PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day Hunting

David2011
01-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Warning to sensitive readers: I'm shooting my hunting rifle at higher velocties than I care to try to develop cast boolits for so I confess to using Ballistic Tips in my 6.5x55. I do use CBs in the revolver, though.

My Hunting Story:

Thursday (Jan 2) afternoon in West Texas. Got to the stand. It's a 6 foot square platform that's 6 feet high with a steel railing. Not a cloud in the sky. The temperature was mild, as in cool but not real cold. Had my full hunting gear on- insulated bibs and hunting coat, but didn’t need to zip up to stay warm. The hood was up to prevent sunburn on my face. In fact, I kept going in a cycle of nodding off and waking every few minutes I was so comfy. I woke up just as a herd of piggies and a sow were leaving the feeder 140 yards to the east. Drat, no time for a shot. No prob, they’re headed for the other feeder 110 yards to the south. While they’re out of sight behind the brush between the feeders I rearrange for the optimum position on that feeder. The rail around the stand lets me settle in almost as well as if on a bench. After the settle down to their feeding the sow, about 200-225 lb, offers a good side view of her head so I shoot. Thwump! Good hit. She spins and falls. I’ve learned to rack another round as soon as I shoot and get out from behind the scope so I can see what else is going on. Sometimes one will look around trying to figure out what’s going on. I didn’t quite understand what was going on but saw another pig that appeared to be wounded running off to the right of the feeder so I shot it. Heard the bullet hit again. The big sow seemed to be squealing some so I shot it in the head again. In retrospect, it was unnecessary. Decided to stay in the stand and see what else might come in. The sun was setting. I packed my stuff and got down to ground level expecting my buddy to be coming to pick me up soon. He didn’t and I got bored so I decided to do some dry fire trigger control practice so I unloaded my rifle and settled in underneath the stand to practice. I’ve been told many times about the sensitive hearing of hogs but this one walked into the view of my scope while I was dry firing. Bad Karma on its part. As usual, it moved around rapidly for a couple of minutes and then settled down on the corn- right behind a small yucca or palmetto that was just a single fan of leaves. I couldn’t tell which end I was seeing until the head came up a little and the ears came out from behind the leaves. I waited a few more minutes and decided to shoot through the single small plant. The hog wasn’t moving from the treasure trove of corn that it had to itself. I knew it was close to the hog and didn’t expect significant deflection so I used the ears as a guide for where to shoot. I later saw that it hit between the eyes and exited the back of the head. I never saw a hog quit quivering and jerking that fast.

After that I sat back down but kept hearing noises in the brush behind me. Of course, when you stand up to look you never see anything but it wasn’t just the wind so I got back up on the platform. About 30-45 minutes later at least two sows and a bunch of piggies came in, eating around their dead buddy. They didn’t care. They would eat it, too if they were really hungry. After they settled in I shot the biggest one and it ran behind the brush to the right only about 10 yards away. I heard the bullet hit and it was definitely wounded. The remainder ran away back and to the left to a tree line 100-150 yards away. They slowed down as they got close to the tree line and I shot the fifth one of the day. The bullet hit and it ran in a small circle after the hit but ran off into the brush. All of this was in about 1-1/2 or 2 hours.

After the fifth pig I went and checked on those I shot earlier. I went to the east feeder first. The sow appeared to be about 250 pounds and very dead. At the south feeder the sow was a little smaller, about 200 pounds. As I approached, I heard the second pig squeal and try to run. Apparently the hit to the sow went through and wounded the little one. It looked like it only weighed about 20 pounds. I drew my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt and shot it again, this time with a cast boolit. They work just as well as expensive HXPs on hog head shots. It squealed at the hit. Placement was not perfect since it was trying to run. A shot to the ear stopped the squealing. Tough pig!

David

Sparky141
01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun . Hopefully your buddy has a big truck to haul all of that pork away .

captaint
01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
This does sound like my kind of fun. I'd like to sit up there with my Hiwall and whack a few of those pigs. Afraid I live in the wrong part of the country for that. Mike

David2011
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun . Hopefully your buddy has a big truck to haul all of that pork away .

My buddy had MY truck. Need better arrangements next trip, like I drop him off and keep my tryck handy. It was no problem at all to haul them all.

Mike,

The Hiwall would be perfect. We're trending toward heavier boolits going slower. Hope to have my cast boolit .375 H&H ready before the next trip. Going for 250 grains at the slowest accurate velocity; hoping for 1800-2000 fps range.

David

horsesoldier
01-09-2014, 05:08 AM
You get the chance try some 125 grain partitions in that swede. I shoot them at a little more than 2700 FPS out of my 22 inch barreled Tikka. I use more varget than I care to mention here but it shoots fairly flat and drives through about 3.5 feet of elk before it stops. I keep wanting to switch over to berger vld's for longer range stuff but the partition still punches through both sides of a deer even at 500 yards.

CastingFool
01-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you had a great day. I'm jealous. Love to be able to shoot some pigs.

David2011
01-12-2014, 01:33 AM
You get the chance try some 125 grain partitions in that swede. I shoot them at a little more than 2700 FPS out of my 22 inch barreled Tikka. I use more varget than I care to mention here but it shoots fairly flat and drives through about 3.5 feet of elk before it stops. I keep wanting to switch over to berger vld's for longer range stuff but the partition still punches through both sides of a deer even at 500 yards.

Sounds interesting. I'm getting 2875 fps out of the Nosler 120 gr BTs using H4895 but am always open to another bullet. What would the partition do for me that the BT doesn't? I just started using the BT a few years ago because some were available and it was plenty accurate so I haven't experimented with other bullets. It also does a good job on deer and pigs.

The rifle isn't a Swede, btw. It's a custom rifle built on a '98 action with an aftermarket everything- barrel, trigger, stock, scope and mounts, pillar/glass bedding. I only re-used the action which I trued in a lathe, the bolt which got the handle forged down and the bottom metal which I worked over in a mill and made all pretty and smooth. I built it about 5 years ago and would like to build another but don't know what I would do or what caliber to build it in that I would like better.

David

TXGunNut
01-12-2014, 03:17 AM
I've had deer do the same thing, shot a nice spike buck early one morning. It dropped in it's tracks so I sat back and enjoyed the morning until my brother arrived a couple of hours later to pick me up. Saw well over a dozen deer that morning, many walked within a few feet of it and only one acted a bit startled. It was warm and I didn't want to butcher a second deer before breakfast or I'd have shot another. I've had the same group of pigs give me a second opportunity and one group of javelina actually presented me with four shooting opps but I was having scope issues that day. The hunt isn't necessarily over when a dead critter hits the ground.