PDA

View Full Version : .38 spl blanks?

nonferrous
01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have info or data regarding loading .38 Spl blanks?

Thanks

Idz
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Blanks aren't something to play around with. People have died from blanks. If you want some look at http://www.westernstageprops.com and follow their warnings about using them.

nonferrous
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks for that, I went there and things are a little sparse. Midway and Mid South are out of stock with what they do carry. It was for a friend who needed it for a stage play and I talked him into using a .22 starter pistol.

Thanks again, Len

targetfreak
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I had the same question a few years ago. The answer, after hearing back from many people is: no. At least, that's true if one wants to NOT use blackpowder. I won't let BP get anywhere near my modern weapons, so I kept searching. Finally, I found out that Winchester makes SMOKELESS .38Spl blanks, for which I needed a distributor. I found 3Tailer sold them back then, and got a box (they didn't even charge a hazmat fee for shipping!). And, those blanks are LOUD! Even louder than a medium .357mag load (I reload). Recently (last month) I looked for those blanks again, and cannot find them anywhere. 3Tailer no longer offers them. I don't know if Winchester even still makes them, what with them trying to make enough conventional ammo during this particular time period.
I don't want to splash more cold water, but some answers to my question back then suggested that the smokeless powder being used in those blanks is not obtainable by the general public, because it would be way too dangerous if someone tried to load real cartridges with it.

Certaindeaf
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that, I went there and things are a little sparse. Midway and Mid South are out of stock with what they do carry. It was for a friend who needed it for a stage play and I talked him into using a .22 starter pistol.

Thanks again, Len
I don't know what kind of set will be involved but perhaps a prop/"toy" gun could be used and the/an audio system could generate the report.

DLCTEX
01-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Why are you so opposed to using black powder? I have used it for blanks in everything from 22's to 45's to shotguns with no I'll effects. Just clean the Gus well using hot water afterward. Powder then a wax plug for cartridges and cornmeal in the was for shotshells. The blackpowder gives the added smoke for effect.

45-70 Chevroner
01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I have tried in a 38 special case, 3grs of Bullseye and a tightly packed piece of cotton ball, enough to fill up the case ahead of the powder and it will make a noise like an anemic 22. It will not set the cotton on fire, but it will probably be seen by the audience.

winchester85
01-10-2014, 12:43 PM
i too have used black powder for 38 spl blanks with a wax plug over the top. the only problem i had was the primers backing out just enough to sometimes prevent the cylinder from turning freely.

David2011
01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
What about using primed cases only? If standard primers aren't loud enough try magnums. They're still dangerous, particles will leave the bore and of fired close or in contact they will cause injuries but still safer than blanks.

David

DLCTEX
01-11-2014, 01:10 AM
When making blanks you may need to enlarge the flash hole for the primer to avoid the primer being pushed back. Mark these in some way and never load them with regular loads.