PDA

View Full Version : .562+denim=58 PH right?

charger 1
12-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I know my twist in the PH is a tad quick fer RB's but I got a 562 rb mold commin anyhoo just to try. I'm thinkin this might be a good size cause my daughter and wife through out pure cotton jeans like theres no tomorrow. They range all the way from .018 to .024 in thickness. I'm thinkin somewhere in there theres a size thatl'll be friendly to me. Any probs with pure cotton denim I'm not seein?

12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Charger, My buddy, who is a major RB shooter, and I have lately been using blue jeans as patch material. Carefull to avoid those stretchy jeans, we have been getting some very good results. Traditional patches weren't giving consistant results and in the process of switching lubes, ball diameters, powder charges, etc, we hit upon some great results with blue jean patches. Who knows what the secret is, and who cares? It worked. Right now we are using the last of some South African bullet lube (loose and runny stuff) and will be starting on some of the "boob lube" in the future. The weave pattern seems to affect results as there have been varying results with different types of blue jean material. Some old "Docker" pants with a tight weave gave exceptional performance. Cut the patches ahead of time, stack them in a microwave proof container with some lube and melt same into the fabric. Jeans that stretch must have some elastic in them so we avoid them. I imagine they would melt in the barrel when fired. Wal-Mart has a fabric section and with dial caliper in tow, we have purchased denim in the right thickness range. More consistant than worn jeans. Cheap, too. Good luck. 725

charger 1
12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Well I'm thinkin/hopin that because I'm the less desireable 48 twist the heavy weave might help me.

hpdrifter
12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Charger, if the twist is a bit fast and the jeans don't work right off, might try lowering the charge a little. Try going down in 5 grn increments.

Round balls shoot fine in my TC Hawken. 1-48" twist. 70-83 grains FFg. Some of the subs are faster, so smaller charges yet may be necessary if shoot the subs. Even 3F gives more pressure.

charger 1
12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Charger, if the twist is a bit fast and the jeans don't work right off, might try lowering the charge a little. Try going down in 5 grn increments.

Round balls shoot fine in my TC Hawken. 1-48" twist. 70-83 grains FFg. Some of the subs are faster, so smaller charges yet may be necessary if shoot the subs. Even 3F gives more pressure.

I'm noticing some fellas are using a cornmeal tween shot and PRB as well acting as a gas check if the prb isnt a super tight fit, which it wont be all the way down the PH so I may try that if it gives me grief

mooman76
12-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I have used allot of fabrics before in fact I rarely buy material for patches. The jeans should work good beings you have that much leway. I have used flanel which works ok on lighter loads. What works real good is an old military BDUs. Has a nice tight patch and holds up to the heavy loads. I use an old cotten dress shirt for regular plinking.

northmn
12-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I see that some don't like to buy patching but I have had good luck in a fabric store buying cotton drill and cotton duck. It is tighter weaved than denim and a little tougher. While I ususally have had better results with a larger ball than thick patching I do not know if you can get anything between a 562 and a 575.

Northmn

Rattus58
12-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I know my twist in the PH is a tad quick fer RB's

Yer right... Ideally it should be around 1:87.... :)

Aloha... :cool:

Nardoo
12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I am betting that the denim will be fine as patching, need to ensure it is good tight fit is all. Keep the charge down around 40 or 50 gns of FFg and try a wet lube. If that doesn't work I will be surprised.

Nardoo

Baron von Trollwhack
12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
When I was shooting a PH carbine with the 1/48 long ago, it seemed to me that because the grooves were shallow (MADE FOR A MINIE) I lost accuracy if the charge got too substantial. I also had better shooting with a 570 ball and a thinner patch because of the land/groove relationship. Wally's 100% cotton ticking(if USA made like my old supply) well washed measured .017, old well worn all cotton duck head khakis were about .015. Pocket drill (blue jean and work pants pockets) was .011. Speer used to make the 570's. Now I didn't use a starting peg & mallet, just a common short starter and sought a load that was accurate enough for hunting, but would still load easily with the ramrod. I think that a lot of powder with a .562 ball and a thick patch in shallow groves is a hard thing to make shoot well. Windage I think. Sixty grains of 2fg under a 570 ball will penetrate a medium deer shoulder to hip and flatten the ball nearly like a half dollar. BvT

Maven
12-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I've used fabric store denim with a .562" RB in a .58cal. Harper's Ferry Dragoon pistol (Navy Arms/Zoli) replica I once owned. As with any other fabric, it pays to take a micrometer and possibly a RB to the store with you since denim comes in different thicknesses. Once the store personnel find out what you want, they're usually most helpful.

Hellgate
01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Keep in mind the varying thickness of worn denim. I'd think the seat of the pants would be thinner than down by the cuffs.