PDA

View Full Version : AR-500 small plate- best way to hang it

gray wolf
01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Came across a small AR500 small steel plate with two holes like little ears on the top corners.
Looks like about 4 or 5 " It's a little beat up but no dents in it or holes.
The stands they make for theses are not in my puny budget but I think I can swing some chain and some S hooks. Anyone have any ideas as to the best way to hang this so I can shoot at it with the 44 mag. ??

Sam

waco
01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
You can buy inexpensive brackets for making saw horses at any home improvement store along with cheap 2x4's

gray wolf
01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Well that looks easy enough, I don't no why I thought it would have to be some kind of high tech thing.
I can do that.

Thank you

waco
01-07-2014, 03:48 PM
You betcha!

MtGun44
01-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Put bolts thru the ears, head on uprange side, tight nut on the back then put
the last link of the chain over the threaded part on the backside and washer and
double nuts. Single nuts rattle off. Anything on the front gets cut, and the links
will, too, eventually, but MUCH later when on the backside.

Bill

rond
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Frozone
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Put bolts thru the ears, head on uprange side, tight nut on the back then put
the last link of the chain over the threaded part on the backside and washer and
double nuts.

Another advantage to this mount is the plate hangs at a fair angle with the top forward, Any ricochets and most splatter go into the ground.

RickinTN
01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
I went a little different route. My son had a long riding mower drive belt break and I used it woven through the holes. I drove two 6' "T" post in the ground about three feet apart and connected it to the post with automotive hose clamps. My cost was the "T" post and the clamps. I'm not sure, but thinking the belt may hold up to hits better than a chain, at least a thin one.
Hope you enjoy the target!
Rick

gray wolf
01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
Put bolts thru the ears, head on up range side, tight nut on the back then put
double nuts.
Another advantage to this mount is the plate hangs at a fair angle with the top forward, Any ricochets and most splatter go into the ground.
Yes I think the idea is sound and a good thing to have the plate tilt to the berm. I think the spatter and chance of a bullet come back is very much reduced. The thing I want to avoid is having the plate swing so far back that it wants to come up and over the 2X4 it will be hanging from. Can this be controlled with the heaviness of the chain ? as in a heavier chain will offer more resistance to the plate and retard the swinging motion.
#2 What is the best way to get a good ringing sound from a hit.
#3 There are times I tend to over think things, is this one of those times ?

Sam

finishman2000
01-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I made and shoot a lot of steel (just got a 4x12 sheet of ar550 delivered) and have tried everything to hang targets. The best thing I have found it farm machine belting from my local tractor supply. it has belting layers in the rubber that allow the bullets to go right through and more or less self seal. I cut them into 2" strips for rifle and pistol targets and 1" strips for 22 rimfire.
second choice is old fire hose. third is lawn tractor tires because they have nylon belts verses metal in cat tires which is impossible to cut. chain is way down the list and rigid mounting at an angle is last. You can't hear the hits on a rigid mounted plate...it won't ring like a hanging plate.

BruceB
01-10-2014, 07:33 PM
"The thing I want to avoid is having the plate swing so far back that it wants to come up and over the 2X4 it will be hanging from. Can this be controlled with the heaviness of the chain ?" QUOTE

Certainly, longer (and heavier) chains will absorb more energy from the impact, and cushion it to a larger degree. Start with chains longer than you think you need, and experiment by gradually shortening the length of chain between bar and target. This can be done just by moving the points of attachment for the chains. I'd begin with about 3-foot lengths, I think.

On my full-size IPSC target (3/8" AR500) there's a section of 1"-square tubing welded across its back to accept a length of rebar which is supported on T-posts. However, this target weighs about 80 pounds, and even 12-gauge slugs and buckshot are pretty-much shrugged off without damage.

This IPSC target hangs at a slight angle from vertical, with the bottom further from the firing line than the top. This does a fine job of deflecting bullets down to the ground.

QUOTE #3 There are times I tend to over think things, is this one of those times ?

Heavens, NO. Far better to anticipate the problem, and PREPARE FOR IT, than to bumble along in a fog until it bites you in the nether regions. No Sir, you will have an enjoyable and safe way of shooting steel by thinking it out ahead of time.

Enjoy.

Wolfer
01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure if I'm cheap or just lazy. Mines hanging from short pieces of barb wire. When I do shoot one in two, which is rare, I just put on a new one. Woody

gray wolf
01-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Some great ideas, I new I could depend on you men to help out.

novalty
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Gray wolf, I have seen people use shepards hooks to hang them too.

rockshooter
01-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I hang mine from a frame made from rebar using paracord- cheap and easy to replace the paracord.
loren

MtGun44
01-11-2014, 03:01 AM
If the plate is shot very much, any of the frontside mounts fail pretty quickly,
backside last a lot longer. Yes, heavier chain will make it swing less.

Bill

Russel Nash
01-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Gray wolf, I have seen people use shepards hooks to hang them too.

I was just going to say that, shepard's hooks.

I know a little bit about making targets. These are mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WpLA0J8mO0

The only downside with such a small plate and knowing how cheaply these shepard hook plant hangers are made now, hitting them with a .44 Mag will make it swing all over the place.

Two chains or belts would be ideal, otherwise if you hit it off center, it will just want to spin like a dang top. Old firehose works well too. Just ask your local VFD for spare hose they don't need.

grumman581
01-11-2014, 04:14 AM
You could also use two pieces of rebar with a hook bent into each end instead of the chain, depending upon the size of the holes in the plate right now.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I made a simple frame out of 12-14" pine logs. They can soak up a lot of splatter. Chains bolted (nylock nuts) to the back of plate then secured to the top log with fence wire. I used some light chain (maybe 3/16th?) I had on hand and figured I would be replaceing it soon, so I went ahead and bought a couple feet of heavy chain (probably 5/16ths), but I haven't shot through the light stuff yet.