PDA

View Full Version : Build-up

Sliver Shooter
01-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey Guys, are any of you fellas seeing any build-up in your barrels? I've read some threads that are talking of it. As a rule I have heard nothing but positive results with PC boolits. Would one look for this problem with fast twist barrels?

Maximumbob54
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Build up of what? All my barrels with any coating as long as I've done my part right are all clean. I've run both epoxy and polyester based PC and the Klass Kote two part epoxy paint. No build up at any velocity so far.

Sliver Shooter
01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I see KYShooter has a post of the same subject. Lets follow it for answers and comments

bmiller
01-08-2014, 09:44 AM
The only buildup I have seen was when I pushed harbor freight red at normal jacketed velocities in my Remington sps bolt gun. It had red streaks in the barrel that where tough to get out. In all fairness, I was trying to see what the speed limit was. I knew I was going too fast, accuracy stunk, but it sure blew up ant hills!

popper
01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Only when I shave the coating off when loading.

Boogieman
01-09-2014, 01:35 AM
I had some mild leading in 45acp with HF red was using a Lee FC die for crimping. the case bell was hitting the sizer ring going into it. changed to an old style taper crimp die, problem solved. I don't know if a roll crimp on a revolver load would damage the coating when it is fired. I'll have to try some 357mags next.

freebullet
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
I noticed getting the dies just perfect were difficult with the pc. Taper crimp die or seat & crimp separate maybe helpful with the pc. My standard die would jack up the coating on the 9 boolits until it was just right.