's in a 308 last year, still have 470 from a box of 500. My experience says they work fine up to 1500 fps, but somewhere between 1500 and 1600 the plating starts flying off en route to the target, and at 1700 the plating will exit the bullet very close to the muzzle. This was in a 1 in 10 twist rifle, I'm assuming too many rpms are to blame.

Poppa-64
03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
7.9 Lil Gun, COL 1.95", 1030fps from 8.5" barrel.
Did not function well from Magpul mags, but ran 100% from old Colt 20 rdrs.